Chiefs are with us for the most part

This is a discussion on Chiefs are with us for the most part within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In all fairness though- A policeman is not paid to be a gunfighter. I do not expect every officer to be a Gunsite Guru. There ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chiefs are with us for the most part

In all fairness though- A policeman is not paid to be a gunfighter. I do not expect every officer to be a Gunsite Guru. There is so much to police work that I can't even conceive of doing I will not sit in judgment of any law enforcement professionals. I have no right to and that's not my place.

That said the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of a society that'll spend $50 million so that Tom Cruise will make another bad movie, but to spend $50,000 to put a department through a 4 hour pistol tactics course is unthinkable.

I shoot at the same range as a lot of LEOs. They bring their service pistols and shoot alongside me. We see each other in passing all the time. Most are members of the Glock Brigade. I often think about what an insane society we have where an educator who is not allowed to possess a firearm while at work has comparable skill to many in law enforcement who are required to have a firearm while at work.

I'll say this one thing... when you actually get into shooting and get serious about it, you learn that when it comes to old fashioned marksmanship and methodology anyone willing to can learn. That old sentiment you have to be military or LE to even thing about touching a firearm is like so much else a myth.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

My Memory Must Be Getting Worse

I seem to have this "Visual Image" stuck in my brain of all these hundreds of Chiefs Of Police Standing Up Beside & Supporting Bill Clinton.
    Was that just a dream or a nightmare that I had?

In all respect to my friend Euc, the PD's get to keep drug money, stuff they take, stuff they get during raids etc. The fed grants to update communications systems and we know how effective that was during Columbine. In short they may waste a great deal of money on systems not compatable with others etc. On the people side they are getting paid very well and retirement can run 100% or more of their pay. Our county will be faced with another financial problem because of retirement funds. In CA the CHP spikes their retirement using disability(???), that is being investigated. No, they get one hell of bundle in money every which way but how its spent is another issue.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    45, not everywhere!

In MA, all funds taken in by any municipality MUST go into "general funds" and then becomes part of next year's "pool" of available funds to pay to run the town/city.

Also due to Mass Gen'l Laws, most all of the funds available are used to pay for schools! In our town 70-75% of ALL monies go to the schools and the rest is divvied up amongst ALL the other town bills/departments.

Bottom line, there isn't much incentive here for "collecting money" (confiscations, tickets/fines/fees)! The PD usually won't see any of the increased funds.

I don't know how other states operate, but I know enough about how MA operates to understand why the PD and FD are the ******* children with nothing buy "maintenance" funding in their best years.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    My daprtment doesn't receive revenue from citations it issues much less asset seizures.

Euc has a good point about the cops not needing to be firearms gurus. Let's face teh fact that physical defense skills and physical fitness are probably more important, and I am sorely lacking in both of those areas.

As for communication issues, those are huge in LE and public safety. I can't speak directly to a sheriff's deputy or county police officer on the radio unless I get my dispatch to call their dispatch and request that a particular officer meet me on one of the mutual channels. I'm not sure if the fire department even has the mutual channel on their radios. I guess in the event of a Columbine type situation were we were working jointly we would all go to a mutual channel. That would only work for this county though. If I were to be out of this particular county, which does happen at times, I have no means of radio communucation with other agencies.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Oh yeah, as for retirement, I think we can get 60% at 30 years of service.
    Shooters' Legacy

Individual officers work very hard at what they do to keep up with traffic so to speak. I have been lucky in my lifetime to come across some fine people in law enforcement. I have been on the range with them swapping stories and guns. Amazed to see a couple of plain clothes guys shooting to keep up with things and they were very good. I find most cops are pretty reasonable at shooting and some are just outstanding. Shooting is only a small part of their job but an important one.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by CombatEffective
    ...As for communication issues, those are huge in LE and public safety. I can't speak directly to a sheriff's deputy or county police officer on the radio unless I get my dispatch to call their dispatch and request that a particular officer meet me on one of the mutual channels. I'm not sure if the fire department even has the mutual channel on their radios. I guess in the event of a Columbine type situation were we were working jointly we would all go to a mutual channel. That would only work for this county though. If I were to be out of this particular county, which does happen at times, I have no means of radio communucation with other agencies.
    That's interesting. When I was an EMT, our county's 800MHz system had tac channels that all agencies responding to an incident could share. Each agency had its own tac channels, but we also had a pool of common channels. Made interagency communication much easier for SAR's, extrications, fire stand-bys, and the occasional crime scene.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

We went to the 800mz sysem before the county did, and we they finally upgraded to it we didn't merge the systems. Our department is moving to a new buidling, and we are getting a new communication system in the move including new radios for all of our officers. With the new system, our supervisors will be able to talk to their supervisors, but field level officers will still not have access to anything other than the mutual aid channel. Back in the high band days officers from all of the area agencies could talk to each other.
    Shooters' Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I seem to have this "Visual Image" stuck in my brain of all these hundreds of Chiefs Of Police Standing Up Beside & Supporting Bill Clinton.
    Was that just a dream or a nightmare that I had?
    Don't be confused. I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this thread. I remember how they stood there sucking up to the LEFT. The opinion of the IACP seems to change depending on who is in the oval office.

Watch....If the left dems. re-enter the White House, the IACP will forget all about the Second Amendment, support gun control and the million mommies who stand outside the Capitol and screech. Most command staff level administrators don't even carry, out of uniform, even on the job.

I have been on the job for 20 years and 2 months. I bleed 2nd Amendment. I have seen this opinion shift back and forth through several administrations. Never this drastically though.

Good Post Mike, America needs all the supporters of the Constitution she can get. I don't understand how being in one party or the other should affect supporting the constitution or decision to go to war but it does. We are Americans first and party supporters second. As to the republicans, we in California are changing our view of gun control abortation and other things traditional to republicans. We have the very rich old money that has taken over the party and the very young very rich that also has taken it over. Their common stand is hey we got to consider gun control here in California as thought the democrats are not holding our necks to the ground by yolk hard enough. So we could vote in either party and it really won't matter, they look the same now.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links