LEO Reciprocity

This is a discussion on LEO Reciprocity within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wanted to know if it is true that retired, on duty or off duty LEO's can carry in all 50 states. I've heard they ...

Thread: LEO Reciprocity

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

LEO Reciprocity

I wanted to know if it is true that retired, on duty or off duty LEO's can carry in all 50 states. I've heard they can. But I've also heard they can't. Whats the deal?

2. Remove Ads

The LEOSA exempts retired and off duty LE from the requirement to possess a valid Carry Permit from that state. It does not exempt them from the individual state laws such as where you can carry and certain other areas. For example, when I travel back to NJ, I cannot carry HP ammo as the state bans it for non-LE use such as civilian carry. MA prohibits magazines over ten rounds in my case. The point is, when you are out of state, you are there as a civilian unless on official business in an on duty basis.

There are other requirements that must also be met by retired LE carrying under this regulation. A search of LEOSA will get you that info.
    Richard Scalzo, Capt.
    Secaucus PD
    Secaucus, NJ
    Retired !!!!

LEOSA does pre-empt all state concealed carry statutes, with two specific exceptions, those state statutes that :
    (1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or
    (2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.

All other state carry restrictions are over-riden, including things like mandatory notification or carry in an establishment that serves alcohol (this was the interpretation provided by the firearms section of NC's state attorney general's office when I called a while back) . You want to make sure to avoid any surprises/misunderstandings though, as being face-planted during a traffic stop is going to be just as unpleasant even if you don't end up getting cited ...

It does not remove/modify any existing federal statutes regarding concealed carry (i.e. post offices, federal offices, military bases, etc.). It also does not impact any state prohibited item statutes or rules, like NJ's prohibition on hollowpoint ammunition or some other states prohibition on magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds, etc.

Nick

LEOSA was signed into law on 07/22/04. Here's a link to the statute if you want to read it:
    http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...=f:publ277.108

Links