I'm thinking about becoming a LEO...

This is a discussion on I'm thinking about becoming a LEO... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been thinking about this for a while, and now that I've found this forum, with the great wealth of knowledge & well-formed opinions I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've been thinking about this for a while, and now that I've found this forum, with the great wealth of knowledge & well-formed opinions I've seen on display here over the past month that I've been a member, I thought I'd ask a few questions.

First off, the big one - I'm about to turn 35. Is there typically an age cut-off for new applicants? I'm in pretty decent shape, and can very quickly get into very good shape, so that is not really an issue, but if I'm too old to apply anyway, I'd prefer to know before I go out and and start training like Rocky

Second, I've been "unemployed" for about 3 years. This has been by choice, as my wife makes more than enough for us to get by. (I mean, come on - how many of us would go to work every day if we didn't have to, right?) I've very much enjoyed my time off, but I'm finally getting bored. Like I said, I've been thinking about LEO for a while, so this is not just some spur-of-the-moment whim because I'm "bored". If I'm not automatically disqualified for some reason, I'm serious about pursuing a career in LEO. Having said that, I know that lengthy periods of unemployment can sometimes be seen as a sign of irresponsibility, so if any of you happen to have any insight into this area, I'd love to hear about it.

Third - and this may be the big one if age isn't - I do have a bankruptcy on my credit report. I know there is a credit check done by most (all?) departments and this will show up front & center. It was mainly due to some medical bills I had to deal with due to an injury I had during a brief period in which I was uninsured. (Let that be a lesson to all of you who might still need it - bad, unforeseen things can & will happen to good people at exactly the wrong time, no matter how "careful" you are, so don't go thinking its ok to be without insurance for "just a couple of months" like I did! Murphy is extremely unforgiving...) Anyway, will a bankruptcy automatically disqualify me?

And finally (for now) - if for some reason I end up coming to the conclusion that a career in Law Enforcement was not the right choice, how long to I have to be active to be able to retire with the ability to carry concealed? While this is not at the top of my list of reasons to become a LEO, I've got to say it is an appealing one...

I look forward to any advice any of you might have for me - thanks in advance for your time

Here you go, here is the online application page for the Border Patrol.

https://www.borderpatrolagentsapply....plication.aspx

If your Bankruptcy is over 10 years old, it probably won't show up.
    cutoff for BP is 40, so you have some leeway there.
    Life is too short to be serious!

Quote Originally Posted by MSGTTBAR View Post
    Here you go, here is the online application page for the Border Patrol.

https://www.borderpatrolagentsapply....plication.aspx

If your Bankruptcy is over 10 years old, it probably won't show up.
    cutoff for BP is 40, so you have some leeway there.
    Believe me, having gone through the bankruptcy process, I am acutely aware how long it will be on my credit report

Thanks for the link to the Border Patrol. That is something I would definitely be interested in, but I don't live anywhere near the border, and can't (read - don't really want to) move away from my wife. Do you know if there are Border Patrol jobs that are away from 'the border'? I would apply for those in a heartbeat.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

VIP Member
    Any federal job will likely require a relocation...and the cut off for all 1811 ("special agent") positions in 37.

For a local PD, the bankruptcy shouldn't be a problem, as long as you're current on all your payments. The unemployment will likely be investigated, but - as long as you can show how you supported yourself - shouldn't be a major obstacle. Good luck!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

The ARMY is taking people up to 40yrs old. I am not sure I would want to be a 35yr old E-1, though. Good luck, I too am interested in law enforcement when I retire from the Military.

I had a briefing about the border patrol about a year ago so this may be outdated, but from what I understood your first assignment would be on the southern border, but after that you could get up to the northern border if you wanted. I'm assuming (and you know how dangerous that is) that there are positions available outside of the border realm since the briefing was done by a border patrol agent in South Dakota, so maybe they have recruiters positions?
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Since getting that first response from MSGTTBAR, I did some looking of my own into the Border Patrol. It looks like you are right, Wiggy, the first posting is to the southern border. I don't have any plans on being separated from my family, so I'll likely be focusing on local law enforcement opportunities... Thanks for the info on the BP though. If I were 10 years younger, I'd be thinkin' real hard about that right now
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

I think the cutoff for most is about 40. I know the Background investigator I had in for the Washington State patrol when I applied started when he was 35. You just need to be in shape. Most PDs require you to be able to do a mile and a half run in about 13 and a half minutes, between 21 and 35 pushups (35 preferred) and at least 30 situps in a minute. Also usually a 300 meter dash in about 55-60 seconds. I have been trying for about two years which is about what most LEOs told me it takes to get excepted. Not sure where you are looking for but check your local sheriffs office webpage and usually it will tell you what requirements they have. You can also look into reserves (not all have a reserve department) which is volunteer but it will give you a good foot in the door and pretty much put you in line for full time if you are good at it.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    As a former LE I have to say that it is not a career choice that i would recommend for many . It is both the most rewarding , and the most frustrating job you are ever likely to undertake . expect to work some unpaid hours ,expect some heartaiche that you can't fix . Deal with low pay , high stress , and frustration on less money than your average waitress will make for about 15 years and you can carry under the LE bill for the rest of your life should you so choose . I did and i dont I belive active LE with mandated carry policys may , not are , but may be a special class for ccw .. I am not , nor is anyother old cop . If possible try a reserve position first , and see if it might be for you . Being active paid LE only looks good from the outside . Once you are there the small advantages do not offset the cost it requires from you .

I am glad i did it , and wish i had not at the same time . I feel i served my community , but hate what i have seen in doing so .

