Going to Balad AB, Iraq - Page 2

Going to Balad AB, Iraq

This is a discussion on Going to Balad AB, Iraq within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Maybe that came out wrong. I'm not discounting him, it's just with him being new I don't exactly know what he'll do. Unfortunately our 1st ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Maybe that came out wrong. I'm not discounting him, it's just with him being new I don't exactly know what he'll do.

Unfortunately our 1st Sgt. is a little on the gruff side (he's one of those real old-timer NCO's) and may be a little much for my wife.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Hey I just checked your name out on A.F. Global Address List, how come you don't show up at all? I was gonna email you my info, cause I'm located close to you.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Was stationed on a FOB just down the road from Balad AB/ LSA Anaconda in 2003-2004. The FOB was known as "Silver Lion" then, but it will have changed since we left. It was the ammo bunker site for Balad. We were tasked with patrolling the local section of the highway.

One of our support platoon guys, who were on Anaconda itself, was killed when a mortar round hit the gym tent. I don't think they get much of that anymore, but I really haven't kept up with it.

Especially since you're Airforce it shouldn't be too bad barring a random event like the gym tent episode. The PX, gym, chow halls, movie theater and Pizza Hut/ Burger King are all on the AF side of the base... or were 3 years ago. The AF runs a shuttle bus system everywhere. The Army required that we wear armor, K-pot and weapon everywhere 24/7. The AF types were in civilian clothes or AF PT gear when off-duty, no armor or K-pot and usually no weapon even on duty.

Doesn't the AF have family support groups? The Army has groups that family members can attend and get info from the rear detachment commander. The families (mostly wives since we were an Armor unit) would have potlucks, tupperware parties or whatever. It sounds like you're going as an individual augmentee or something. One of the bad aspects to the way the AF deploys people is that you often don't go as a unit, but as individuals who make up a unit when they get there... so families are left isolated instead of having a whole bunch of families in similar situation to lean on and commiserate with. My wife stayed with family for my last deployment because I was just getting to Carson and would be leaving to join a unit already deployed, so she didn't know anyone. If I was going now she's probably stay here and work to keep her mind off things, and help out with the FRG.

EDIT: I realize that others will have differing opinions, but if it were ME I'd TRY to get convoy duty or patrols or something. Standing around watching some mook fuel generators or whatever, day in and day out, is boring as heck. We used to have to rotate by platoons thru that duty (one day on perimeter security, one day QRF, one day on FOB detail [various fatigue details including KP and guarding visitors/ TCN's on the FOB], one day maintenance/ personal, one day on patrol.)

At least the highway patrols were interesting. We'd set up spot inspection checkpoints, drive around looking for IEDs before they detonated, poke/ shoot/ kick suspicious objects to see if they were bombs (only the LT actually kicked them), check in on local police stations, check the local gas stations to make sure they weren't selling on the black market or for more than the approved price, respond to IED detonations or attacks on convoys in our AOR, help out on raids... all sorts of stuff.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; October 20th, 2007 at 08:08 AM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

PM sent
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

My roommate is now at Balad, he is a AMMO troop. And a few of my buddies are just coming back that I havent spoken to. My buddies that just got back that are Firefighters said they were very busy, A/C crashes and fires from rocket attacks. I might be going in Jan.

VIP Member
    Good luck out there on the ramparts of freedom, keep your head down, and don't volunteer for anything.

Just a quick update. I'll be leaving at 0320 on Saturday the 19th. Thank you everyone for your concern and I'll see you all in a few months.

By the way, ever wonder what's the "O" in 0320 stand for? Oh my God it's early!
    (Sorry, couldn't resist....)
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Be safe...

PM sent
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

My daughter in law was in Balad last year, at the same time my son was in Afghanistan. You be safe A1C Lickey. A sharp salute to you and thank you for serving.

Good luck. I've had a few friends deploy to Balad and none of them have had any real horror stories to tell afterwards. Take care.

Thank you for your service and best wishes! Things are sure different than when I was in the jungle! I'm in Phoenix, and would be happy to help your wife in whatever she needs. God bless you all!

Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    About three weeks ago I found out that I had been issued a TCN tasking to Balad AB, Iraq. My RNLTD is sometime in the end of January so I've got some time left and I sould spend the holidays here. I'm ecstatic to be able to actually do something other then help train others, however, I do have some questions. .

Finally I'm having trouble dealing with my wife.

Thanks.
    Yes, you and your wife worrying about each other is the hardest part. Sometimes when deployed we forget the impact that it has on our parents and our wives. Remind them how much you appreciate and love them when you return.

Hopefully, she will be among friends and other military wives. That will mean a lot for her.

P.S. Remember, keep your eyes open, don't take unnecessary chances, and "keep your powder dry." You and the others of you will always be on our minds.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    God watch over you.

We pray for your SAFE, speedy return.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Keep your head down and watch your six. We'll be thinking of you and waiting for your return. Thanks for being on the "front".

SSgt Lickey,

Good luck, amigo. Stay safe and keep your head on a swivel. Don't let the REMFs get you down! Drop us a line every now and again to let us know how you're gettin' along.

Cheers,
    Herk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links