Here is one for the books..

This is a discussion on Here is one for the books.. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's a story for ya... We were short a few Deputes on the evening shift due to deer season so I got asked to cover ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here is one for the books..

Senior Moderator

Here's a story for ya...

We were short a few Deputes on the evening shift due to deer season so I got asked to cover for one of the guys so he could go to deer camp.. Since I've got meat in the freezer I agreed. On this trip I took a ride along with me, one of the jailers that likes to go cruise with everyone after he gets off of his shift. I know the guy and he asks if he can go with me, and we take off.

A few hours into the shift, we get a domestic dispute call. The players here where well known by all of the local law,as they liked to call the police and have each other arrested about once a week. The boyfriend is the typical scuzball, an ex felon,with prison tattoos,lengthy record of arrests,most of them for acting the fool and the fact that when he gets drunk,(which is quite often) he turns into a superhuman being with the powers and strength of Superman...or so he thinks.

Only this time was different because not only was he drunk, but he had a GUN. Now everyone knows that it is illegal for a felon to be in possession of a gun, but in his drunken stupor he forgot that and threatened his live-in girlfriend with it.

A couple of units arrive and take the guy into custody,and he swears that he has never seen the gun that his live-in is talking about. We see nothing in plain sight thats obvious so we hook him up and put him in the back of the car.While hes there the girlfriend begs and pleads with us to find the gun and take it so that he cant threaten her with it again. So at her insistence, we look around but we don't find anything. This place is dirty,ugly,smells like B.O.and stale alcohol and if you look up "pigsty" in the dictionary,there will be a picture of this house under it. They had at least 6 rather large dogs in the place,one that never left the porch,one laying in the driveway, one on the couch, one in the middle of the floor, one scared one under the kitchen table and one that constantly followed us around the house....this one a black lab that looked about half grown...still in the puppy mode.

So we(me mostly) are talking to the girlfriend on the porch and explaining to her that we couldn't find a gun, and to be honest with everyone, I'm not sure that any of us looked that hard. In the few minutes that I was there I ready to take a shower and had already slapped a few fleas off of me...

The puppy is a playful thing and like any other lab I've had the pleasure of associating with, he was loving the attention the my ride along was giving him. He picks up what looks like and old sock and chunks it off the porch out into the dark and puppy takes off and like the natural born retriever that all labs are he brings it right back. This goes on for maybe two minutes while I'm standing there talking to the woman.

We get ready to go and the Jailer chunks the sock just one last time off by the trashcan...the one thats full and overflowing with empty beer cans on the ground all over the place, and you'll never guess what the puppy brought back...

...a nice little blued Taurus 85 .38 special that he drops right at our feet.

We are standing there in shock and disbeleif...
    Its got 5 HP's in it and Mr.Scuzball with the wideyes says he has no idea where its come from and that hes never seen it. We tell him no problem, we'll take care of it.

And we did,right after the fingerprint check confirmed that it was his finger pints all over it and the bullets....with a bit of smudging on the barrel from some dog slobber.

For the moment, Mr. Gunowning felon is in jail for quite sometime with various charges as he was unable to post bond. After some prodding from the Investigator on duty, he did later admit that he won it in a poker game.

The moral of the story here...if you are going to toss your gun, make sure that your dog is locked up.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Do you have a canine unit? That dog needs a job.

VIP Member
    That's sweet! Nice doggy. Nice doggy. Fetch the gun doggy, fetch.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Well that sounds like some people I've heard of in my town also.

Yep, I think the lab needs a job!

Hey HotGuns, need a partner? With a flea bath for the lab first. LOL.

Mans best friend, but not that mans,,good dawg!

Sweeeeeeeet
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

So at her insistence, we look around but we don't find anything. This place is dirty,ugly,smells like B.O.and stale alcohol and if you look up "pigsty" in the dictionary,there will be a picture of this house .....

Yeah that's exactly what most of the houses I go into are like, why can't criminals ever be like Martha Stewart?
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

That pooch needs a better home.....and a bath.....and a milkbone!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    So at her insistence, we look around but we don't find anything. This place is dirty,ugly,smells like B.O.and stale alcohol and if you look up "pigsty" in the dictionary,there will be a picture of this house .....

Yeah that's exactly what most of the houses I go into are like, why can't criminals ever be like Martha Stewart?
    Lack of personal responsibility manifests itself, generally, in all areas of life. With the possible exception of "fetch" training. That seems to have been well covered.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Excellant work dog.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Moderator
    Well, how in the world could his finger prints get on that gun? LOL!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Gooooood Dog!

Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post

Wait! I thought Martha Stewart WAS a criminal!?!?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    That is great! I keep notes on thing like that, so if the mood ever strikes me, I have material for a book. There is never any shortage of material from the job. I'm sure have you have been asked by non cop friends, "What is it like being a cop?" I tell all of mine them that it is like having front row seats to the greatest show on earth.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Administrator
    Good Boy!...now go out and fetch me a SIG.

Neat story HotGuns.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links