Officer shooting/Rampage?

This is a discussion on Officer shooting/Rampage? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by packinnova Barring the tragedy at hand, I'd like to know how they accomplish this one legally... They're going to hold the entire ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Officer shooting/Rampage?

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Barring the tragedy at hand, I'd like to know how they accomplish this one legally... They're going to hold the entire town against their will? They've already identified the shooter so they can't hold the entire town as suspects...
    I'd be interested to hear the explanation on that one as well.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    How does a 20 yr. old get a job as a full time police?!

Federal firearms law doesn't even allow him to purchase/own a firearm at that age.

- Janq
    I'm not sure I really have an issue with the age factor. Shoot, if you're old enough to go off to war and die you're darn well old enough to patrol your own neighborhood, but I suppose I'm rabbit-trailing again. Clearly he had other issues besides age. Mentally unstable comes to mind - especially in light of the jealous boyfriend gone berzerk statement. Also appears another officer was injured in response...hopefully he/she pulls out ok.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Federal law may prohibit his purchase of a handgun, but it would not preclude the issuance of a sidearm by his employer, nor would it prohibit a private sale or gifting/bequeathing of a handgun. He could, of course, legally purchase and own long guns.
    Understood, but still as per the govt. at that age he is a minor.
    He would have gone through academy at 19 yrs. old, fresh out of HS.
    That to me is stunning considering the position.

Pack'n it's well known one can join the military at 18 and that children as young as 16 snuck in during WWI & II and wars prior.
    But being a private in the military is not analogous to working in the civilian world as a sheriffs deputy full time and patrolman part time.

I won't be so fast to buy into mental illness so much as youth and poor judgement, or some combination there of.
    Maybe I'm off base here but a 20 yr. old cop that just seems completely odd to me on multiple fronts.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Barring the tragedy at hand, I'd like to know how they accomplish this one legally... They're going to hold the entire town against their will? They've already identified the shooter so they can't hold the entire town as suspects...
    With enough firepower, all things are possible...

I admit I've not read all posts here in detail. While it sounds like they were all young people, I can't help but wonder if armed resistance could have minimized the carnage?!

It doesn't apply directly here, but this brings to mind the two failed attempts at carry reform in WI, both times within a vote of overriding the Governor's veto...arrrgghhh!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

VIP Member
    Janq, I wouldn't be surprised if the kid was not a full officer but more like an auxiliary officer. We have them here as Public Safety Officer and they deal with minor fender benders, noise complaints, etc.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Anytime, anywhere, anybody.

- Janq
    Well put Janq.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Administrator
    Just to quickly address the age thing- He worked for the S.O. ( think jailer) and thats quite common for young guys just starting out. It is also common for the jailers to work part time for small villages for free or almost free to gain experiance and a foot in the door.
    Most of the time these very young guys are kept on a short leash and watch over by the older guys. It saves the small town budgets and gives the young guys an education.

FWIW, I see no indication that being a young LEO has anything to do with him killing these people.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    The only thing I can see that has to do with the killings is a COMPLETE lack of respect for another's life.

Z

Surely this article must be wrong! The gunman was a cop? But, I thought the cops were the only people that could be trusted with guns other than the military!

Now the anti's will have to go after the guns that cops wear too. Won't they?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

No matter which way you look at this, it's a tragedy.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

From Reuters. Looks like the deputy got jealous:

"Peterson, who was accused of storming into his ex-girlfriend's house, was shot by the Crandon SWAT team, the newspaper said. Peterson's former long-time girlfriend was among the dead, it said."

Earlier in the day, Crandon Mayor Gary Bradley told FOX News that the town was under a "gag order" regarding the overnight event
    How can a mayor ban people from talking about something?

When a civillian goes off and shoots 6-7 people, the media/anti's go after the guns right? Take out the cop and put a regular guy in the story and that's all you would read about.
    Now, put the cop back in the story and you won't read one word about gun control. See where I'm going with this line of thinking?

I also never met a 20 year old that I thought had the life experience to handle that kind of job.
    One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.

Sir Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by FNP-9er View Post
    I also never met a 20 year old that I thought had the life experience to handle that kind of job.
    I actually agree with you yet we have 18 year olds in Iraq being told to fill a role halfway between police and combat troop. The danger of the combat troop and the required restraint & accountablility of police... Go Figure.

I also agree, since this involves a LEO there will be no discussion of gun control.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links