Visiting the USA

Visiting the USA

This is a discussion on Visiting the USA within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello everyone, greeting's all the way from ireland, first let me congratulate you all for an excellent website, and to congratulate you the members for ...

Visiting the USA

Hello everyone,

greeting's all the way from ireland, first let me congratulate you all for an excellent website, and to congratulate you the members for your knowledge and willingness to share information.

Now !

My question is this, I am due to to visit the USA in May to attend a Law Enforcement Show, I would like to be able to bring my sidearm with me. Is it possible for me a non US citizen to bring my firearm to the USA, and if so, what do I have to do.
    i have asked this question to many people and they cant give me a straight answer, so i'm hoping that you guy's and gal's can help.

Stay safe
    Surrounded and outnumbered, pass me my vest!

Administrator
    I dont think you can, but I dont know for sure. Do you have a host agency that is helping you guys while you are here? If you do, they should be able to help you out there.

Where is the expo your going to? The one in Cleveland was this summer, I'm going to assume its one on the east coast.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

Where is the expo your going to? The one in Cleveland was this summer, I'm going to assume its one on the east coast.
    It's the OLETC show in Moundville, WV, and they dont know the procedure for us either....

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Years ago you could have brought it , but not carryed it, thusly at the last international convention i attended we paired out of country officers with local guides ( while playing guide i had reason to carry a few seperate firearms , and my wife's purse kinda tuned into a rucksack , it weighed 50 lbs or so ) in an informal fashon . Any more i honestly dont know and would suggest you either contact your local interpol coordinater or the U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security to accertain if it is possible , and if so how .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    I'm going to go with you are not allowed to, however my agency hosts officers from other country's from time to time, and they are allowed to carry. I think they get around that by us carrying a commission for them. They do have to qualify with us etc.
    For your situation though, I just don't know for sure.

PM me if you need more guidance, I'm always happy to help out another LEO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Where in the states is your confrence?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

I would think that would depend on a couple of things, What state you are going to and what the ATF web site may have on the issue, homeland security could get very crazy over a gun in the luggage.

If you are in Michigan you can shoot some of mine at my range, but carrying would be out of the question that I am reasonably sure of, that is unless you have diplomatic status.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Where are you in Ireland and where are you coming to? You'll find that 40% or more of Americans have Irish decendancy on one or both sides of the family.
    I'm in AZ if you are coming here it should be easy to send a gun or juse use one of mine. (My G Mom was a Martindale from someplace or another over there, she was purchased by my Grand Pop in 1892 when he was 30 and she was 15, they had 10 kids and both lived a long time) I'm a decendant of their last born in 1905.
    This is an interesting country, you'll like it.

VIP Member
    I did a quick check at the ATF site. It may apply or may not but it gives you an idea. Email them or give them a call.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#r13
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Start with http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/index.htm , "section R Nonimmigrant Aliens"

On this page http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#r13 you can see this text:

"R13) ATF regulations give the Attorney General or his delegate (the ATF Director) the authority to require nonresidents temporarily bringing firearms and ammunition into the United States for hunting or other lawful sporting purposes to first obtain an approved import permit. Do all such importations now require an ATF-approved permit?

All nonimmigrant aliens (with a few exceptions which are listed below) must obtain an import permit from ATF to temporarily import firearms and ammunition for hunting or other lawful sporting purposes. Please note this requirement applies to all nonimmigrant aliens, not all nonresidents (e.g., it does not apply to U.S. citizens residing abroad). The exceptions to this permit requirement are for certain foreign military personnel, official representatives of foreign governments, distinguished foreign visitors, and foreign law enforcement officers of friendly foreign governments entering the U.S. on official law enforcement business.

[27 CFR 478.115(d) and (e)]"

Lead Moderator
    Just to let folks know I merged two threads with basically the same question. I think the basic answer is is already there anyhow.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

It's the OLETC show in Moundville, WV, in May, but they dont know the procedure for us, right now, I cant even bring in a Gas mask for the Chemical Munitions Course because its listed as a "Defensive item" and requires permission from the ATF.

I have mailed them but they are not in a hurry to reply.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Of course depending on your air carrier you may not be allowed to take them back...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Post Paperwork !

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Of course depending on your air carrier you may not be allowed to take them back...
    Delta airlines all the way............. I spoke with them and they say no problem as long as I go by the TSA guidelines.

I got the TSA to write me directly with their instructions, so covered there.

I have a letter from the Office of Law Enforcement Technology Commercialization regarding my registration and so on.

I have the forms done out for the ATF, for the temporary importation of a firearm by a non-immigrant allien.

And for identification / verification purposes I have copies of my:
    1) Irish carry permit/licence
    2) Prison Service identification card
    3) Drivers permit/licence
    4) Passport

Hopefully this will make life easier for the ATF people that check into all this.
    Then if I get the import permit, I probably need a permit for one of the state's.....

Hey it gives me something to do.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Not sure if West Virginia will recognize Ireland carry permits. You could always email West Virginia State Police.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Links