Wedding Rings On Duty??

Wedding Rings On Duty??

This is a discussion on Wedding Rings On Duty?? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok to set the scenario here, I am in my last year of college taking all CJ classes for my major. I am in one ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar

Wedding Rings On Duty??

Ok to set the scenario here, I am in my last year of college taking all CJ classes for my major. I am in one particular class and the teacher starts going on a rant about how her husband wont wear his wedding ring on duty for the fact that he doesnt want anyone that shouldnt know he is marry to know. I never thought about this but what do all the LEO here think about wearing or not wearing your ring on duty for fear of someone that shouldnt know finding out that you are married
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Lead Moderator
    Most of em I know wear their wedding rings.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    I dont wear mine at all.

Not because I dont want anyone to know that I am married.

Its because of the "safety" aspect of it. It gets caught on too many things.
    Like car mirrors,handcufffs,keys and every and anything you can imagine.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Nope, I dont wear mine at all on duty for both mentioned reasons.
    "Just blame Sixto"

When I did EMS, a co-worker showed me a picture of a cops' hand. The wedding ring got caught while he was jumping a fence and de-gloved his finger(peeled the skin off). I don't see the benefit of wearing one, unless you're going to forget that your married without it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Moderator
    I've seen 2 degloved hands at work where wedding rings used to be...

One guy was was letting the tailgate of his pickup truck down,the other was working on a rather heavy transformer when it slid off the table and he tried to catch it. Ugly...vey ugly...

the first one was enough to get the point across to me...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Seen a ring (and most of a finger) left on a projection near the jump door of a C-130, and another get caught on a passing tram car. No rings for me when I'm working, or doing anything physical that requires my hands.

Never worried about people knowing my marital status, though...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

For me it's a safty thing......my wife understands
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

In the military there are many, many instances where wearing any kind of jewelry is not allowed. This is for safety reasons and I just stopped wearing any ring what-so-ever because of it.

Your teacher sounds like she herself is projecting her own issues of self and lack of surety about her relationship on to her husband, and is sharing those feelings of emotion with you and her class...which IMHO is not at all a professional way to conduct ones self on their job.

As mentioned above not wearing ones ring does not magically make not unmarried. Unless of course you live life in storybooks and childrens tales of kissed frogs and magic click red shoes.
    I'm not a LEO but I am with Sixto et. al. I was taught in HS woodshop class and HS automech to _never_ wear rings of any sort (or for that matter jewelry period) when working in a physical manner, even if there is no powered machinary in use.
    As well it seems to me that if you are a LEO and wear your ring that is just one more item that can be taken advantage of and played against you.
    Same as it's advisable not to wear earrings on the job or even for that matter long hair that can easily be grabbed by someone if not something.
    Additionally I find that I can get a better optimal hand hold of my sidearm when not wearing a ring which in itself is a matter of safety and security. As a LEO I'd be focused toward maximizing this so as to help insure I make it home at shifts end to hug my neurotic wedding ring worrisome wife.

I think your prof. could do well with some time on a shrinks chair to address her personal issues in regard to rings.

$0.02 Street

- Janq commonly wears his ring on and off
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    I don't wear mine ever since I took a big chunk out of it when I hit it on the grinder at work.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I too take the ring off when I am working with my hands.

As a note almost anyone who works in a Surgical Unit of any healthcare provider has to take off hand jewelry. I have a mother, Monther in Law, Sister in law and 2 grandmothers that are nurses. I have never heard any of their husbands complain that they don't even take the ring to work, for fear of it disappearing, while not on their finger.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Rings at work? I had a student in high school jump up and grab a sign over a doorway...his ring got caught on the sign and 'removed' his finger...
    I can see why a cop wouldn't want to wear a ring while working...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I dont wear mine at all.

Not because I dont want anyone to know that I am married.

Its because of the "safety" aspect of it. It gets caught on too many things.
    Like car mirrors,handcufffs,keys and every and anything you can imagine.
    you can consider your self lucky if it just gets caught and you do not lose the whole finger. The issue is the same for us non LEO's as well.

i can defiantly see it as a safety thing but not a not wanting ppl to know thing.
    my soon to be husband wont be wearing his to work. i know someone who popped off his finger rock climbing b/c of a ring. i know someone who popped off his finger while falling off his later b/c of a ring. if your doing any kind of manual work, its just not a good idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links