New Security "Officer"

New Security "Officer"

This is a discussion on New Security "Officer" within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My goal, as some of you may know, is to start a private security firm once I graduate. Tommrw I finally start as a security ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Security "Officer"

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

New Security "Officer"

My goal, as some of you may know, is to start a private security firm once I graduate. Tommrw I finally start as a security officer at one of the most professional places I could find (i said guard at the place, and got 100000 dirty looks). I'm sort of weary about doing this because I feel like I'm going into a hostile area with ONLY an ASP baton and some handcuffs, but I suppose it will be great practice on keeping my situational awarness up. Anyways, I'm just looking for advice anyone has to offer to help me stay safe, or tips that may help me perform my job better.

THank you!!!!
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

VIP Member
    1) Learn every corner of the place, walk it several times until you can picture it in your head dead asleep. It will help you escape from a bad situation.
    2) Read people's body language. If you don't know, get some books on the matter. It comes handy figuring out who belongs and what intentions do they have.
    3) You are not bulletproof so don't get yourself in a situation you can't get away from in half a second. Beside, any action you may take can come back to haunt you legally. Not a lot of loyalty towards Security Officers from corporate.
    4) If you have to do it, write good reports. Be detailed and just write what happend, dont assume. 99% of the times the rport will no go further than the office, the other 1% will fall in the hands of a lawyer that will do his best to make you look like an irresponsible moron. A report will also cover your butt from the higher ups in case they ignore something you warned them about.
    5) Notebook & Pen. All the time. If you are smart, you will use it more than anything else. I don't care how great your memory is, something will slip away. WRITE IT DOWN.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

They got something against you carrying pepper spray or a taser? Extendable baton? Good luck in your new capacity and job.

Ditto to what Miggy said.

Carry backup communications. (ie. extra cell phone with essential numbers on speed dial.) Also, carry a spare battery pack for the comm. If you don't have firepower, your next best defense is communcations.

Also, check out one of the smaller Surefire or Streamlight flashlights that will fit in a belt holster as a backup. If you lose your main light, this could save your life.

Find out where the valuables are and locate some angles where you can keep an eye on them without being seen. A lot of the burglaries are set up by inside people and they tell the BGs where the best stuff is located.

Lastly, strategically place rolls of duct tape around the place. Cleaning closets, and wiring closets are good places. You will be amazed at how often you will use it. If you are the night security, many times you will be stuck doing other chores like taping over a broken window because of a storm or a thrown rock.

Hopefully, the will let you carry a knife or leatherman tool.

Good Luck and stay safe.

Administrator
    Well, what kind of joint are you guarding? Is it a mall, a office or industrial type place or a popsical stand?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Unarmed security personnel are more a touchy feely good thing for employees and a customer, than it is for real security. Keep that in mind when as Forest Gump says ”it happens”, and take cover, or at least don’t’ play super hero.

And as others have said, write down everything. I use to tell my employees, that if you don’t write it down, as far as I am concerned, it did not happen.

Real Security:

The company I worked for in the 80’s security force carried Uzi’s, concealed under a specially built sport coat.

World security as they where called back then, had to be at least black belts, and a marksman with handguns, before applying for the job. Then they went through six months of training that included hand to hand, explosives and surveillance detection, and use of Uzi’s before they where ever allowed to work for us in the field.

Then depending on what we needed them for they arrived in teams of two or four, hours before we did to make sure the building/area was secure.

Good luck, I wouldn't do it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    My goal, as some of you may know, is to start a private security firm once I graduate. Tommrw I finally start as a security officer at one of the most professional places I could find (i said guard at the place, and got 100000 dirty looks). I'm sort of weary about doing this because I feel like I'm going into a hostile area with ONLY an ASP baton and some handcuffs, but I suppose it will be great practice on keeping my situational awarness up. Anyways, I'm just looking for advice anyone has to offer to help me stay safe, or tips that may help me perform my job better.

THank you!!!!
    Are they sending you to baton training or just going heres a baton, wear it?

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Baton training. They will send me to an a 20 hour class once I am 21 to become and armed guard. I am guarding Apartment complexes first. I actually do get some mace as well. If you wanna make the big leagues, you have to start at the bottom. Thanks for all the advice, and thanks for the PM Miggy.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    When I once (only for a week) worked un-armed security, just after leaving the military, I carried a pistol under my uniform shirt slipped into a t-shirt holster. Never told anyone and just knew I'd only pull it if my life was in jeapordy. But that was me and I had a license to carry armed.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Personally I wouldn't do unarmed security, BUUUT you do have to start somewhere,stay safe. Can you carry a "backup" defensive folder knife (or two) ? OC spray?

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

THank you!!!!
    No gun? Wear a really good pair of track shoes and get a good life insurance policy...

