ASP Handcuffs - Best link to purchase from?

This is a discussion on ASP Handcuffs - Best link to purchase from? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Several of our officers have gone to the ASP cuffs - that key from either side. I've found some here: http://www.lapolicegear.com/asphandcuffs.html $27.99 and wondering if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASP Handcuffs - Best link to purchase from?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

ASP Handcuffs - Best link to purchase from?

Several of our officers have gone to the ASP cuffs - that key from either side. I've found some here:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/asphandcuffs.html
    $27.99

and wondering if any of you have purchased from this site and if you recommend them or if you know of any other sites you'd recommend over this one?

Thanks in advance...
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Several of our officers have gone to the ASP cuffs - that key from either side. I've found some here:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/asphandcuffs.html
    $27.99

and wondering if any of you have purchased from this site and if you recommend them or if you know of any other sites you'd recommend over this one?

Thanks in advance...
    I definitely do not recommend LA Police Gear. I've placed three orders with them and none of what I ordered was ever in stock. As for ASP cuffs...can't say, never used them.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    www.officerstore.com is a dealer for all of the ASP line. Joe Wilson is their LE sales director. He is a former cop and an all around good guy. If I may be so bold as to ask, why the ASP cuffs? They are easily broken, even the ones that have been updated. The weight savings over a standard pair of Peerless or S&W is minimal. IMHO not worth the loss of strength.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Administrator
    I'd think long and hard about the ASP cuffs... for the very reasons knuckledrager mentioned. Peerless and S&W have been around for a longtime. The keys are a problem too.

Take a look at the reviews here; http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=RS164

If you must go with the ASP, make sure you buy a pouch large enough to carry them, they are much thicker.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    www.officerstore.com is a dealer for all of the ASP line. Joe Wilson is their LE sales director. He is a former cop and an all around good guy. If I may be so bold as to ask, why the ASP cuffs? They are easily broken, even the ones that have been updated. The weight savings over a standard pair of Peerless or S&W is minimal. IMHO not worth the loss of strength.
    The ASP (as far as I know) is the only ones that can "key" from either side.

Administrator
    I thought there was another one out there... maybe Hiatts? I'm not sure.

Why is the key lock so important to you on both sides? I'm just wondering if you have a special circumstance where this will particularly important.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I thought there was another one out there... maybe Hiatts? I'm not sure.

Why is the key lock so important to you on both sides? I'm just wondering if you have a special circumstance where this will particularly important.
    SIXTO's link to comments at Galls has a couple examples - when your working with an uncooperative suspect - it's difficult to cuff with key hole facing the best way.

Administrator
    SIXTO's link to comments at Galls has a couple examples - when your working with an uncooperative suspect - it's difficult to cuff with key hole facing the best way.
    When it comes down to it, your not going to be paying attention to that anyway...

I dont know of where you can buy them at the best price to answer your original question.
    "Just blame Sixto"

All suspects are cooperative, some just don't know that they are. Getting handcuffs on a suspect in the middle of a furball is never easy. We train toward the goal of only cuffing complaint suspects. I realize that this in not always practicable BUT, in that situation just get 'em on. Deal with the "one up one down" keyway scene later. As Sixto said, there are some problems with the keys for the Asp products. We are a central booking station and we see officers from other agencies that allow Asp cuffs (we do not). Most have had problems with their cuffs. I would rather stick with chained Peerless (or S&W or Hiatts etc).
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

When teaching my restraint class a common question is typically, "what brand do you recomend?" I personally recomend S&W and Peerless. I've said the exact thing about ASP handcuffs that the other guys have already mentioned.

Don't let the keyway issue be your top reason for buying quality cuffs.
    Beretta 92FS

Oh good grief. People, he asked where he could buy a certain product. He wants that product and asked for your help locating a dealer. He NEVER asked for you to criticize his decision or for you to talk him out of buying them.

Since everyone decided to throw out their unsolicited opinion, I guess I will too.

They are easily broken, even the ones that have been updated.
    Please present evidence to support your OPINION!!!! I have yet to see any proof of this. I do know that the original cuffs were able to be picked if you happen to be holding an object that was able to be bent into the proper shape. But I have never seen any evidence that they are broken any easier than any other brand of cuff.

I carry ASP cuffs and have for a while now and so do a lot of my co-workers. I'm not sure exactly how they are "easily broken" but they have held the biggest badest people we have been able to put them on. People amped up on coke, meth, heroine, etc. And so far all they have gotten as a result is a bruised wrist.

The ASP cuffs are lightweight, easy to use, and 100% reliable. People occasionally tell me they look fragile and then I let them handle them. People like to twist them and try to pry them apart. I even did it when I bought them. So far they haven't so much as flexed much less broken. It is nice to be able to double lock from both sides and unlock from both sides.

And I HIGHLY recommend the hinged cuffs. They are great.

The only down side to carrying ASP cuffs is that you have to get specific cuff cases and they don't sell a dual cuff case.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Administrator
    So, where can he buy them then?

...and I did provide a link to a retailer with user reviews for him to look at.

If we dont share the first hand experiances we have about these specialty products then how will we ever know what works well and does not?

Go get some sleep S.O... a new shift starts in a few hours.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If we dont share the first hand experiances we have about these specialty products then how will we ever know what works well and does not?
    I absolutely agree 100%. We should all share our FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE. I will never disagree with you there.

But, you didn't share any first hand experience. You simply said you would watch out because of the reasons someone else mentioned. Then you tried to talk him into another brand of cuff. In four post you have yet to share any FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with the product. Have you ever owned and used a pair? I have and I gave him my experience with the product.

And I do apologize for not listing a source in my first post. I meant to recommend looking into GT Distributors at www.gtdist.com. Thats where I got mine.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Administrator
    OK, fine I will. I watched a female officer loose control over a drunk who had popped the latch on her new ASP cuffs. She needed several stitches from when the ratchet was raked across her mouth.

Also, a lot of times when I take a prisoner into the jail, we have to wait longer in line because the C.O.'s have trouble getting them back off the prisoner. The A.O. has to be called from the intake paperwork window to release his prisoner... that assuming he has the proper key.

Like I said, for the same reasons that were meantioned above my first post.

Its not worth getting bent out of shape over, we are just trying to help ArmyCop out. I happen to know a thing or two about the equipment we use, I'd thought I'd share a little bit of knowledge to help a brother out. Sorry if you didnt like what I said, I hope you enjoy your new cuffs and get many years of trouble free service from them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm at the job now but will post my FIRST HAND experiences with the asp cuffs within the next 24 hrs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links