Considering joining the military

This is a discussion on Considering joining the military within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I really want to join the Navy (family legacey). I'm a 3rd year at ASU finishing up my BA in intergrative studies (critical thinking). Half ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Considering joining the military

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

Considering joining the military

I really want to join the Navy (family legacey). I'm a 3rd year at ASU finishing up my BA in intergrative studies (critical thinking). Half of me wants to drop everything i am doing and just go, while the other half wants to finish school which the folks and I are paying for just fine. I have a comfortable life, a crazy girlfriend and no responsibilites, but i'm just not satisfied with my situation, or with anything for that matter. Anyone been in a similar situation? or have adivce? most appreciative!
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

FINISH SCHOOL !!, With all due respect if you can't finish something you started the military is not the answer. You are too close to quit, suck it up- finish school and then contemplate your direction, you will have many more options available.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
    if you can't finish something you started the military is not the answer.
    defenitly true. somtimes things just make more sense when someone else says them for you. thanks friend.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I'll second the motion. In a world full of people that have little self discipline grab your kiester in both hands and push on through! Enjoy this time of little responsibilities, once it's gone it won't be coming back. After you finish this job then a shot at the military might be a very good thing but remember that people who finish what they start in this world, especially when it's tough, are getting rarer. Please don't be one of them!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Finish school, officers are all college graduates. Whatever you want to do, what job, duty location/assignment, etc. you want in the Navy GET IT IN WRITING from your recruiter.
    Stay safe.

Lead Moderator
    I'll add the same comment, finish school! The Navy will still be there when you are done!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

As quick as I am to encourage somone to enlist, you can do a lot for your family legacy by being a famous admiral. Not nearly as many famous enlisted men.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Active Duty Sailor here.......listen up.

There are MY thoughts and feelings.....only YOU can make up your own mind.

I left college....money and motivation are my 'excuses'......and joined the Submarine service. Thought I'd "do my time", take my GI bill and finish college later. That was 15 years ago. Time, age, priorities change things....at least for me anyway.

I've had a good career......been places, done things. I went in with my head up and feet planted......no misguided recruiter information or any false notions. I don't regret my decision....it was best for me at the time.

Now for my opinion........stay in school and finish up. It IS worth it! If you feel the same after graduation then by all means DO it! Your options for the Navy (or any service) will increace ten-fold! Just get that diploma! That piece of paper will mean more to your life during AND definatly after any military service.
    Trust me WRT my last statment....I've seen it, I've experienced it.

Hope it helps. PM me if you have any specific questions. I give ya stright up info on ANYTHING reguarding Navy in general, reguardless of youe decision.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Sponsor
    Finish school! NOW! A good friend of mine went back for a proffessional degree at the age of 34, he would have been alot further ahead in that regard had he done it when he was 20-something.

Then when you have finished school, JOIN THE NAVY (or any other branch you choose), do at least one hitch and theh see what you want to do, you will be ALOT more grown up and have your head screwed on mostly straight by then.

IMHO we need 2 yr compulsory military (or civilian Peace Corp type stuff) service for every able bodied man and not to be sexist, every able bodied gal too!

OK lecture is now over, thanks 'fer listenin'
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

I would have to agree with the others finish school. I hated school but it opened some great doors. That piece of paper got me in the door to my current job with the Forest Service (been there 10 yrs). It is especially important for any Govt service, degrees are highly valued in the federal govt, and required for the good paying jobs (gs-9 and up). College can be hard at times but just push through and it will be well worth it.

-- Kirk.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Finish school, then join. Finish school, then join. Finish school, then join. I hate to repeat myself, but, finish school, then join.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Military life makes it hard to continue education ( these days even on the reserve side).

A degree will give you more options in a military career. On the enlisted side it make promotions quicker, and on the officer side it makes appointment easier. In the Army at least a degree is not required for commission, but it cuts out a bit of the headache in the application.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

And the solution to the crazy girlfriend problem is only a phone call away. Call her and tell her you're moving on.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

There is NO SUBSTITUTE for an education or a DEGREE. You will DEEPLY REGRET not finishing your education now. PLEASE complete your degree then you can do anything you wish with it!

VIP Member
    I was politely asked not to return to school after my freshman year (), and enlisted - which had been my plan after high school anyway, but I was pressured into college.

After 4+ years AD, I went into the reserve component, and back to school. It was a whole different experience with a wife, child, full time job, and part time reserve commitment on top of a full course load, I can tell you... After all was said and done, I was back in uniform with bars where my stripes had been, but it was not an easy row to hoe.

The good news is that it CAN be done - you can go back to school and finish, no matter the situation, if you really want it. The other good news is that the military will basically pay for it, especially if you use a State (National Guard) tuition assistance program along with the GI Bill and Army (or whatever service) College Fund. The further, further good news is that college itself will not seem nearly as difficult once you've been out in the "real" world for a while - I often found myself looking forward to class as a break from my other responsibilities!

The bad news is that it's HARD. It is hard to motivate yourself, when you know you could just get a job that pays the bills, and go on with your life. But if you want it, and are willing to put in the effort, that piece of paper will open a lot of doors that will stay shut forever without it.

Side note - it is true that you don't need a degree to be commissioned in the Army (don't know about the Navy), but you need 90 credit hours, and you need your degree to make Captain (0-3). It is MUCH easier to have it before you go in than to try to go to school while wearing Lieutenant's bars, believe me...

Good luck in whatever you do.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links