State Militia

This is a discussion on State Militia within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been reading up on laws, politics, and how they apply to guns. I reached a certain point and realized that with all the talk ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State Militia

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar

State Militia

I've been reading up on laws, politics, and how they apply to guns. I reached a certain point and realized that with all the talk about the 2nd amendment, I hadn't (possibly ever) read about the state militia. That got me thinking, which got me surfing.

I live outside of Cincinnati, Ohio. Apparently I am in the AOR of the Ohio Unorganized Militia, 3rd Battalion: http://www.mpna.com/swoum/index.html

Is anyone here in their local militia? What are these organizations normally like? And what are your thoughts on such organizations?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    To be all honest man... I've been interested in starting something here. I found something in PA called the Ridge Runners... but cant get a website or contact info... A lot of times you have to start your own or look for support. Thats what I'm guessing.

AMH
    Prior to joining the Army I trained with the Michigan Milita. They are a good bunch of people.
    www.michiganmilitia.com
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Thats really awesome, im going to look into an AZ militia.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

After seeing a front page article in a local paer here years ago on 2 members of the militia, and how they bragged up the General Discharge from the military to the paper, no thanks. Maybe some states are differant, I really don't know.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Administrator
    Federal Brigade
    Pennsylvania State Militia (1862)
    Organized: Harrisburg, PA; mustered in 09/10/1862
    Disbanded/Mustered out: Harrisburg, PA 09/24/1862

Commanding Officer:
    John F. Reynolds This Brigade's Chain of Command:

History of the Unit:
    "On the 4th of September, Governor Curtin issued a proclamation, calling on the people to arm, and prepare for defense.
    He recommended the immediate formation of companies and regiments throughout the Commonwealth, and, for the purpose of drill and instruction, that after three P. M., of each day, all business houses be closed.
    On the 10th, the danger having become imminent, the enemy being already in Maryland, he issued a general order, calling on all able bodied men to enroll immediately for the defense of the State, and to hold themselves in readiness to march upon an hour's notice; to select officers, to provide themselves with such arms as could be obtained, with sixty rounds of ammunition to the man, tendering arms to such as had none, and promising that they should be held for service, for such time only as the pressing exigency for State defense should continue."

"On the following day, acting under authority of the President of the United States, the Governor called for fifty thousand men, directing them to report by telegraph for orders to move, and adding that further calls would be made as the exigencies should require.
    The people everywhere flew to arms, and moved promptly to the State Capital.
    One regiment and eight companies were sent forward during the night of the 12th, and others followed as fast as they could be organized.
    On the 14th, the head of the Army of the Potomac met the enemy at South Mountain, and hurled him back through its passes, and on the evening of the 16th, and day of the 17th, a fierce battle was fought at Antietam."

"In the meantime, the militia had rapidly concentrated at Hagerstown and Chambersburg, and General John F. Reynolds, who was at the time commanding a corps in the Army of the Potomac, had assumed command.
    Fifteen thousand men were pushed forward to Hagerstown and Boonsboro, and a portion of them stood in line of battle in close proximity to the field, in readiness to advance, while the fierce fighting was in progress.
    Ten thousand more were posted in the vicinity of Greencastle and Chambersburg and

'about twenty five thousand,' says Governor Curtin, in his annual message, ''were at Harrisburg, on their way to Harrisburg, or in readiness and waiting for transportation to proceed thither.' "

"... But the enemy was defeated at Antietam, and retreated in confusion across the Potomac.
    The emergency having passed, the militia regiments were ordered to return to Harrisburg, and in accordance with the conditions on which they had been called into service, they were, on the 24th, mustered out and disbanded."
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

BAC
    Florida is trying to start one, but to the best of my knowledge has not yet. Which is actually good, if it can get its legs; it doesn't have the stigma of the previous decades and white-supremacist groups to bring down its image.

Would I join? Sure. Would I start one? Sure. I don't have the means to do either right now. At this point, I'm as likely to be eligible for law enforcement before I'll have a crack at any militia.

-B

AMH
    I have wanted to start one in OK.
    Any takers?
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Check out these guys, they have a tun of good info and are willing to help others get started. www.militiaofmontana.com
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

AMH
    Quote Originally Posted by Longbow View Post
    Check out these guys, they have a tun of good info and are willing to help others get started. www.militiaofmontana.com
    I used to subscribe to their newsletter years ago, but struggle to remember their specific view points.

Their current site appears outdated, I will need more time to adequately access their current situation
    Join the NRA!

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Legally recognized state defense forces are one thing, many states have such:

http://www.txsg.state.tx.us/
    http://www.calguard.ca.gov/oc/casmr/intro.htm

Private militias as mentioned above are things I'd stay away from.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

I found a group in az. Just a bunch of racist drunks caliming the title militia. Sad.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    tanksoldier,

As I've done some more research, and received more info from the good folks here, I've found that I'd have to agree. I was thinking it would be a bit like a gun club/outdoors club with some strong community involvement, or maybe police assistance...neighborhood watch even. But, most of what I have found is very similar to what SilenceDoGood described. I say most though, as there are some pretty decent organizations out there. Just need to find one near me, or maybe even create one.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

I think if people got together and did make themselves and outdoor club/volunteer orginization, and made themselves avaliable to help out in times of crises that it could really help alot of people out. I'll see what sort of hoops i have to jump thru in order to get this going in arizona... i'll bet there are many.

Well, a good majority of people are already in the national militia.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/311.html
    (a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
    (b) The classes of the militia are—
    (1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
    (2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

In addition, many states have statues defining militias as well.

However, there are many states which have laws against militias or paramilitary training:
    http://thehighroad.org/library/milpara.html
    So I would check those laws first, and if you're in a state with such restrictions, be very careful about how you organize and what you call yourself.

That being said, I think such an idea is a good one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links