Arizona Town Sick of Crime

This is a discussion on Arizona Town Sick of Crime within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today's (12-6-07) Arizona Republic started this article on page 1. http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...guila1206.html The residents of the town of Aguila, sick and tired with poor response times ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arizona Town Sick of Crime

Today's (12-6-07) Arizona Republic started this article on page 1.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...guila1206.html

The residents of the town of Aguila, sick and tired with poor response times from Sheriff Joe Arpaio's force are starting to arm themselves in order to have a measure of protection. For people living in large urban areas, emergency response times of 15 minutes may be intolerable. Imagine response time measured in hours.

Hopefully, the Republic will stay on top of this story. I, personally will be watching to see how events unfold.
    Never Again!
    Speak softly and carry a large caliber weapon.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Ask the people in that mall in Omaha what kind of response times are intolerable. They say that the cops were there in 6 minutes, and already 8 people and the shooter were dead.

The only acceptable response time is "immediate" -- and you get that only by carrying a defensive weapon of your own!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Geez... isn't Aguila out past Wickenburg? Yeah I bet they're sick of crime. IIRC, the county line is right there. Good for them for getting armed.

"You know you're from Arizona when the number of guns outstrip the number of members of your household."

Oddly enough, I'm going to be out that direction this weekend for some desert hiking. Bringing the HK for sure.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

"The town is dominated by Martori Farms, which grows melons, broccoli and other crops."

Bingo!!! There is your answer. No one wants to talk about all the Matori Farms illegals who support town businesses.

The county where i live in is bigger than the state of Rhode Island. After normal duty hours there is one deputy patrolling in the eastern part of the county and another in the west: Better be able to protect yourself and yours if trouble comes your way.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    The only acceptable response time is "immediate" -- and you get that only by carrying a defensive weapon of your own!
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    The county where i live in is bigger than the state of Rhode Island. After normal duty hours there is one deputy patrolling in the eastern part of the county and another in the west: Better be able to protect yourself and yours if trouble comes your way.
    This sounds familiar. If you weren't in Oklahoma I'd say you were talking about my old job.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Administrator
    Wow... normal duty hours in my book are 24/7. The more people understand that the police cant be every where (and you dont want them to be) and take a little responsibilty themseves, the better off we all are.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Everyone that is not a criminal should be armed to even things up.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

SIXTO,
    +10!!!!!!!!
    Sig 210,
    And why don't they need more deputies? Because the criminals know they are in a rural area and country people will protect themselves and their property and then call the law and a jury of their peers is not going to convict them for doing so!!!!!!!!
    YYYYEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

If the Minutemen are anywhere near that neck of the woods that probably helps keep the thugs at bay too. Good for the folks in Aguila!
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

I'm glad these people are taking the responsibility for their safety into their hands. I hear far too many cry about "someone should do something..." or "where were the police..." etc. Sixto said it best, LEOs can't be everywhere and you wouldn't want them to be. No one will respond at my house faster than me.
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Ask the people in that mall in Omaha what kind of response times are intolerable. They say that the cops were there in 6 minutes, and already 8 people and the shooter were dead.

That IS the fastest response time...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Everyone that is not a criminal should be armed to even things up.
    That would actually MORE than even things up.

Violent sociopaths make up only about 2% of the population.

Throw in all manner of felons, and you're at about 10%.

Include anyone who's ever been convicted of ANY misdemeanor, and I doubt you'd even reach 25%.

So, by definition, your plan would provide at LEAST a 3-to-1 advantage for the "good guys".

Thumbs up

The residents should be equally sick of their own failure to take responsibility for their security. Standing up like this, I'm hopeful that at least some of them feel some sense of personal failure over having allowed this to go on as long as it has, knowing that they indeed do have the power to change things.

The crux of this story isn't a matter of the "powers" failing to protect them. Rather, it's about the citizens not previously having reached the conclusion that their protection is their own responsibility. Good for them, for doing so now.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

One reason I always carry in AZ. Yet as was stated the best weapon ine has his thier brain. I don't go to high crime area's. At Night I carry one of my Surefirelight, along with me plus some OC, beside my Pistol. Avoiding and bad situation is the best way of staying out of trouble anywhere.

im glad there are at least people there willing to step up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links