Can personal firearms be used in Iraq?

This is a discussion on Can personal firearms be used in Iraq? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The USAF Chief of Staff, Gen. T. Michael Moseley, testified before congress he carries a 357 in theater. Asked by Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., chairman ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can personal firearms be used in Iraq?

The USAF Chief of Staff, Gen. T. Michael Moseley, testified before congress he carries a 357 in theater.

Asked by Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., chairman of the House Appropriations defense subcommittee, what he carried in theater; Moseley said a .357.

“Because I figure, if I have to pull a sidearm, I really don’t want to mess [around],” he said.

I doubt it's issued.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Shooterer View Post
    A friend ... was issued an “M-16” even though all her training was on an M-4 (it is a length of pull thing, she a small woman) ...
    Length of pull should be handled via an appropriate adjustable stock, and (I'm guessing) those are standard fare on issued M-16's. As suggested, an armorer should be able to alter the stock to an adjustable one, to accommodate just these sorts of differences.

As for using an unissued weapon, it doesn't surprise me it's verboten, given how the military would then have an uncertain, unspecified degree of effectiveness for weapons in the field (and, hence, the effectiveness of its fighting force), reduced ability for a weaponless solider in the field to simply be able to pick up the weapon of a fallen comrade, the inability to use someone else's spare magazines, and so on.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

As a DoD Contractor, I'm issued a M9 (92FS I think is the civilian model) when I go over. No personal weapons or ammo.
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

Thank you all for your responses and I get the message loud and clear that the answer is NO and that I was a dummy for not doing a search on the subject before posting.

I understand that rules are put in place to save lives and my thought was that if there was something I could do to help that fact not caring if I ever got the firearm back, I would do it.

I will stick with my original plan of sending her things that may make her time a little more pleasant and things that she can give to others that don’t have anyone sending stuff.

Also a lot of prayers.

Thanks again everyone.
    Shooterer
    Last edited by srfl; October 9th, 2007 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Language work around
    Stand up for what's right..... Even if you stand alone.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    SOF Forces do NOT carry any POW's. Army SF still carry/issued Beretta M9's, SEALs the Sig P226, Marine MARSOC/MSOAG the 1911. Army Rangers the Beretta M9, etc.

These are all issued weapons, not POW's.
    SOF don't carry POWs (legally), but they have more options then just these. I've seen old 1911s in SF holsters, there is the M11 (Sig P228) floating around, the HK SOCOM is available (though I've never seen it actually carried), and so on.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I can tell you from personal observation that some AF Aircrews in the Gulf War were carrying unauthorized handguns on the aircraft during missions. I stress UNAUTHORIZED. Had they been caught and prosecuted, there would have been serious consequences. They were well aware of that and made their own choices based on circumstance.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post
    The USAF Chief of Staff, Gen. T. Michael Moseley, testified before congress he carries a 357 in theater.
    Thanks, Arisin Wind. I was not aware of that testimony.

srfl--Been there, done that.

Gonzo--I had heard of it being done in DS and prior, but not since.

General officers have a lot more choices available to them. Patton was famous for his personal weapons. RHIP.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Administrator
    Who was going to tell Patton what he could or couldn't carry?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Who was going to tell Patton what he could or couldn't carry?

Mrs. Patton...the CINCHouse.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Different culture over there, handguns are a status symbol, almost impossible to get on the street, and it's hard to hide an AK.
    Actually,
    When one of my buddies was over therejust recently. He was a 1st Sgt with the 82nd airborne. He knew how to speak Iraqi or Farcie what ever language it is. He was issued a M9, he went down town to a local vender and said he wanted to buy a gun. At first the vender wouldn't sell him a gun. Then when he showed em some cash the vender said oo you mean a gun. He said the guy pulled out brandnew HK's, Glocks, Berettas, etc......All he wanted was a G17. IIRC he paid like $50. He put his beretta in a plastic bag and carried the Glock in his web gear.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    SOF Forces do NOT carry any POW's. Army SF still carry/issued Beretta M9's, SEALs the Sig P226, Marine MARSOC/MSOAG the 1911. Army Rangers the Beretta M9, etc.

These are all issued weapons, not POW's.
    I dont' know how much of this is enforced because my shop in NOVA we are constantly getting military personal in our shop saying there going to buy the gun take it with them and just not bring it back. All of them are buying G19's. I guess because of the IRAQI police issue.

I just know I've been selling guns to Marines, Army guys etc....who state they are a buying the guns to take over with them.

Granted I haven't actually talked to one of them since they left but still.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

It is legal to export firearms for certain purposes, like going hunting in Canada, Mexico, etc.

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Actually,
    When one of my buddies was over therejust recently. He was a 1st Sgt with the 82nd airborne. He knew how to speak Iraqi or Farcie what ever language it is. He was issued a M9, he went down town to a local vender and said he wanted to buy a gun. At first the vender wouldn't sell him a gun. Then when he showed em some cash the vender said oo you mean a gun. He said the guy pulled out brandnew HK's, Glocks, Berettas, etc......All he wanted was a G17. IIRC he paid like $50. He put his beretta in a plastic bag and carried the Glock in his web gear.
    There goes all your taxpayer $$$'s. How do you think they got there?
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Length of pull should be handled via an appropriate adjustable stock, and (I'm guessing) those are standard fare on issued M-16's. As suggested, an armorer should be able to alter the stock to an adjustable one, to accommodate just these sorts of differences.
    Nope, not so. The M-4 and now select M-249 SAWs have adjustable stocks but not any M-16. Sure the armorer could swap some parts, in fact the whole inventory of M-16s could be converted fairly easily, but the Army at least just doesn't work that way.

We work that way because absolute control is the only way a military can work. Soldiers left to their own device might make wise choices like custom M-4geries, AKs or a PSG-1 here and there, but you'd have the other side where a guy might just bring a .500 S&W instead of his rifle. The examples are extreme but the stupidity is real. I once knew a troop who had the idea for a 6 barrel water cooled rotary 12 gauge. Sounded cool until you considered it for 2 seconds.

I've seen at least 3 messages reminding soldiers to only use approved lubrication on their rifles. Left to their own devices, I think some guys might use cosmoline or Astroglide.

There are plenty of ways we could be better equipped, but this is the only way to make sure we're all adequately equipped.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links