Can personal firearms be used in Iraq? - Page 4

Can personal firearms be used in Iraq?

This is a discussion on Can personal firearms be used in Iraq? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My buddy is in the 2nd ID Stryker Brigade in Iraq and he says its a no go. You need to be issued one in ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Can personal firearms be used in Iraq?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    My buddy is in the 2nd ID Stryker Brigade in Iraq and he says its a no go. You need to be issued one in order to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    The SOCCOM guys have limited run weapons that were procured for "testing"... they can get issued just about anything they want... but they are issue weapons.

The reason the AFCoS can carry a personal weapon is because he outranks the theater commander who's orders are what prohibit POWs in theater.
    Not to get too far off topic, but this is irrevalent--CSAF is a force provider (providing the organization, training, and equipping); Commander, MNF-I (also a 4-star) is a combatant commander (the guy who fights wars). Force providers provide forces for fighting, but do not exercise operational or tactical command and control over forces given to a combatant commander.

The only people who outrank the Commander MNF-I are: Commander, CENTCOM; CJCS; SecDef; POTUS.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Not to get too far off topic, but this is irrevalent--CSAF is a force provider (providing the organization, training, and equipping); Commander, MNF-I (also a 4-star) is a combatant commander (the guy who fights wars). Force providers provide forces for fighting, but do not exercise operational or tactical command and control over forces given to a combatant commander.

The only people who outrank the Commander MNF-I are: Commander, CENTCOM; CJCS; SecDef; POTUS.
    That's true as far as actual chain of command goes, but anyone of a higher rank (by definition) outranks anyone of a lower rank. That being said, the theater combatant commander is basically the final word within his combatant command, and, if they are both of equal rank, then the combatant commander's rules apply to anyone who comes into his theater.

THAT all being said, General officers are pretty much outside of the law when it comes to the use of personal or privately owned weapons. It's been that way since forever, and, while it isn't practiced very often these days, it is still (AFAIK) in effect.

It's good to be the king...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Last winter I was in a gun shop with indoor range and saw about 50 men in uniform, all of whom sported pistols in thigh holsters. I overheard they were being deployed to Iraq and I would bet they were all planning on taking those weapons with them...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Last winter I was in a gun shop with indoor range and saw about 50 men in uniform, all of whom sported pistols in thigh holsters. I overheard they were being deployed to Iraq and I would bet they were all planning on taking those weapons with them...
    That's a whole lot of supposition for a uniform and an overheard comment! If they were troops and they were going to Iraq and they were planning to take those pistols you saw with them - who's to say they weren't issue pistols? I took my guys to a private range with our issued weapons prior to deployment - it's fairly unusual but can be done.

I can't make it any clearer - it is absolutely, positively, 100&#37;, without a doubt a SERIOUS violation for uniformed members of the armed forces to carry personal weapons or ammunition in theater. There are very, very few exceptions to this. What folks try to get away with is another matter, but rest completely assured that it is verboten.
    Last edited by OPFOR; December 6th, 2007 at 05:36 AM.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    That's a whole lot of supposition for a uniform and an overheard comment! If they were troops and they were going to Iraq and the were planning to take those pistols you saw with them - who's to say they weren't issue pistols? I took my guys to a private range with our issued weapons prior to deployment - it's fairly unusual but can be done.

I can't make it any clearer - it is absolutely, positively, 100%, without a doubt a SERIOUS violation for uniformed members of the armed forces to carry personal weapons or ammunition in theater. There are very, very few exceptions to this. What folks try to get away with is another matter, but rest completely assured that it is verboten.
    +1 OPFOR--that is "the word"
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

No, but I've known a bunch of guys who have been there, and a few managed to acquire a handgun of their choice.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I know one guy who took a couple of Glock 22s with him. His flight was through military bases and he didn't have to go past TSA when getting on his flights. The bad news is not only was he not supposed to have them, he had them loaded up with gold dot hollowpoints. He did actually use them in combat and is now facing a lot of time in prison.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links