S. FL announces that criminals are stealing lots of cops' guns!

This is a discussion on S. FL announces that criminals are stealing lots of cops' guns! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is from an article in the Sun-Sentinel Criminals are going after cops for their guns. In the past year, gang members, thieves and ...

Thread: S. FL announces that criminals are stealing lots of cops' guns!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

This is from an article in the Sun-Sentinel

Criminals are going after cops for their guns.

In the past year, gang members, thieves and drug dealers in Palm Beach County have broken into at least six police cars and stolen handguns and shotguns, officials say.

"This shows how brazen they are," Sheriff Ric Bradshaw said.

Realizing they, too, can be victims, the Sheriff's Office and other agencies are fighting back by adding burglar alarms to marked and unmarked cruisers, installing extra gun locks in cars and enforcing rules that bar off-duty storage of handguns, shotguns and assault rifles in cars.
    Click the link for the full story.

Sickening. And further proof that even if we capitulated to the idiot anti-gunners who say that "only the police should have guns," we'd STILL have an armed criminal element.

What's to stop criminals from making hoax calls to 911, having police dispatched to a location only to be ambushed, slaughtered, and have all of their equipment stolen for the gang to use?? Frankly, I'm surprised it's not happening en masse already.

VIP Member
    Working with Miami Dade PD, I know their policy is to remove weapons and other officer survival items from their cruisers when they take their cars home and (I believe) when off-duty. Failure to do so and their stuff gets stolen....some unpaid "vacation" time.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Administrator
    Its nothing new... happens all over the country.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but it's just another reason why some of our Open Carry fans might reconsider & conceal. If the felons will steal from LEOs, then they'll had NO issues rolling an unprepared civilian for their firearm.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its nothing new... happens all over the country.
    Oh, believe me, I know it's nothing new. I just wonder if it's perhaps a growing trend.

See, the Sun-Sentinel is (editorially) VERY anti-gun. A few months ago, they did their pathetic, biased version of "investigative journalism" and came up with a series of articles (yes, a series!) critical of the concealed carry law in Florida. Tried to imply that there's oodles of badguys getting permits.

Turned out, the gripe they had was that a lot of people who had been charged with serious crimes, and given "withheld adjudication," were given licenses to carry.

Now, my preference is that people inclined to commit crimes should not get licenses to carry guns. But I also recognize that the system should not be set up to be subjective: if you are not a felon, you get a CCW license, it's that simple. So if the Sun-Sentinel has a problem with people who are not convicted of the crimes with which they are charged, or with those whose adjudication was withheld, they should take that up with the COURT system, not the licensing authority of the state of Florida. In other words, they should be angry with the court for giving the violent or dangerous criminal withheld adjudication, not the state for giving (what amounts to) a non-felon a CCW license.

So I think it is telling that the Sun-Sentinel, cheerleader for the "call 911, don't use a gun yourself" mentality, is out there publicizing that the criminals are taking cops' guns. It's like an admission that gun control can't possibly work; if they're going to supply themselves with guns stolen from those people who are the "only people who should have guns," then they will always get them!

There was a case that wasn't mentioned in the article, where I think it was the police chief of Pahokee, FL (HIV capital of the state--or is it the country?) parked his car at the Walmart in Belle Glade (also a dump) and it was stolen or broken into and his guns were stolen. I think they were later recovered, but not sure if they got all of them.

So, how long before people realize that even the "only the cops and the military should have guns" plan will also be an abject gun-control failure?

WE NEED GUNS OF OUR OWN TO PROTECT AGAINST THE CRIMINALS WHO WILL ALWAYS HAVE THEIR OWN GUNS. It's really that simple.

Administrator
    Yeah, I do think its a growing trend in certain areas. As weapons get harder and harder to get, they become more and more valuable to the criminal.

I forget who said it, but I'm reminded of a good qoute; when asked why he robbed banks, the bank robber replied "'cause thats where the money is"
    "Just blame Sixto"

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Oh, believe me, I know it's nothing new. I just wonder if it's perhaps a growing trend.
    Surely you've seen the rash of cop-killings in the last couple years. I think we can agree definitively that it is a part of the growing trend of violence against cops in general, not just theft of equipment.

-B

Last year, a sheriff's deputy had his MP5 subgun taken from his car while he was at the ballpark watching a Tigers game. Turned out he had left it in plain view on the back seat......
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Links