U.S. Soldier Re-Enlists Hours After Being Seriously Wounded

This is a discussion on U.S. Soldier Re-Enlists Hours After Being Seriously Wounded within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK it ain't on US soil and so may need to be moved but armed success story by any definition my little mind can come ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Soldier Re-Enlists Hours After Being Seriously Wounded

OK it ain't on US soil and so may need to be moved but armed success story by any definition my little mind can come up with.
    U.S. Soldier Re-Enlists Hours After Being Seriously Wounded in Iraq IED Attack

An American soldier who was seriously wounded during a bomb attack in Iraq on Nov. 13 re-enlisted just hours after the ambush, telling Army officers he still had a job to do, the Army reported Monday.

Spc. Christopher Hoyt, an infantryman from California with the 4th Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, based out of Fort Lewis, Wash., was injured after an improvised explosive device — or IED — exploded near him while he was out on a foot patrol near Zaganiyah, Iraq.

Two of Hoyt’s fellow soldiers were killed in the attack. Hoyt was rushed to the emergency room at Logistics Support Area Anaconda where he was treated for cuts to his legs and body.

It was there, after having witnessed the deaths of his comrades, that Hoyt decided to re-enlist for four more years.

"He said he wasn’t finished," Hoyt’s battalion commander Lt. Col. Mark Landes said.

Landes conducted the re-enlistment himself. "He said, ‘I still have a job to do.' "

Command Sgt. Maj. John Troxell, the brigade’s top non-commissioned officer, who was also present during Hoyt’s re-enlistment at Anaconda, said Hoyt was the epitome of what a soldier should be.

"It takes a person of very strong character to go through an incident where another soldier five feet away was killed, and he was severally wounded, and still say 'I believe in what we are doing and I want to stay on the team. I want to support the United States Army and my country,' " Troxell said.

"He is a model for what all men and women should be, and that is very patriotic and very selfless," Troxell said.

Hoyt is currently recovering in an Army hospital in Germany
    If you think that these guys are doing anything worthy of our gratitude you can send them a free Thanksgiving text message at Thanksgiving Text Message Our Troops
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

VIP Member
    Effin hooah, SPC Hoyt.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I think some of our elected officials in D.C. could learn a little bit about what true patiotism is.

From California huh.

Wonder if he'll be voting for Pelosi next November?

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Today I give thanks for Spec Hoyt.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I think he is being used as a pawn...

Kudos to him...and many more reenlistments...

Rick

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I think he is being used as a pawn...
    Rick
    I think you should explain that.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    I think you should explain that.
    +1 on that Maybe I just took it wrong
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

VIP Member
    Well, if you are truly using a chess analogy, then the junior enlisted infantryman might indeed be the "pawn." If you are taking a swipe at the administration and its persecution of the war, I suggest another thread/forum.

If you are taking a personal shot at SPC Hoyt, I suggested a running car in a closed garage...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Well, if you are truly using a chess analogy, then the junior enlisted infantryman might indeed be the "pawn." If you are taking a swipe at the administration and its persecution of the war, I suggest another thread/forum.

If you are taking a personal shot at SPC Hoyt, I suggested a running car in a closed garage...
    No personal shot...so bring your fangs in...

I believe he is being used as a pawn for political purposes...not a swipe at the war or administration...as far as I can tell, only shown on Fox news. He as a CIB, PH pinned to his pillow and big American flag behind him (no mention of this)...and then he does the oath of office...photo op in all. I no not doubt his honor, patriotism and loyalty...but what was the purpose releasing such a photo? Are all photos released during reenlistment (this is not the first case of someone reenlisting while wounded)? Why only Fox news?

As I said before...kudos to his service and strength of duty. You guys can chill.

Rick

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

...as far as I can tell, only shown on Fox news. I no not doubt his honor, patriotism and loyalty...but what was the purpose releasing such a photo? Are all photos released during reenlistment (this is not the first case of someone reenlisting while wounded)? Why only Fox news?

Rick
    Do you really think the main stream (elite) media wants anybody in the U.S. to think there are soldiers, marines and sailors reenlisting in the war zone, reenlisting to go back into the war zone and reenlisting just to continue serving and fighting for their country out of pure patiotism and love of their country.

I think not.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

VIP Member

I believe he is being used as a pawn for political purposes...not a swipe at the war or administration...as far as I can tell, only shown on Fox news. He as a CIB, PH pinned to his pillow and big American flag behind him (no mention of this)...and then he does the oath of office...photo op in all. I no not doubt his honor, patriotism and loyalty...but what was the purpose releasing such a photo? Are all photos released during reenlistment (this is not the first case of someone reenlisting while wounded)? Why only Fox news?

As I said before...kudos to his service and strength of duty. You guys can chill.

Rick
    Check, understood. I apologize if I came across poorly, but this is something I (obviously) feel strongly about.

To answer some of your questions: It is VERY common to highlight unusual re-enlistment ceremonies within the military community. Every issue of Stars and Stripes, as well as the Army (and other service) Times, Soldiers magazine (and the equivalents) usually features a photo of someone swearing in on a mountain top, in a fighting position, in front of an objective that they just took, etc. And ALL re-enlistments should be done in front of a US flag - that is just the way it's done.

As for the CIB and Purple Heart - he would have had them on his chest, if he could have been in uniform. It is standard practice to pin someone's medals on a pillow when they are confined to a hospital bed.

Actually, I'm surprised even Fox carried the story. It's just a "human interest" piece, something that every media outlet has from time to time...not really news, but interesting. I've seen similar stories on other networks; I guess Fox was the only one who needed a story like that at the time.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Check, understood. I apologize if I came across poorly, but this is something I (obviously) feel strongly about.

To answer some of your questions: It is VERY common to highlight unusual re-enlistment ceremonies within the military community. Every issue of Stars and Stripes, as well as the Army (and other service) Times, Soldiers magazine (and the equivalents) usually features a photo of someone swearing in on a mountain top, in a fighting position, in front of an objective that they just took, etc. And ALL re-enlistments should be done in front of a US flag - that is just the way it's done.

As for the CIB and Purple Heart - he would have had them on his chest, if he could have been in uniform. It is standard practice to pin someone's medals on a pillow when they are confined to a hospital bed.

Actually, I'm surprised even Fox carried the story. It's just a "human interest" piece, something that every media outlet has from time to time...not really news, but interesting. I've seen similar stories on other networks; I guess Fox was the only one who needed a story like that at the time.
    I'm a father to a career soldier and proud of it. I think that it may be a photo-op, nothing wrong with that these soldiers deserve to be stars and should be looked up to by all. On the other side though using it as a re-up poster can back fire. I remember back in Vietnam there was a big push to get us to re-up in Vietnam and extend our tour + get the $10,000 bonus tax free. They had posters of a certain soldier reupping, full court press and all, I think he was even shown in one receiving the $10,000 check. Anyway a couple of weeks after the pictures and press he was KIA'd in an ambush and suddenly all of the posters disappeared.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

B52
    The US flag should be included when re-enlisting, its been in my last three re-enlistments. You should study up on military regulations before you post your opinion BANDIT! This soldier is a hero!

Hero; God Bless.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    The US flag should be included when re-enlisting, its been in my last three re-enlistments. You should study up on military regulations before you post your opinion BANDIT! This soldier is a hero!

Hummm....did I say he wasn't a hero...perhaps you "should" study up on yours...and read a bit more closely.

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links