Officer killed in training incident

This is a discussion on Officer killed in training incident within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gun range accident: Ind. officer fatally shoots fellow officer By Tom Wyatt Post-Tribune GARY, Ind. A Gary auxiliary police officer was killed Saturday afternoon ...

Thread: Officer killed in training incident

VIP Member

Officer killed in training incident

Gun range accident: Ind. officer fatally shoots fellow officer

By Tom Wyatt
    Post-Tribune

GARY, Ind. A Gary auxiliary police officer was killed Saturday afternoon when a fellow volunteer officer's gun accidentally discharged a bullet into the man's chest.

Kevin Weaver, 49, died at St. Margaret Mercy Hospital in Dyer. He and two other reserve officers were training at Deb's Gun Range in Hammond, Hammond Police Chief Brian Miller said.

About 3 p.m., Gary police said Reserve Officer Gerald Horton, 52, was attempting to clear his weapon when Weaver accidentally bumped into Horton, causing Horton's gun to fire a .45-caliber round.

'A real tragedy' for Gary

"He was a good officer, a veteran, and a good man," Terry Smith, head of Gary's auxiliary police program, said of Weaver, a Merrillville resident who leaves behind a wife and three children.

Gary Mayor Rudy Clay, who returned from Washington, D.C., on Saturday afternoon, learned of the shooting after exiting his airplane at Midway Airport.

"This is just a real tragedy here," Clay said.

"He was a good man and did some good deeds for a lot of people. His good deeds will live forever."

Weaver, a reservist since 1990, was a longtime custodian for the Gary School Corp. and owned a cleaning company.

"He was a hardworking man," Gary police Cmdr. Samuel Roberts said.

Sun-Times News Group
    Not exactly clear how this happened, but it sounds like some of the "basics" were not being followed. As an additional point, how many LEOs (or others) wear body armor on the range?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I dont, but probably should.

The only time I do is when I'm training myself. I want everything as close as possible to the conditions faced on the street.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I usually don't wear body armor (IIIA tac vest is what we are issued) on the range either. The times I do, its to train on my draws while wearing it and my thigh holster.

Sad an officer lost his life and another, likely, his mental well-being.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Thoughts and Prayers to the family.
    A horrible trade.

I am curious, how does LEO training typically get conducted.
    I know when I took a gunsite class they were very very strict about safety, if you did anything remotely unsafe they were on you in a heartbeat.
    Also we were never allowed to clear our weapons until the instructor directed us to do so and they only under very close supervision.
    We actually did have a AD during a clearing, gun was pointing in safe direction so all was well.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Always wear body armor, especially at the range. I've looked at more muzzles on the range than on the street.

VIP Member
    Tubby - ain't that the truth.

gpsxplr - From this article, it appears that these guys may have been training on their own, at a normal, private range. I can't say for certain, but that is the impression that I get.

"Normal" police training can vary quite a bit. Many official training events are quite sterile, with all the "cold" range procedures in effect. Some can be quite dynamic, with the attendant increase in risk. It all depends on the unit, the type of training, etc. And then, of course, you have guys conducting training on their own (which this seems to be), which can be anything under the sun.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Prayers to the family...

Curious how someone could be "clearing" their weapon in such a way to cause it to hit someone's chest...

Rick

How sad. My family's thoughts and prayers go out to the Officer who now has to live with this and the Deceased Officers Family and Friends. Just a horrible situation.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Rules

It's a real shame when something like this happens that could be avoided by adherance to simple rules.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Senior Moderator
    I dont know of anyone that wears their armor unless they are actually on duty in uniform at the range.

I qualified recently( last month) with State Police, Deputys and various small town cops that dont get awhole lot of range time. It was 102 degrees that day and no one was wearing armour.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    An awful tragedy and one that should not have happened.
    Regardless condolences to family and all who knew him. RIP
    I'm certain that Officer Horton is not sleeping very well.

Sad, sorry to hear this. But, how following basic gun safety procedures, how does one's muzzle get pointed in the direction of another's chest.

Distinguished Member
    So very sad.

Z

Links