Local Sheriff's office says they have no practice ammo

This is a discussion on Local Sheriff's office says they have no practice ammo within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by packinnova Ugh. 200 rnds a year? I used to go through 200 a week PER firearm and I'm not even an LEO. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Local Sheriff's office says they have no practice ammo

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Ugh. 200 rnds a year? I used to go through 200 a week PER firearm and I'm not even an LEO. I'm not sure I'm seeing how one can be proficient when one never fires their pistola. Sounds like a setup for disaster.
    Exactly....I took my LEO friend shooting, he told me he shot more in one night with me than in 3 years of qualifications.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Exactly....I took my LEO friend shooting, he told me he shot more in one night with me than in 3 years of qualifications.
    Qualifications are qualifications, and training is training. Thats two different critters all together.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Qualifications are qualifications, and training is training. Thats two different critters all together.
    I'll bet for many police officers, qualification is the only training they are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    I'll bet for many police officers, qualification is the only training they are getting.
    I would change that to qualification is the only practice they are getting. They most likely are not getting any further training.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    You and I can buy ammo from many sources at our discretion. Also, do you really care if you practice with 230 grain ball from federal, but carry 185 grain Golden Saber?

Agencies may need to determine which ammo best matches the duty ammo, set prices and quantity, get money budgeted (My word, says the mayor, "Do you REALLY have to shoot that much ammo in practice...I'll take a look at your budget and get back to you...", then they send out proposals for type of ammo, cost per bullet, have a bidding process to see who can come in with the quantity at the right price...

It's not just a matter of "Lets go get some ammo..."

What if they can find 230 grain ammo, but the insurance carrier specified they need to qualify with ammo that matches the weight of their carry load which is at 185 grains.

Switch carry load, you say?

Oh...well...we can't. We have 200,000 rounds of 185 grain on hand...and even if we wanted to, we have to then go through the budget/bidding process again...
    Actually, I do care if what I practice with matches what I carry. As a matter of fact, I don't carry +P rounds in my P9 because I can't find any practice +P rounds.

I have yet to hear of any department carrying anything so exotic that a matching practice weight doesn't exist, except maybe 357 Sig.

Does it mean fewer rounds might be bought for the budgeted monies? Sure. Does it mean the ammo wouldn't be delivered on time, or at all? Not if you have a contract it doesn't. That's what lawyers are for, and I doubt LE agencies don't have access to lawyers.

I'm not saying switch carry loads either. And if you have 200,000 carry rounds on hand, shoot some of those for practice/training/qualifications.

To date the only rounds I have had trouble finding is Remington's 30 carbine soft points.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post

I have yet to hear of any department carrying anything so exotic that a matching practice weight doesn't exist, except maybe 357 Sig.
    So you know of 140 grain practice ammo in .40 S&W for agencies that carry 140 grain DPX?

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Instead of sitting around the coffee shop eating donuts maybe some of these guys should be sitting in front of a nice Dillon.

i see this stuff on boards all the time. Police Departments claim that they cannot find 223/5.56mm ammo. i just bought 10,000 rounds of the stuff, Mil Spec 55 grain. Yes, it costs a little more than previously.

The PDs and the states need to break some of that Homeland Security largesse loose and buy some practice ammo.

They ought to buy from AMMOMAN. That guy has a giant warehouse in the PRNJ and shipping is free. It's typical of government - the same group that runs our schools and wants to run our healthcare. They always have an excuse.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    So you know of 140 grain practice ammo in .40 S&W for agencies that carry 140 grain DPX?
    Winchester® Ammunition Super Clean NT 140 grain .40S&W, which is non-toxic and lead-free to boot.

Yes, It's BS... I order our ammo by the tri-mester for about 100 people. I have never heard a peep from the supply section about a shortage and they fill the orders immediatley. We shoot .40 and .223 with out any shortage.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    They ought to buy from AMMOMAN. That guy has a giant warehouse in the PRNJ and shipping is free. It's typical of government - the same group that runs our schools and wants to run our healthcare. They always have an excuse.
    AMMOMAN is our department's go to guy. He has come through every time!
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Sounds like either they need to review thier budgets, or they need to make requests through the mayors office for increased money to buy the stuff based on the increased price. Maybe they could enforce more traffic laws and get more revenue or bust more dope dealers and sell thier cars and bling to pay for the ammo.

If there was truely a will they would find a way to buy what they needed. I don't buy the whole arguement.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

My clients (armorers, rangemasters and firearms instructors for LE) have declined the opportunity to try out free stocks for their AR15s or Remington 7615s because the departments can't afford .223 ammo!

On the other hand, here in KY, you can't swing a dead cat without knocking over a box of .40. Anyone that is looking should call Centerfire Systems...they've got LOADS of it.

I actually paid less for 1000 rounds of .308 last month than I did for 1000 rounds of .223!!!! Crazy.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

I just bought a pile of Range Safe practice ammo... cannot the LEO's order online like me???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links