Emergency Cell Phones ~ QUESTION?

This is a discussion on Emergency Cell Phones ~ QUESTION? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is INTERESTING. I think one of official British Govt Talking Heads inadvertently let it slip out because I sure was not aware of it. ...

Thread: Emergency Cell Phones ~ QUESTION?

Administrator

Question Emergency Cell Phones ~ QUESTION?

This is INTERESTING.
    I think one of official British Govt Talking Heads inadvertently let it slip out because I sure was not aware of it. This is the first time that I ever heard this.
    Maybe I'm the only person that was not aware of it? QKShooter stuck in the Twilight Zone.
    He was reviewing the course of events of the terror attack in London & he said something like....

I don't think Cell Phone communication was overloaded but rather that All Cell Phone Communication was temporarily shut off and blocked in the belief that the terrorists might use cell phones to coordinate further bombings.

SO.........All cell phone communication CAN BE INSTANTLY SHUT OFF in a NATIONAL EMERGENCY just when WE might NEED our cell phone the MOST????
    What are your thoughts on this?

2. Remove Ads

Yes t least in england it can they can pull it down so that for the terrorists who dont believe in the cause to blow themselfs up they cant set off the remote cell phone activated bomb..

Its bad they can do that but if it could save more people i have to say its a good thing

I would think it would be simple to use a cell phone as trigger for a bomb.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    I would think it would be simple to use a cell phone as trigger for a bomb.
    Thats how it was done in spain that whay they were saying they yanked cell phone service in england today

Administrator

Angry I Guess I Can See BOTH Sides Of The Coin

But, If I was trapped somewhere or maybe shot and critically wounded AKA (bleeding to death) during a terror attack or a National Emergency & really NEEDED to call for help or medical assistance...I sure would be slightly "miffed" if my Cell Phone was shut off.

I don't have experience building triggers or bombs but interrupting a service that can be used to trigger such an event sounds good to me. Someone had heads up, I wonder if we in the states have the same type of control over shutting those off and who would that agency be??? Would a utility do it as a precaution???
    Good input QK.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    But, If I was trapped somewhere or maybe shot and critically wounded AKA (bleeding to death) during a terror attack or a National Emergency & really NEEDED to call for help or medical assistance...I sure would be slightly "miffed" if my Cell Phone was shut off.
    Sissy, John Wayne would have never said that!!!!
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Assistant Administrator
    It comes I think under the ''damage limitation'' and ''for the greater'' good umbrella of reasons!!

I'd not be surprised to learn that any and all cell networks can be ''switched off'' or ''switched over'' by the ''powers that be''.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Post satellite communications

Thinking about it now...I guess all they need to do is send a signal to the satellites to stop all cell phone transmissions.
    Probably pretty easy for them to do.
    My guess is that in this country Homeland Security would be the ones to do it.
    I'm just glad that I now know that they will...or could do it...so that I'll know NOT to bank anything on that phone.

FortyFive...Oh Come on...John Wayne usta get pretty "miffed" when he was bleeding to death.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter

FortyFive...Oh Come on...John Wayne usta get pretty "miffed" when he was bleeding to death.
    Naw he got pretty miffed when he was out of Whiskey nothing else matter it was just a scratch

Administrator

Bud

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Tom Clancy posited this as a development of the team in Rainbow Six, but, if he was stating it, its obviously been around awhile. Why else do you think new phone have the tracker feature that can be used with or without your consent, whether your phone is on or off? 1)Turn all the phones off. 2) if you know the # of an individual you (the Gvt) are interested in, send them a spotter signal, and pick'em up. You (the citizen)would be best served with a walkie-talkie, and a pre-arranged rendezvous point.

Don't be confused; "Emergency Services" are there to control group-panic, and to pick up the pieces of your a** that are left, in exactly that order. Over on GT's Survival/Preparedness Forum, there is a pretty good post: "Duty vs. Family". "Duty" becomes meaningless to me when it only supports the infrastructure that will tell me where to live, what to do, if I will "have access to" my family, seize my clothing/water/food/fuel for the "common good", etc..

Develop the mindet of: 1)Get to where you need to go, on foot. 2)Provide food, water and shelter for yourself and family for the longest term possible. 3) If martial law is declared, will you: A) register at your local PO as you are supposed to (in which case you will be subject to the conditions listed above), or will you B) not comply, as there is no reasonable cause to suspend civil liberties for those able to sustain themselves, and support the community best by controlling their own resources. Ugly thoughts, but very real. If you wonder about the registration at the PO, put in a call to your local Post Master. "In the event of martial law, are we still supposed to go register with you? Just wondering, these sure are scarey days....Thanks!"

Quote Originally Posted by FortyFive
    I don't have experience building triggers or bombs but interrupting a service that can be used to trigger such an event sounds good to me. Someone had heads up, I wonder if we in the states have the same type of control over shutting those off and who would that agency be??? Would a utility do it as a precaution???
    Good input QK.
    Yes, we have the ability. It would take longer, because the utilities are not nationalized, as in the UK, but not by much. I expect that pager frequencies and civilian satellite communications were also interrupted, though I haven't heard anything. Utilities have control over their services, but are generally responsive to local, state and federal requests for cooperation during emergencies.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

VIP Member
    Yes have no fear .gov has control of the horizontal and the vertical. It isn't done via a satellite signal. If you have the "right" phone you will get through. You know if you have the right phone already.

FEMA would likely be the "front" agency for exercising that control.

Your cell phone number is just a cross reference point to your NAM which is the real number of your phone that can be used for tracking it. Under the auspice of enhanced 911 services all cell phones since about 2000 are GPS capable. However GPS has its limitations. One of them is that if .gov decides to, GPS becomes very inaccurate for non-.gov receivers. So don't plan on relying on GPS to get somewhere either. If it is that bad they may activate the 15000 meter skew factor. There are some good sources on the internet for GPS information. Not goofy sites, but .edu research paper stuff.

-Scott-

Links