Defensive Carry banner

U.S. Soldier Re-Enlists Hours After Being Seriously Wounded

2K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Ipack 
#1 ·
OK it ain't on US soil and so may need to be moved but armed success story by any definition my little mind can come up with.
U.S. Soldier Re-Enlists Hours After Being Seriously Wounded in Iraq IED Attack

An American soldier who was seriously wounded during a bomb attack in Iraq on Nov. 13 re-enlisted just hours after the ambush, telling Army officers he still had a job to do, the Army reported Monday.

Spc. Christopher Hoyt, an infantryman from California with the 4th Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, based out of Fort Lewis, Wash., was injured after an improvised explosive device — or IED — exploded near him while he was out on a foot patrol near Zaganiyah, Iraq.

Two of Hoyt’s fellow soldiers were killed in the attack. Hoyt was rushed to the emergency room at Logistics Support Area Anaconda where he was treated for cuts to his legs and body.

It was there, after having witnessed the deaths of his comrades, that Hoyt decided to re-enlist for four more years.

"He said he wasn’t finished," Hoyt’s battalion commander Lt. Col. Mark Landes said.

Landes conducted the re-enlistment himself. "He said, ‘I still have a job to do.' "

Command Sgt. Maj. John Troxell, the brigade’s top non-commissioned officer, who was also present during Hoyt’s re-enlistment at Anaconda, said Hoyt was the epitome of what a soldier should be.

"It takes a person of very strong character to go through an incident where another soldier five feet away was killed, and he was severally wounded, and still say 'I believe in what we are doing and I want to stay on the team. I want to support the United States Army and my country,' " Troxell said.

"He is a model for what all men and women should be, and that is very patriotic and very selfless," Troxell said.

Hoyt is currently recovering in an Army hospital in Germany
If you think that these guys are doing anything worthy of our gratitude you can send them a free Thanksgiving text message at Thanksgiving Text Message Our Troops

#2 ·
Effin hooah, SPC Hoyt.

#3 ·
I think some of our elected officials in D.C. could learn a little bit about what true patiotism is. :yup:

From California huh.

Wonder if he'll be voting for Pelosi next November?

:urla9ub:

#8 ·
Well, if you are truly using a chess analogy, then the junior enlisted infantryman might indeed be the "pawn." If you are taking a swipe at the administration and its persecution of the war, I suggest another thread/forum.

If you are taking a personal shot at SPC Hoyt, I suggested a running car in a closed garage...

#9 ·
No personal shot...so bring your fangs in...

I believe he is being used as a pawn for political purposes...not a swipe at the war or administration...as far as I can tell, only shown on Fox news. He as a CIB, PH pinned to his pillow and big American flag behind him (no mention of this)...and then he does the oath of office...photo op in all. I no not doubt his honor, patriotism and loyalty...but what was the purpose releasing such a photo? Are all photos released during reenlistment (this is not the first case of someone reenlisting while wounded)? Why only Fox news?

As I said before...kudos to his service and strength of duty. You guys can chill.

Rick

#17 ·
BANDIT I read a lot of your threads; I am assuming you are a civilian. I am not trying to have a pissing contest with you, but I get very flustered when anti's (not saying that's what you are) bad talk the U.S. military. I know the military regs and have served my great country for over 10+ years. Please be kind to my military brothers because remember we fight for even you! Take care and thank a soldier...truce...

#18 ·
Deal...and mine is 20+ with two tours in SWA. Hummm...bad talk...don't think so and challenge you to prove so.

You and others obviously missed my point (or I hit a sensitivity cord or both)...

Troops don't re-up or serve to get their picture in the paper...they do it out of patriotism and duty. OPFOR mentioned "rub the wrong way"...well, it rubs me the wrong way when a major news media attempts to score political points (hence, the pawn). Stars and Stripes...one thing, but the troops I have had the honor to serve with would rather serve as the silent warrior.

I salute your service...but please, not everything is black or white nor you're the only guardian of freedoms (as in speech).

Rick

#19 ·
OK, I do see it you what you are talking about now. I am a face to face person and its hard too convey my true message in a forum. The news outlets have always used us, but we need them too. With out the media the U.S. wouldn't be aware of many things. Thanks for your service, I have been to Iraq 2 times and once to Kuwait and another deployment to Saudi. I admit I am getting tired of deploying and so is my family, but I love it for some strange reason. By the way, what do you do now? are you at Tinker by any chance?

#25 ·
I am non military myself, but have relation that is and has served. I appreciate all military service and appreciate what they do and sacrifice. I am proud of all and hate what some do to denograte, and belittle the military. Anytime I see reports of this type it makes me proud of those who chose to serve their country this way. I know it can't be easy, and is a huge sacrifice, and I think we are lucky to have these brave men and women serving for our benifit.
Wether this is a publicity stunt or not, makes no difference to me, he's got b@lls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.