It did leave me changed , and i fear not for the better .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    As another former LEO, let me add a few things. Many sheriff's departments don't have age limits for new hires, in Texas anyway. The bankruptcy could be a small problem but, since you handled it in a legal manner, it probably be won't. I faced the same situation while I was a LEO, and the county attorney told me the only problem I would have, was if I didn't file bankruptcy and go thru the legal system, to solve my problems. It is a very different career than it seems from the outside and it will change you.

Can you deal with the politics associated with being a LEO? The press, the cop bashing, that is so popular today? Can your wife handle the stress? Many LEO marriages can't. Do you have kids? Can you stand not to be around for holidays, school functions, etc... How will your kids deal with you being a LEO, as they get older? Middle and High school can be rough on LEO's kids. Many LEO's don't live in the jurisdiction they work in for that reason. Can you stand to lose almost all your friends? You'd be surprised how differently people will treat you once you area LEO. Your friends will quickly dwindle and your only friends will quickly become other LEO's.

It can be the most rewarding career you'll ever undertake, but it doesn't come with out some big sacrifices?

I wish you the best, whatever you decide.
    PM me if you have any other questions.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    My biggest caveat would be this:

There is a HUGE difference between SUSPECTING the worst about people in general, and KNOWING the worst about a great many REAL people.

Are you prepared to go to just about any public place, look at the faces you see, and KNOW that this one belongs to a child molester, that to a meth addict, that one over there to a wife beater.......on a daily basis?

It wears on you, every bit as much as the faces of the dead do.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    I've been thinking about this for a while, and now that I've found this forum, with the great wealth of knowledge & well-formed opinions I've seen on display here over the past month that I've been a member, I thought I'd ask a few questions.

First off, the big one - I'm about to turn 35. Is there typically an age cut-off for new applicants? I'm in pretty decent shape, and can very quickly get into very good shape, so that is not really an issue, but if I'm too old to apply anyway, I'd prefer to know before I go out and and start training like Rocky

Dont let this discourage you. A lot of better departments wont hire young guys, and they look for people who have been around the block before. Market yourself correctly.

Second, I've been "unemployed" for about 3 years. This has been by choice, as my wife makes more than enough for us to get by. (I mean, come on - how many of us would go to work every day if we didn't have to, right?) I've very much enjoyed my time off, but I'm finally getting bored. Like I said, I've been thinking about LEO for a while, so this is not just some spur-of-the-moment whim because I'm "bored". If I'm not automatically disqualified for some reason, I'm serious about pursuing a career in LEO. Having said that, I know that lengthy periods of unemployment can sometimes be seen as a sign of irresponsibility, so if any of you happen to have any insight into this area, I'd love to hear about it.

Again, its not a big deal. You just need to show them you are not fickle or flaky, and you are not going to get bored and quit to sit at home for a few years again. If they hire you, they are going to be dropping a lot of change on you-prove to them you are in it for the long haul.

Third - and this may be the big one if age isn't - I do have a bankruptcy on my credit report. I know there is a credit check done by most (all?) departments and this will show up front & center. It was mainly due to some medical bills I had to deal with due to an injury I had during a brief period in which I was uninsured. (Let that be a lesson to all of you who might still need it - bad, unforeseen things can & will happen to good people at exactly the wrong time, no matter how "careful" you are, so don't go thinking its ok to be without insurance for "just a couple of months" like I did! Murphy is extremely unforgiving...) Anyway, will a bankruptcy automatically disqualify me?

No, it wont auto D/Q you. You will be asked about it though. Tell the truth. We look into finacials to see if you have a gambling or drug problem, and to look for patterns of not taking care of business.

And finally (for now) - if for some reason I end up coming to the conclusion that a career in Law Enforcement was not the right choice, how long to I have to be active to be able to retire with the ability to carry concealed? While this is not at the top of my list of reasons to become a LEO, I've got to say it is an appealing one...

This depends on your contract. The standard is 15 yrs, but it does depend on a few things.

I look forward to any advice any of you might have for me - thanks in advance for your time

Some more thoughts on pay issues etc. Yes, a lot of agencies pay is garbage, but if you're smart, you will shop around. I hear people say all the time that LEO's pay is low... I'm pretty happy with mine. I will break the 6 figure mark this year, plus I have about a month and a half vacation, a company car and a lot of other perks. Granted, I bust my butt and spend a lot of long nights chasing BG's, but it beats sitting in a cubicle for 12 hrs a day.
    Yes, there are a lot of bad days for the LEO, but there are also a lot of good days. The stress can be overwhelming, but only if you let it be. A lot of times its a thankless job, but a lot when someone truly understands and appreciates something you've done, it makes it worth while.

Do I recommend people becoming an LEO? Yes, if you're the right person. I enjoy it a lot, but it isnt what I thought it was when I first got into it.
    A lot of people get caught up in the fluff and image, they think its cool to carry a gun... Well, it aint all that. The gun and other hollywood stuff is about 1% of the job, and there is so much more to it than that.
    Last edited by SIXTO; November 3rd, 2007 at 01:02 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    My biggest caveat would be this:

There is a HUGE difference between SUSPECTING the worst about people in general, and KNOWING the worst about a great many REAL people.

Are you prepared to go to just about any public place, look at the faces you see, and KNOW that this one belongs to a child molester, that to a meth addict, that one over there to a wife beater.......on a daily basis?

It wears on you, every bit as much as the faces of the dead do.

Very true.
    Soon enough you will be able to pick them all out before you even know them.

Faces of the dead... they do linger, dont they? I can recall every DOA or DRT pretty well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

After 5 mo. of retirement I went back to work.
    I missed the comaradery, and the work.

Now I'm the Auxiliary L.T. and love bringing new people
    into LE.
    Less hours and day shift only.

All of the above comments about the life is spot on.
    Try it, just might be your cup of tea.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Senior Moderator
    I'd do it fulltime if I could stand the cut in pay.

Each day is never the same...there is always something different happening...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links