Border Patrol

This is a discussion on Border Patrol within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My roommate is looking into joining the Border Patrol. I actually am as well once I graduate. Our degree programs lend themselves to agencies like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Border Patrol

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Border Patrol

My roommate is looking into joining the Border Patrol. I actually am as well once I graduate. Our degree programs lend themselves to agencies like them and other DHS-type organizations. I was curious if we had any members here who had worked for them i nthe past or currently? Or maybe someone you know does?

Obviously we'd be working the southern border, but I was looking for some general pro's and con's with them. I can conjecture about it as well as the next guy but I was wondering if anyone here knows beyond that.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

I'm former BP, currently with ICE. Check out www.honorfirst.com for more info from current BP agents and those in the hiring process.

Learn Spanish, you will not be hired if you don't.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

They will teach you spanish in the academy - I used to do a lot of work for DHS as a consultant assisting with the design of trng programs for BP and CBP.

Keep in mind that BP loses more agents than any other fed agency (last I heard). If you want action - not a bad gig. I would go CBP. You have a lot of options in terms of moving around and doing different jobs. Just my .02...

Administrator
    I'm not one, never been one, but have worked with them on a few different things. You have to love the job to be good at it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Here is the online application page for the Border Patrol.

https://www.borderpatrolagentsapply....plication.aspx

I am about 24 years too old. Win some, Lose some.
    Life is too short to be serious!

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    My roommate is looking into joining the Border Patrol. I actually am as well once I graduate. Our degree programs lend themselves to agencies like them and other DHS-type organizations. I was curious if we had any members here who had worked for them i nthe past or currently? Or maybe someone you know does?

Obviously we'd be working the southern border, but I was looking for some general pro's and con's with them. I can conjecture about it as well as the next guy but I was wondering if anyone here knows beyond that.
    I'm retired USBP.

Cons:
    1. You'll be subject to numerous administrative rules which will limit the exercise of your statutory authority.
    2. Not all states in which you would serve will recognize you as a "peace officer". (Arizona does, but Texas doesn't)
    3. Promotion beyond journeyman grade will be slow unless you lateral-out to Immigration Inspector duty to pick up a grade increase and then lateral back in to the BP.

Pro:
    1. The training (in the Academy and also post Academy) you'll receive will be literally the best.
    2. The job is great fun if you want to learn how to hunt and track people.
    3. If you live to the age of 57, you can retire with some fairly decent benefits.
    4. You'll discover which other federal agencies know what they're doing and which are basically inept.
    5. You will learn how to depend almost exclusively upon yourself in physically stressful situations (because your nearest help will probably be too far away to render any immediate aid)

The Border Patrol isn't for everybody. Some of the work is very boring, but it's usually punctuated by high-stress situations.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

Quote Originally Posted by mattd View Post
    Keep in mind that BP loses more agents than any other fed agency (last I heard). If you want action - not a bad gig. I would go CBP. You have a lot of options in terms of moving around and doing different jobs. Just my .02...
    I had heard this also. I've heard that some of the other agencies will occasionally and aggressively recruit out of the USBP which may be one big contributing factor. However I really don't know for a fact - that's just scuttlebutt I've caught. Besides, I've more or less come to the conclusion that being stuck behind a desk for the next 30 years of my life sounds like being stuck in prison - I'm really not looking to transfer out. I'm not an adrenaline junkie, but the more exciting things in life tend to be up my alley. Tedium doesn't bug me as long as it's not perminant. haha

Nuparadigm:

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. If you'd rather answer me in PM's, that's fine. Otherwise I'll ask some more questions here in case someone else is interested...

You say that some states won't recognize you as a Peace Officer - what kinds of problems does that create in the course of duties? Do states, like Texas for example, strip your powers of arrest? I was under the impression that Federal sanction gives your powers of arrest superceeding authority. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree on that one?

I've done a some reading about the academy and yeah, I know they do teach Spanish there. My question is this: Should I bother taking Spanish (proper) at a traditional school? Will it even be of any use if you deal more with 'spanglish' or 'Tex-Mex'? I know obviously they're similar, but I've also heard the two type of Spanish are quite different..

I already know how to drive aggressively (I do semi-pro racing locally), but don't have much experience with off-road. Should I bother getting in as much as I can before I apply so I can use it as relevent experience? The same applies for professional firearms instruction - I've done Gunsite's 250 Pistol course. Would doing anything along those lines improve my chances of getting hired?

Thanks
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

PM's sent.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

My nephew has been Border Patrol for several years now. He is now serving in Afganistan, but when he returns...he is not going back to the southern border. He loves working down there and finds the work interesting and challanging, BUT feels his safety is better served on the Northern border. Between the drug cartels and our own government throwing agents into prision...it is not the place for him. We are very happy about that as we have encouraged him to "go North". I have the upmost respect for those who work on the southern border, but I have only one nephew. My best and prayers to those who try to guard the southern border.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Yeah I agree to an extent. Those two Agents got shafted. Hard. If he can get the transfer, more power to him. But from what I understand, everyone starts down south.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

..... But from what I understand, everyone starts down south.
    All Academy graduates start on the Southern border. They have no choice of where they are first assigned.

If a person is hired, the drill is this: The Trainee first reports to his assigned Sector and Station before going to the Academy. What happens there is that initial processing is accomplished and, a couple of weeks later, the Trainee goes off to the Academy. Because of the fact that he/she is going from his duty station to another place, the Trainee is paid a per diem for the time at the Academy. This stops when and if the Trainee graduates from the Academy and returns to the Sector Headquarters.

The new hire has absolutely no control of where on the Southern border his/her first duty assignment will be. It could be anywhere on the border in California, Arizona, New Mexico or Texas. For "city boys" this can sometimes be difficult (going from being a civilian and living in New York City to being a Trainee and living in Sierra Blanca, TX or in Tacna, AZ can be a genuine character-building endeavor).

VIP Member
    There were two former BP agents in my BSAC class - both had come to us because they were tired of living in places like Blythe, CA, and for working twice as hard for less pay then other Feds with "Special Agent" credentials.

From what I understand, the BP is a great "foot in the door" to other FLEO jobs - if you really like the BP, then you're set; if you don't, a few years experience there will look great on your resume.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Should be a decent job with good job security.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Yeah I agree to an extent. Those two Agents got shafted. Hard. If he can get the transfer, more power to him. But from what I understand, everyone starts down south.
    Did you miss the part that he has been there on the Southern border for many years? In Az. Nogalus(sp).
    He already HAS the transfer....he doesn't have to wait for it. He is going to N.D. when he comes back.

He loved working down there. It is rough and tumble work, but he loved it. His wife and he (for that matter all of the family) were concerned for his safety given the drug cartels and our own government's lack of backing for BP. I don't want to see him in a coffin OR behind bars for doing his job.
    I think several years on the Southern Border and two tours in Afganistan earns him the right to go north.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links