Officer shooting/Rampage?

This is a discussion on Officer shooting/Rampage? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anybody catch this yet? http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/07/wis...ing/index.html (CNN) -- At least five people were killed early Sunday morning in a shooting rampage in northern Wisconsin, a county ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Officer shooting/Rampage?

Officer shooting/Rampage?

Anybody catch this yet?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/07/wis...ing/index.html

(CNN) -- At least five people were killed early Sunday morning in a shooting rampage in northern Wisconsin, a county supervisor told The Associated Press. The shooter -- a law enforcement officer -- was later shot and killed, according to the Oconto County Sheriff's department.
    Stay safe out there folks. Just one more reason to keep yourself OUT of condition white. Clearly, not everyone is as they seem.
    Hope to get more info on this one. Hopefully the reports about the officer are wrong.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    packin - just curious, but why did you give this story a "thumbs up?" Am I missing the meaning (certainly possible), because this isn't a very positive story...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    packin - just curious, but why did you give this story a "thumbs up?" Am I missing the meaning (certainly possible), because this isn't a very positive story...
    I must have hit it by accident. Going to try to edit it out...sorry guys. definitely not meant to be a thumbs up.

--ah got it...had to go to go advanced...
    Last edited by packinnova; October 7th, 2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: screwed up!

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    From FoxNews

At Least 5 Youths Dead After Shooting in Wisconsin
    Sunday, October 07, 2007

Oct. 7: Law enforcement officer stand outside site of deadly shooting in Crandon, Wis.
    A Wisconsin town was to have its state of lockdown lifted after a police chief said law enforcement is no longer looking for a suspect believed to be with the local sheriff's office who went on a killing spree early Sunday morning, gunning down at least five youths in a Crandon home.

Crandon Police Chief John Dennee, speaking outside the police department about two blocks from the shooting site, would not say whether the suspect was dead. But he said: "We're not looking for anybody anymore."

A dispatcher for the State Patrol who declined to give his full name as a matter of department practice said several of the patrol's officers went to Forest County to help investigators because the suspect is an employee of the Forest County Sheriff's Department and a part-time officer for the Crandon Police Department.

"It's a pretty tragic situation here," said Forest County Supervisor Tom Vollmar, who lives just outside Crandon, a city of about 2,000 people. "There are five or six people dead."

The State Patrol and the Crandon Fire Department detoured a steady stream of traffic from two blocks of U.S. Highway 8 in the downtown area. Some residents stood in nearby front yards.

Earlier in the day, Crandon Mayor Gary Bradley told FOX News that the town was under a "gag order" regarding the overnight event but no one in the town can leave church, home or anywhere else they happened to be Sunday morning.

A witness told WMTJ Radio that gunfire erupted in the home at about 3 a.m. Sunday morning. Ten area youths from the ages of 16 to 21 were reportedly in the home when the shots were fired. Fatalities are being reported, but the number of casualties is still unconfirmed.

A family member of one of the victims told WITI-TV, a FOX affiliate, that one of the victims involved in the shooting is a student at the Milwaukee Area Technical College.

The town of Crandon is located about 100 miles north of Green Bay. The area is known for logging, and fishing, hunting and snowmobiling
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Anytime, anywhere, anybody.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    I wonder when the anti-gunner's will call for the disarmament of LEOs......?

(If it had been a civilian, they'd have already been out in force!)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Earlier in the day, Crandon Mayor Gary Bradley told FOX News that the town was under a "gag order" regarding the overnight event but no one in the town can leave church, home or anywhere else they happened to be Sunday morning.
    Barring the tragedy at hand, I'd like to know how they accomplish this one legally... They're going to hold the entire town against their will? They've already identified the shooter so they can't hold the entire town as suspects...

-The Mist (2007)

Sad.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    Sad.
    Very much so...condolences to the families. I'm sure more will be known as the story unfolds but stories such as these do not work in our favor.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    Sad.
    Agreed.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member

From the Associated Press...

http://home.bellsouth.net/s/editoria...ne+topnews&ck=

Off-Duty Wis. Deputy Sheriff Kills 6
    Published: 10/7/07, 7:05 PM EDT
    By ROBERT IMRIE

CRANDON, Wis. (AP) - An off-duty sheriff's deputy went on a shooting rampage at a home early Sunday in northern Wisconsin, killing six people and injuring a seventh before authorities fatally shot him, officials said.

The suspect was 20 years old and worked full-time as a Forest County deputy sheriff and part-time as a Crandon police officer, Sheriff Keith Van Cleve said. He would not release the suspect's name but said he was not working at the time of the shooting.

A seventh shooting victim was in critical condition at a hospital in nearby Marshfield, said Police Chief John Dennee. A Crandon police officer who fired back was treated for minor injuries and released.

Gary Bradley, mayor of the city of about 2,000, said earlier Sunday that the suspect had been brought down by a sniper, but Van Cleve would not confirm that officers shot the suspect.

It wasn't immediately clear what the suspect's motive was. The shooting occurred in a white, two-story duplex about a block from downtown Crandon.

One of the dead was 14-year-old Lindsey Stahl, said her mother, Jenny Stahl, 39.

She said her daughter called her Saturday night and asked whether she could sleep over at a friend's house. Jenny Stahl agreed.

"I'm waiting for somebody to wake me up right now. This is a bad, bad dream," the weeping mother said. "All I heard it was a jealous boyfriend and he went berserk. He took them all out."

The State Patrol and the Crandon Fire Department detoured a steady stream of traffic from two blocks of U.S. Highway 8 in the downtown area. Some residents stood in nearby front yards.

Marci Franz, 35, who lives two houses south of the duplex, said gunshots awoke her.

"I heard probably five or six shots, a short pause and then five or six more," she said. "I wasn't sure if it was gunfire initially. I thought some kids were messing around and hitting a nearby metal building."

Then she heard eight louder shots and tires squealing, she said.

"I was just about to get up and call it in, and I heard sirens," she said. "There's never been a tragedy like this here. There's been individual incidents, but nothing of this magnitude."

The sheriff said he would meet with state Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen on Monday morning to discuss the case. Dennee said the state Department of Criminal Investigation will handle the case because the suspect was a deputy and officer.

The Crandon School District called off classes Monday.

The community, about 225 miles north of Milwaukee in an area known for logging and outdoor activities, is facing a trying time but is pulling together, Bradley said.

"We are a strong community. We always have been," he said. "This is agonizing, but we will prevail."

Tragic...condolences to the families and friends of those who were lost.

Very True...

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Anytime, anywhere, anybody.

- Janq

unfortunately, most people don't see it this way...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

How does a 20 yr. old get a job as a full time police?!

Federal firearms law doesn't even allow him to purchase/own a firearm at that age.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    How does a 20 yr. old get a job as a full time police?!

Federal firearms law doesn't even allow him to purchase/own a firearm at that age.

- Janq
    Federal law may prohibit his purchase of a handgun, but it would not preclude the issuance of a sidearm by his employer, nor would it prohibit a private sale or gifting/bequeathing of a handgun. He could, of course, legally purchase and own long guns.

Hmmmm... Here in SC you have to be 21 to be a Police officer. Can't even take the oath or go to academy until your 21. But I do know it has been waved and lowered in other states that I have heard of.

Tragic. Sad.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links