Actually, be alert, have OC spray, a cell phone (with important #'s), and paper & pencil...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Notebook and a couple o' pens. Good assisted opening knife. Surefire light (or two). Ability to run fast and scream/cry like a six year old is good too. Im so glad I do armed security now in a hospital. If the excrement hits the oscillator and I am full of holes, I just go to a nurse.

Seriously though good luck and stay safe.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

VIP Member
    I am guarding Apartment complexes first.
    So patrolling won't be boring unless it is in the wee hours which, since you are starting those are the ones that you will get

If you can, engage the locals conversationally. Be nice & helpful but don't be a pushover. Some will hate you no matter what, some will ignore you and most will be friendly to several degrees. What you will accomplish doing this is twofold: 1) Word will get back to the bosses that you are a good officer and 2) People will talk to you and you will gather information that may come handy to avoid crap from happening, specially to you. Remember, your two main objectives are getting home at the end of the shift and cut on the paperwork.
    If LEOs patrol regularly on your area, try to know them at least so they can recognize you. As with regular people, some will be friendly and some will think you are .... well, this is a family friendly forum. If you are lucky and get a regular friendly LEO, don't pester him/her or want to become his buddy or call them because Ms. Henry's cat is in heat and the neighbors are complaining. LEOs are busy enough and you will wear out their patience with BS calls. The upswing on this is that if you call them because you really need them, they may get there faster because they know you don't cry wolf every 5 minutes. Also, when they get there, be precise and professional giving them information since in most cases you will be either the interested party or the neutral one. Don't assume facts you don't know & tell only what you saw/heard/smell/touched and don't embellish.
    Last edited by Miggy; December 17th, 2007 at 11:32 AM. Reason: adding info
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I did armed apartment security while working my way through college, strangely enough I was allowed/expected from day one to be armed with a pistol, but it took quite awhile before I could get to a class to be certified for OC.

The apartment complexes I worked were public housing or public assisted/Section 8 buildings, and all in less savory parts of town (Indianapolis) Words of advice:

-Learn who your friends are ASAP. Most residents want security, especially the older folks who have been there for years. They can tell you more in a 15 minute chat about the "lay of the land" than what you could learn on your own in 15 weeks of patrolling the place. They can be especially in helpful so you can...
    - Learn who your enemies are. Get on good terms with a few residents and they will be more than happy to tell you who the homeboys/dealers/scumbags are. It goes without saying to CYA/check six/stay alert, stay alive when dealing with these individuals. But even then, be cautious, but have an open mind, very few people are pure evil. I literally was having a knock down, drag out, through-the-drywall, am-I-gonna-be-alive-in-the-next-5-minutes fight with a crackhead one weekend, and accepting his sincere apology and handshake (covered by my brother, I am forgiving, but not stupid) the next weekend (after he got out of jail for our little 'dance') People are strange...
    -Bring a sense of humor, you'll need it.
    -DON'T be tempted to "play The Man'. Know the limits of your authority, which is usually the same as if you were the actual property owner, maybe more if you get sworn in as a special deputy (or its equivalent for your area), and act ONLY within those limits. Several of the Special Deputies I worked with got jammed up/lost their arrest powers for getting to hyped up about their (semi) sworn status and doing something stupid, *Don't be that guy!* In other words...
    - Your personnel safety/security is your most important job when you are on shift. Everything else is a distant second. Chased a guy into an abandoned building...the walls of which were plastered every 10 feet will posters from the Health Department telling me about the nice little Legionaire's Disease the place was crawling with... Thanks for playing folks, but I really must be going... I ran outta that place faster than the guy we chased into it...which was hard as hell since I was trying to sprint and hold my breath at the same time...
    Do you job to the best of you ability, but keep in mind that they DO NOT pay you enough/offer you an adequate support system to risk your health/safety/freedom/life to protect the property OR the people that live there. The main purpose of security officers is deterence, and that is all that businesses (and their insurance providers) are willing to pay for, don't forget that.
    - DO NOT(!!!) give the company dispatcher's or office phone number to the crazy lady that lives in the complex, unless you *enjoy* being dispatched 6 times a shift to investigate the large men that have exited from her vagina and are threatening her, or to tell the talking dust balls under her bed to shut up so she can sleep.
    (True story, and no *I* wasn't the genius that gave her the number.. )
    -DO enjoy the job. Security work can be a pleasant combination of public safety/semi-police work, office work, public relations, social work, brain-cell killing boredom, brain-cell frying excitement, and going to the zoo/circus/insane asylum all rolled in one...!

Be safe!

EDIT: Just saw that Miggy said the same thing I did about getting to know the residents, and also added what I meant to in regard to the local PD...excellent advice!
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links