Security guard arrested for bringing a gun into a court house,and impersonating a PO.

Security guard arrested for bringing a gun into a court house,and impersonating a PO.

This is a discussion on Security guard arrested for bringing a gun into a court house,and impersonating a PO. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...m23higley.html "June 23, 2005 A Skyline man who prosecutors said passed himself off as a police officer has pleaded not guilty to charges that he ...

Thread: Security guard arrested for bringing a gun into a court house,and impersonating a PO.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...m23higley.html

"June 23, 2005

A Skyline man who prosecutors said passed himself off as a police officer has pleaded not guilty to charges that he took a loaded gun into a downtown San Diego courthouse.

Timothy David Higley, 29, who works as a security guard, is also accused of stopping a motorist in August 2003, although he had no legal authority to do so. He also faces a false registration charge for having illegal California-exempt license plates on his car in October.

If convicted, Higley could be sent to prison for up to six years and four months. He is being held in county jail in lieu of $100,000 bail.

Deputy District Attorney Mary-Ellen Barrett told a San Diego Superior Court judge Monday that Higley showed up at the Hall of Justice June 9 to testify as a witness in a court hearing.

Before his arrival, Higley called a secretary in the District Attorney's Office to say he was running late and asked whether he would be allowed to appear in his security guard uniform.

The secretary told him it was OK.

However, Higley made no mention of a gun or a can of pepper spray, both of which were attached to his uniform, Barrett said. She explained that Higley's uniform looks similar to that of a sheriff's deputy but that he didn't have a Sheriff's Department badge.

"He believes he is a sworn police officer and he is not," she told the judge. She said Higley asked authorities three other times whether he could bring a weapon into the courthouse and each time was told no.

State law prohibits anyone from carrying a weapon into a public building, except peace officers on official business and people who are transporting weapons into court to be used as evidence.

Defense attorney Richard Muir told the judge that the court's security personnel allowed Higley to enter the courthouse through an entrance reserved for law enforcement officers and lawyers. He then went to the building's ninth floor.

The deputies didn't contact Higley about his gun until he was leaving the courthouse. Therefore, Higley believes he had "tacit approval from some number of people to allow him into the building," the attorney said.

Outside the courtroom Monday, Muir said his client has no criminal record and graduated from the police academy five years ago. Higley has not worked as a police officer in San Diego County.

When Higley was arrested last Thursday, police searched his property and found that his car – a Ford Crown Victoria Interceptor – was outfitted with flashing red lights, sirens, a public address system and other accoutrements generally seen on law enforcement vehicles, according to the prosecutor.

A loaded .45-caliber gun and two field interview reports like those used by police when gathering information to support an arrest were found inside the car, Barrett said. "

He should've gotten hired by a PD if that's what he wanted to do. But instead, he is going to jail, lose his job, and lose his peace officers license. I think it's a good thing that he never became a PO. He's not the type of person we need representing us.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Talk about walking into the jaws of justice. I don't understand people who want to act like or impersonate an officer in any way or fashion. To walk into a court house or I should say for court personnel to allow him in to enter a courthouse as he did does not bode well for them. What were they thinking about??
    This guy should really get the book, we don't know what grief he has caused along the way.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    It's scary that he was simply allowed access like that. This guy is obviously a bit off.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Quote Originally Posted by CombatEffective
    It's scary that he was simply allowed access like that. This guy is obviously a bit off.
    It says that they know him and have dealt with him before. So it would be my guess that they allowed him to enter and kept an eye on him so that he could testify and help them with their case before arresting him. He knew and was told in the past that he couldn't enter with his weapon on, so they just let him. He testified for them, and then they arrested him for a crime he knew he was committing.

What a real winner there let me carry my gun into a courthouse where i cant have it ... brillant

Quote Originally Posted by S.O. Interceptor
    It says that they know him and have dealt with him before. So it would be my guess that they allowed him to enter and kept an eye on him so that he could testify and help them with their case before arresting him. He knew and was told in the past that he couldn't enter with his weapon on, so they just let him. He testified for them, and then they arrested him for a crime he knew he was committing.

Fair point, but couldn't they have directed him to a gun locker when he entered the court house and let him then go to the court room to testify?

Folks that impersonate cops are subject to do anything. They shouldn't have let him into the court room like that on the basis that they already know he is a bit off and on the basis that they knew they would arrest him later for doing something they really did give him tacit approval to do.
    Shooters' Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by CombatEffective
    Fair point, but couldn't they have directed him to a gun locker when he entered the court house and let him then go to the court room to testify?

Folks that impersonate cops are subject to do anything. They shouldn't have let him into the court room like that on the basis that they already know he is a bit off and on the basis that they knew they would arrest him later for doing something they really did give him tacit approval to do.
    I understand what yu're saying. I don't know. There is always the chance that they didn't notice until he was already inside. The story did say that his uniform looked like a Deputy's uniform. Maybe he was already in when they noticed, and chose to wait rather than arrest him while he was on the stand.

I understand what yu're saying. I don't know. There is always the chance that they didn't notice until he was already inside. The story did say that his uniform looked like a Deputy's uniform. Maybe he was already in when they noticed, and chose to wait rather than arrest him while he was on the stand.

That would make sense. It would be better to let him out of a crowded court and confront him at a spot of more appropriate circumstances.
    Shooters' Legacy

Assistant Administrator
    Seems like a very foolish young man, with delusions of grandeur. Had he stopped to really think I am sure he would have easily known all of the consequences.

Pseudo cops we do NOT need!!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    I agree with the guy's comment about it being a good thing he did not go to work for a PD. He would probably be the type that give officers a bad name. What I find interesting, however, is that he had his certification but then chose not to become an officer, becoming a security guard instead. Or maybe he was passed over during the hiring process. Sounds like he might like to "play cop" rather than put his ass on the line and be a cop....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...m23higley.html

"...Outside the courtroom Monday, Muir said his client has no criminal record and graduated from the police academy five years ago...
    Is it possible to attend the police academy without being a recruit? Sounds like he passed recruit training and failed the psych evaluation.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357
    Is it possible to attend the police academy without being a recruit? Sounds like he passed recruit training and failed the psych evaluation.

If a department operates their own academy they generally will not let anyone attend but their own employees. However, in many states the state operates academies through the community college system, and it is very easy for someone to go through the academy without a police job waiting for them when they finish. Some people go through this way so they are not obligated to an agency for a specific amount of time to repay academy sponsorship. Others do so because they couldn't get hired by an agency that would sponsor them.
    Shooters' Legacy

A California officer on another forum told me that if you go through the academy at a college or something, you have your POST certification, and you have 3 years to get hired before it expires. After that, it is gone and you have nothing and have to start over from scratch. I guess he couldn't get anyone to hire him, lost his certification, so he just played cop.

Sponsored Links