Officer shooting/Rampage?

This is a discussion on Officer shooting/Rampage? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How many times did they call 911!?!?! This sounds troubling... I amnot going to cry becase a psychopath who murderred a house full of people ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Officer shooting/Rampage?

How many times did they call 911!?!?! This sounds troubling... I amnot going to cry becase a psychopath who murderred a house full of people was shot, but I would like to know how this things was really handled.

2. Remove Ads

By the count in this article the Kegley's and their crew of employees dialed 911 a total of 24 times.
    Three hours went by before Mike Kegley walked up the road, leaving his _family_ behind with a mass murderer asleep in a vehicle in his driveway (!), to go see if the police had arrived. They had, 3hrs. later to which :45 later they decided to reach out to the shooter by having the DA call his cell waking him from a nap as opposed to I don't know....running up on this kid as he slept and detaining him with much in the way of force and surprise (!?).

If I lived in these peoples town I'd be seriously concerned about the methods, validity, and usefullness of the local PD and sherriff departments.
    As well I would add the closest WI State Police barracks number into my home and cell phone speed dials to reference as primary inlieu of dialing 911.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Janq, that's the least of the strange information in that article. For one, I know 911 isn't the fastest in the world, but 3 hours to respond to a multiple homicide? Twenty plus calls with no response? Letting the guy snooze for 45 minutes, then shooting him as he walks away from the house? I'm sure there's more to the story (isn't there always), but this is just bizzare.

ETA - you got in most of my points before I did...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Wow...very strange indeed. Almost sounds like they were waiting to take him out, regardless...as in an assassination. 50 yards from the house, with no hostage or threat...only a handgun. Boom.

Rick

This business with the Kegleys is almost surreal. I can't believe they, knowing what he did, and in posession of his rifle, let him back in the house. And why did it take SEVEN HOURS to get a police response? I'm afraid that if it was me, the police sniper wouldn't have had a job to do. 24 calls to 911. Unbelieveable!

What's REALLY scary is that this is one of two states that won't trust its citizens to be able to defend themselves.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Distinguished Member
    Does any-one know??? thought I heard on the news tonight that he died of 3 or 4 self inflicted gunshot wounds to the head, not from sniper fire. How does one shoot himself 3 or 4 times in the head??? The more you hear of this story, the stranger it becomes.

Z

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    How ridiculous!! 3-4 self inflicted gunshot wounds to the head? Leave it up to the media to report such trash.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    How ridiculous!! 3-4 self inflicted gunshot wounds to the head? Leave it up to the media to report such trash.
    Up until a few nights ago, I would have agreed. I was on scene of a suicide seconds after a person shot themselves in the head with a .38. Although not in the best shape, they still had more control over their body than one would think for several minutes before dying. I wont go into the details, I'll just say that I was suprised by this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

News reports said he shot himself under the chin twice, and then once in the head. Too stupid to stick it in his mouth and get it over with......
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Probably intended to kill himself but only succeeded in blowing his face to pieces by placing it under the chin, TWICE!!! Then he put it to his head.

I remember a McMurtry book, Dead Man's Walk I believe, where the rangers were discussing the best way to kill yourself if it looked like the Commanchees were going to catch you. General consensus was to look stright down the barrel and pull the trigger so you knew youwere going to blow your brains out.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I was wondering if he had a select fire AR to do 3 to the head, but apparently he used his sidearm?!?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Coverup?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,301704,00.html

Wis. Official Tells Public Not to Talk to Reporters After Crandon Shooting Rampage

Sunday , October 14, 2007

AP
    ADVERTISEMENT

MADISON, Wis. —
    The state's top law enforcement official is drawing criticism for encouraging the public not to answer reporters' questions about a north woods shooting by an off-duty sheriff's deputy that left seven dead, including the gunman.

Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen last week said law enforcers would not answer questions about the case in the city where it took place, and he relayed a request that Crandon residents ignore reporters asking questions. He then left the podium without taking questions.

A week after the shooting, authorities have released little or no information on autopsy findings, certain 911 calls made during a manhunt and crime-scene evidence. The crime is one state's biggest homicide cases, and in addition to being a deputy, the shooter was also a part-time officer on the Crandon police force.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel said in an editorial Thursday that among the questions left unanswered is whether there was a problem with the police response, and whether psychological screening is needed for police recruits.

"The news media must give the survivors room to grieve in private," the editorial said. "But they must also do their job — report on a matter of great importance to the state. Unfortunately, Van Hollen has signaled that he may make the media's job harder."

Van Hollen said Tuesday at a news conference that victims' families had "asked me to ask the community at large to stop talking to the press. As such, we in the law enforcement community will do our part by having no further comments to the press from Forest County."

Van Hollen was simply passing on the victims' families' "very human desire to grieve in peace," said Kevin St. John, a spokesman for the state Department of Justice, which Van Hollen leads. More information will be released in time, he said.

Still, the Wausau Daily Herald called Van Hollen's statement inappropriate. "No one has the authority to suggest that an entire community remain silent," read an editorial Friday.

Unanswered questions still abound, the editorial said, including what led to the suspect's death. "How did he end up with three pistol wounds to the head and a rifle wound to an arm?"

Authorities have said that 20-year-old Tyler Peterson gunned down six people, including his ex-girlfriend, when he went to their late-night pizza party Oct. 7. Peterson wounded another person at the party before fleeing.

Officers from a number of agencies tracked Peterson to a cabin later in the day, but Peterson fatally shot himself as they closed in, the attorney general has said.

The shooting drew dozens of reporters to Crandon, a town of 2,000 about 100 miles northwest of Green Bay. Many residents refused to speak to them after Van Hollen's statement. Some told reporters to go home.

Crandon Mayor Gary Bradley said he wished Van Hollen would have come down harder on the press.

"The news media was very aggressive, very aggressive people. They're not taking into consideration what people are going through here," Bradley said. "They set their cameras up with no regard to where they were. These people aren't running around with their brains."

But Doug Lee, an attorney who writes for Vanderbilt University's First Amendment Center, said that while some reporters do act like "rabid dogs," they're the minority. The attorney general's request reflects a trend in government to treat the media as the enemy, he said.

"You would think in an environment like this one, where there are a lot of emotions flying around, part of the grieving process, part of the healing process, would be to talk and to share," Lee said. "It's somewhat patronizing. Why can't people make their own determinations about speaking to the media?"
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Maybe, just maybe this will help FINALLY passing a ccw law in wi. However, I still doubt it will happen untill we get a new gov.

I think one of the issues this incident brought out is that 20 is just too darned young to be a cop, especially one on a SWAT team. I think you need to be at least 25 to be a cop and at least 30 to be on the SWAT team, but that's just my opinion.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

All LEO postions in my state require you to be 21, but the average age of hire is about 27. I know at 21 I was in no way mature enough to handle a LEO job.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links