Duty weapon for personal carry?

This is a discussion on Duty weapon for personal carry? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just curious, how many LEO use their duty weapon as their personal carry weapon when off duty, and if so, do you unload issued ammo, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just curious, how many LEO use their duty weapon as their personal carry weapon when off duty, and if so, do you unload issued ammo, and reload with personal ammo?

FWIW, I carry my Glock 21 nearly everywhere I go. Our SOP doesn't address the issue, so it's pretty open to personal preference.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you are not active or retired LEO then please do not comment in this thread.
    Your comment will be deleted as being Off Topic to the questions posed by the OP of this thread.
    Thanks QKShooter

Administrator
    I do sometimes... but why would anyone unload issued ammo and reload with personal ammo?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I asked the same thing. The reply was "don't wanna do the paper work for the issued ammo if I am shooting a d@## dog".

Still, seems like a bit of overkill to me.

A lot of our guys use their duty backup weapon as their off-duty carry. Primarily because of size, and concealability (why is that not in spell-check?). I do the same when in a "dress" situation. My Kahr K40 fits nicely on my ankle.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector_Gadget View Post
    I asked the same thing. The reply was "don't wanna do the paper work for the issued ammo if I am shooting a d@## dog".

Still, seems like a bit of overkill to me.

A lot of our guys use their duty backup weapon as their off-duty carry. Primarily because of size, and concealability (why is that not in spell-check?). I do the same when in a "dress" situation. My Kahr K40 fits nicely on my ankle.
    I got news for them, if they shoot their gun no matter the target, they are doing paperwork. They are also assuming greater liability that they dont have to take by using their own ammo.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The "idea", as it was explained to me, is that liability is lessened when acting as an individual behind a carry license, rather than acting as an off duty officer behind a badge. I could see valid arguments both ways. Plus, seems to me regardless of how you "act", the jury is going to see a the officer, so perhaps it's all mute.

Excluding range practice, I personally have not discharged my weapon on OR off duty (yet), and hope it stays that way. Sometimes it's nice to live in a smaller town.

Administrator
    Yeah, it can be argued both ways. I look at it as the courts have; no matter what you are carrying your pistol under, an officer is an officer. I also would not want to give up certain legal benefits I have by backing myself into a legal corner and claiming to hve acted as a regular Joe rather than an officer.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I carry my issue weapon (and issue ammo) all the time here, basically by necessity (non-issue weapons/ammo are generally verboten by policy). In the States, I carry it when feasible, and something smaller when it isn't.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector_Gadget View Post
    The "idea", as it was explained to me, is that liability is lessened when acting as an individual behind a carry license, rather than acting as an off duty officer behind a badge.
    You've got some people playing mind games with themselves who have way too much time on their hands. And on top of that they aren't thinking very clearly either.
    Ask them this if they're so concerned about off duty use of duty ammo so as to "lessen the liability". If they're carrying their duty weapon and non-issued duty ammo when they stumble onto an armed robbery. Things go bad and they have to shoot. During their shoot they hit an innocent. Now, do they want to assume the liability all themselves or would they rather have their dept picking up the tab for attorney and whatever payout is made to the victim? How many LEOs in your dept are independently wealthy and have a few extra million $$$ laying around they don't mind giving to attorneys and victims?
    You got some people who need to talk to their dept attorney and get their head straight.

My old department had a list of authorized weapons the officers could carry either on or off duty. When we transitioned from 9mm to .40 they added a list of authorized ammo (one round in each caliber). Officers had to qualify with anything they carried, on or off duty. If an officer was involved in a shooting using anything other than an authorized weapon/ammo they would be violation of department policy. If it was a good shoot a county attorney would represent you. If it was a questionable shoot they could just tell you you were on your own.
    Last edited by mcp1810; October 30th, 2007 at 10:51 PM.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    I carrry my duty SIG (and ammo) off-duty; in my case I'm mandated to do so by agency policy.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I can carry any Glock or Sig off-duty. However, I find myself mostly carrying my issued Sig off-duty. This is because if I shoot someone there goes my gun for 1-3 years while the whole thing goes through inquests, civil trials, etc. If it's my duty weapon I'll get a new one right away. My own gun? I guess I'm outta luck.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

The "idea", as it was explained to me, is that liability is lessened when acting as an individual behind a carry license, rather than acting as an off duty officer behind a badge. I could see valid arguments both ways. Plus, seems to me regardless of how you "act", the jury is going to see a the officer, so perhaps it's all mute.
    Wow, that's really out there. We had forms that were to be filled out whenever a firearm was drawn. While a duty weapon could be carried off duty, the 4006 or 5906 was way too bulky. Recently we have approved the Glock 23 which is small and light enough to carry on and off duty. Only the approved W-W ammo is approved for carry. However a 380 or 38 Spec. can also be used as a od/bug. In that case the ammo used for qualification MUST be used for carry without exception. That is the state's AG ruling, not the town.
    Richard Scalzo, Capt.
    Secaucus PD
    Secaucus, NJ
    Retired !!!!

New Member Array CW2 Ralph Long's Avatar

Never forget the KISS Principle

Based on 33 years of Police and Military Handgun use, I would recommend to anyone carrying a firearm for self-defense that they carry only one gun for both duty and off-duty. If that is not possible, then opt for a smaller version of the same weapon; i.e. Glock 22 for duty with a 19, 23, 26 or 27 for off-duty. If you carry your weapon in a strong-side holster for duty wear, you should carry the firearm in the same place when off duty.

The core issue surrounds the effects of adrenaline on the hands and mind when faced with life & death encounters. You have a tendency to do what you practiced and "perfect practice makes perfect"; practice just forms a habit, sometimes really bad ones. When faced with a deadly force encounter, you will have to perform flawlessly. Adrenaline will force you to do what you've rehearsed, mentally and physically. After the typical adrenaline dump that you get with an "oh crap!" moment, the mind loses its ability to make conscious decisions about where to reach for, draw, grip, squeeze the trigger and reload you weapon. If there is a safety on your duty gun and not on your off-duty, you're risking a deadly delay in getting your firearm into action and keeping it loaded. Keep the routine simple and constant and practice with the gun. Mental rehearsal is great, too. Sometimes just close your eyes and go over what you'd do if someone put you in a life or death situation where you're standing or sitting.

You will instinctively do what you practiced. If you keep changing guns and carry options you're likely going find it impossible to "change gears" to a firearm you've no practiced getting into action several hundred times.

Hope this helps.

I heard of an instance that illustrates CW2s opinion. It has been a while since I heard this story so bear with me. There was an LEO who was also an avid IDPA/IPSC shooter. He used a different rig for competition than he did for duty. And, as you can imagine, he shot quite a lot more in competition than he did on duty. One day, while on duty, he got in a situation where he had to draw his weapon to defend himself. I believe it was from an attacking dog. Unfortunately, he was so used to drawing his competition gun from his competition rig that his hand went to the wrong place. All he grabbed was a piece of his belt. By the time he got to his weapon the dog had already started chomping.

Why wouldn't you?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links