LE Responsibility; SCOTUS case

This is a discussion on LE Responsibility; SCOTUS case within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As I understand it there was a Supreme Court case where they 'decided' that it was 'not the responsibility of LE to protect the public'. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LE Responsibility; SCOTUS case

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool LE Responsibility; SCOTUS case

As I understand it there was a Supreme Court case where they 'decided' that it was 'not the responsibility of LE to protect the public'.
    Am I right on this and if so, what was the case?

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Yes, that is true. Hang on a minute, I'll try and find a link to the case for you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The legal precedent for all of this actually dates back to 1856, in the South v Maryland case the court found that law enforcement officials had no duty to provide protection to individuals. In 1982, Bowers v DeVito decided in the US 7th circuit court affirmed the 1856 decision saying that ""...there is no Constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." This decision was upheld in later appeals. In June of 2005, the Castle Rock V Gonzales case once again demonstrated the SCOTUS' opinion that the state or federal government is under no legal obligation whatsoever to protect you from harm. Mrs. Gonzales was a woman who had obtained a restraining order against her ex-husband who then proceeded to abduct their three daughters. Mrs. Gonzales called police, who did nothing (as usual) and let the matter lie. The next morning, the Ex-husband opened fire on the local police station and committed "suicide by cop". The three daughters were found in the back seat of his vehicle, murdered. Mrs. Gonzales filed suit against the police dept. seeking damages, which were never awarded because of the Courts' decision. Basically their view on this is: If the government won't protect you, then you have to take responsibility for your own self-defense and that of your family.

Everybody understand?
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Administrator
    Heres a good read with some links to case law.

http://www.mcrkba.org/w19.html
    "Just blame Sixto"

Cool Thank you

Thanks to both of you, SIXTO and edr9x23super. Appreciate it.

Cool

OMG. This is incredible. Some of these cases are unbelievable.
    Read case law for a few cases starting with South v. Maryland (1856)all the way to Castle Rock v. Gonzalez (2005) and you will see that the courts (all the way up to the SCOTUS) have ruled that LEO's and LE have absolutely NO responsibilty and are not liable to protect the individual citizen. This is even if the individual is in the custody of the LEO or LE.
    This is not an affront to LE or LEO's as I believe that a clear majority of LEO's are in LE because they want to serve the public and honestly want to help people and that is a noble cause. I also believe that it is unrealistic to believe that they are capable of protecting the individual simply because it is impossible to predict crime. That is why I have taken it upon myself to be able to protect myself and my family.
    What I am amazed by is the extreme that courts have gone in ruling that LE and LEO's are not liable for even negligence such as if a person in in there custody.
    If all of the public was aware of this I think that only the most le of all of the would buy in to the Brady Bunch line of "Call the police". I also believe the demand of the public would become much louder for the RTBA.

Thanks for your help.

Administrator
    No problem. A lot of people are shocked when I tell them this FTF in uniform standing on their front porch... I'm glad you seeked the answer yourself.
    I do this when they request me to camp out in front of their home for the night because someone called them a name at work or something silly like that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Read case law for a few cases starting with South v. Maryland (1856)all the way to Castle Rock v. Gonzalez (2005) and you will see that the courts (all the way up to the SCOTUS) have ruled that LEO's and LE have absolutely NO responsibilty and are not liable to protect the individual citizen

Yeah... its funny how the Brady Group,and all of the other anti gun Politicians that call themselves Senators, Congressmen,Governors,Sheriffs,Police Chiefs or even Mayors that are anti gun never seem to mention that fact when they vote to restrict your ability to defend yourself.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    Read case law for a few cases starting with South v. Maryland (1856)all the way to Castle Rock v. Gonzalez (2005) and you will see that the courts (all the way up to the SCOTUS) have ruled that LEO's and LE have absolutely NO responsibilty and are not liable to protect the individual citizen. :
    Guess this should cinch our case for the right to keep and bear arms.
    Would it not?

I don't know a single officer that doesn't WANT to protect everyone...

It's just impossible.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I don't know a single officer that doesn't WANT to protect everyone...

It's just impossible.
    I dont. I dont even what to try too. In order to make an honest effort at it, the people woud become more like livestock rather than citizens.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Do the most good for the most people with the understanding that, for many reasons, you can't be all for all.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont. I dont even what to try too. In order to make an honest effort at it, the people woud become more like livestock rather than citizens.
    +1 Sixto, but I think the politicians want us to be more like livestock.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    Read case law for a few cases starting with South v. Maryland (1856)all the way to Castle Rock v. Gonzalez (2005) and you will see that the courts (all the way up to the SCOTUS) have ruled that LEO's and LE have absolutely NO responsibilty and are not liable to protect the individual citizen. This is even if the individual is in the custody of the LEO or LE.
    so let me see if i have this straight. if a LEO detains someone for commiting a crime and that person is killed not by the LEO the LEO isn't responsible legaly. yet if a soldier detains someone who's placing an IED and that person is killed not by the soldier that soldier will be raked over the coals for not protecting them???

this makes absolutly no sense. if you detain someone you should responsible for their well being untill you transfer that responsability and that person to someone else soldier or LEO
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    'Cat,

The SCOTUS decisions have affirmed that LEOs are not responsible for the protection of individuals but are responsible for the protection of society as a whole. This does not grant an LEO automatic immunity from liability in the event of an in custody death or injury.

It does mean, among other things, that an individual, who is the target of a criminal, is responsible for their own defense until the LEOs arrive. As long as the LEOs are responding in a realistic, timely manner they will not be responsible for "failing to protect" the target of criminal activity from all manner of bad things that may have happened during the aforementioned response time.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links