Peace Officer question

This is a discussion on Peace Officer question within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Colorado Department of corrections is hiring community parole officer trainees. POST academy to be completed, at the trainees expense, after hire. According to the ...

Thread: Peace Officer question

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar

Peace Officer question

The Colorado Department of corrections is hiring community parole officer trainees. POST academy to be completed, at the trainees expense, after hire.

According to the job description these officers serve as a "Level 1a Peace Officer". For the life of me I can't find a definition of what that means.

Are they peace officers 24/7 or only peace officers while on-duty like most corrections officers?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I have no idea how Colorado works their stuff, but I would imagine that they are sworn LEO's if they complete POST certification. Otherwise, there is no need for the POST completion.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Yeah, that's what I figured but was curious to find out for sure.

My Google-fu is strong, but this question kicked my butt.

Couldn't even find a reference in the Colorado Revised Statutes or the Colorado POST Commission website.

On another forum somebody told me that Colorado USED to have different peace officers designations, Level 1 thru Level 3a, but now there is only one... either you ARE a peace officer or you aren't... so either they now designate everyone as a Level 1a, or it's an archaic job description pasted in.

According to this guy agency policy can determine your duties and scope of "off duty" authority, but the basics of being a LEO 24/7, carrying a gun, power of arrest, etc are the same for everyone.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Senior Moderator
    According to this guy agency policy can determine your duties and scope of "off duty" authority, but the basics of being a LEO 24/7, carrying a gun, power of arrest, etc are the same for everyone.
    Thats probably correct. Just about any agency can use its own policy to decide just how far they are willing to let you go. Even the federal law called LEOSA leaves it up to the individual agency to determine if you can carry a gun across state lines.

Technically your powers can be the same, but your particualr aganecy may or may not let you arrest 24-7 or carry a gun 24-7 . They can and often do limit your "powers" by policy.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    <SNIP>
    Even the federal law called LEOSA leaves it up to the individual agency to determine if you can carry a gun across state lines.
    <SNIP>
    Not to be argumentative, but if you are covered by LEOSA 2004, you are covered in all states. There may be department policies regarding department supplied equipment or off-duty conduct, but as far as the federal law goes, if you are covered, you are good for carry of a personally owned weapon in any and all jurisdictions. Except for a few specifically listed exceptions, it completely preempts state laws regarding concealed carry.

Nick

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.ago.state.co.us/post/CC49...edJUNE2007.pdf
    Last edited by Arkie; October 28th, 2007 at 06:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Senior Moderator
    Except for a few specifically listed exceptions, it completely preempts state laws regarding concealed carry.
    After going back and checking various sources it appears that you are right. At one time that particular thing was the subject of much fact and debate and lots of heated arguments. Since then, it appears that some of the debate has been laid to rest, and thats a good thing. Most state AG's have agreed that a local Sheriff or Police Chief cannot limit their agency or anyone it it so that if they are "quailifed "they can in fact carry their gun wherever...as it should be.

I'll bet that ticked off some of the rabid antigunners...

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links