Not-so-nice LEO encouter

This is a discussion on Not-so-nice LEO encouter within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Funny that not all entrances are posted. In VA it's state code that parks are closed sunset to sunrise unless otherwise posted. Might want to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41

Thread: Not-so-nice LEO encouter

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA
    Posts
    5,127
    Funny that not all entrances are posted. In VA it's state code that parks are closed sunset to sunrise unless otherwise posted. Might want to check your state/city code for similar wording, otherwise hard to enforce.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,673
    Sorry Pete, nothing personal, but you sound like a whining little kid that got his panties bunched up because a big man was "mean" to you.
    You stated that you were in the park after dark.. the LEO told you that was illegal. You admitted what you were doing would look to the casual observer that it was a drug deal... Where is the problem here?

    I also have a feeling if you didnt get stopped, this thread would be about the stupid cop that had no idea that you where there, and because of his poor training and lack of ability you could have taken him blah blah blah, etc.

    I dont mean this as an attack, but I've been in both sets of shoes lots and lots of times, and you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    Last edited by SIXTO; December 14th, 2007 at 11:54 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  4. #18
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,673
    Quote Originally Posted by stickybeatz View Post
    Being a young male in a public park after dark with a mag-lite does not equal probable cause. Sounds like you were just bullied around by a bored jerk on a power trip
    Quote Originally Posted by ibez View Post
    true
    Ummm no, not true. No arrest was made, so no PC was needed; only reasonable suspicion. The OP already stated that he understood that they did look a little suspicious.
    Just to make sure we are covered here, PC did exist too. He was in the park after dark... thatís apparently illegal in Bellevue.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  5. #19
    Senior Member Array itschuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    Same way it is here. Drugs are an extremely bad problem in my neighborhood. I would rather have hyper-aggressive cops than being over run with crackheads and pimps and drug dealers. Heck... if it was my way.. just kill em all. Their just wasting away, making my property value go down.


    If its all within reach of the driver ... its a FELONY!

    In kentucky its legal to have a loaded pistol in your glovebox and obligatory to have a shotgun in a gun rack in your truck..and always be careful what you post, ya never know if could come back to haunt you

  6. #20
    Member Array Bonesnofoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    201
    That would burn me a little, especially if i knew i hadn't intentionally done anything illegal. No charges were brought is what really matters.

  7. #21
    VIP Member Array sgtD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,292
    It's not a felony to carry a gun in your car everywhere.

    In FL you can carry a loaded gun as long as it's (two moves) in a holster, in the glovebox.

    In KS, state statute says it is not illegal to have an unloaded gun in the vehicle.

    Things are different in the west and south than they are in the North, where in some states having a gun in the car is a felony. I wouldn't want to be living in a state like that.

    I would expect washington to be pretty similar to other western states, even though it seems to be moving more toward Califonia liberalism. Just check your state law (you should have before)
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

  8. #22
    Senior Member Array Pete Zaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    737
    I won't waste anyone's time with a lengthy reply here.

    My only purpose of this thread was to share an experience I had that I found to be a rather unusual one, and to point out the morals of the story - think through things (situational awareness would have helped here, such as not being in the park after dark), avoid LEO encounters whenever possible (it wastes their time and yours), expect the unexpected, and know your laws well. I didn't mean to come across as "a whiny kid" and I apologize to anyone that got that impression. I'll leave these forums alone for awhile.

    Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

  9. #23
    VIP Member
    Array ppkheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    4,076
    Thanks for posting your experience, and feel free to continue to do so. Don't worry about your "bad encounter" with the leo's.....a group of young guys in their 20's will likely be treated differently by leo than a group of old guys in their 70's......that's just the way life works.
    Regarding your story, I really don't have any comments; had I actually been there and seen both sides I'd be happy to state my opinion.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

  10. #24
    Senior Member
    Array StevePVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    It's not a felony to carry a gun in your car everywhere.

    In FL you can carry a loaded gun as long as it's (two moves) in a holster, in the glovebox.

    In KS, state statute says it is not illegal to have an unloaded gun in the vehicle.

    Things are different in the west and south than they are in the North, where in some states having a gun in the car is a felony. I wouldn't want to be living in a state like that.

    I would expect washington to be pretty similar to other western states, even though it seems to be moving more toward Califonia liberalism. Just check your state law (you should have before)

    Off topic from OP, but wanted to clear something up. Holster in a glove compartment not needed. The FL requirement for carrying a handgun in the car (with or without a CWP) is that it must be securely encased. Examples of securely encased are:

    . In a snapped holster - anywhere - loaded or unloaded
    . In a closed console - loaded or unloaded
    . In a closed glove compartment - loaded or unloaded
    . In a zippered gun case -- loaded or unloaded.

    The source for this info is Jon Gutmacher's "Florida Firearms Law, USe & Ownership". Much easier to read and understand than the statutes.

  11. #25
    Member Array state6three8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    101
    Pete,

    Relax you're okay carrying in your car, unloaded. It could be on your lap, unloaded and you would be okay (you're going to or coming back from a range right?). Not the smartest thing upon approach of an LEO (you may get a barrel in your ear) but legal here in WA. Two laws... 9.41.050 and 9.41.270 are two you should look at.

    These other guys are talking about other states, not WA.

    As far as the BPD officer is concerned... He could have handled it differently, that's for sure. But all in all, he was being proactive in trying to find a crime, in which you yourself recognized looked like suspicious activity. I would have called at least two more troopers in that same scenario. LEO's have a lot of authority to detain, frisk and investigate when it comes to officer safety. They must have reasonable and articulable facts to justify their actions but that's an easy burden to bare. Yes, a gun would have probably made the situation a lot more tense for everyone. But when you get your CPL... it would have been a good time to advise the officer ahead of time that you are legally carrying a concealed pistol.

    For me and all the other guys/galls I work with, when someone advises they're carrying legally (permit) we know/hope/expect we are dealing with a law abiding citizen, who doesn't want to put that permit in jeopardy.

  12. #26
    Senior Member Array ridurall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Oklahoma
    Posts
    760
    I spent 2 years in Washington State while I was stationed at McCord AFB. I dearly loved it and I got my first CCW there is 1979 and it cost me $5.00 and took 9 weeks. They had it together back then.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

  13. #27
    Senior Member Array Pete Zaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by state6three8 View Post
    Pete,

    Relax you're okay carrying in your car, unloaded. It could be on your lap, unloaded and you would be okay (you're going to or coming back from a range right?). Not the smartest thing upon approach of an LEO (you may get a barrel in your ear) but legal here in WA. Two laws... 9.41.050 and 9.41.270 are two you should look at.

    These other guys are talking about other states, not WA.

    As far as the BPD officer is concerned... He could have handled it differently, that's for sure. But all in all, he was being proactive in trying to find a crime, in which you yourself recognized looked like suspicious activity. I would have called at least two more troopers in that same scenario. LEO's have a lot of authority to detain, frisk and investigate when it comes to officer safety. They must have reasonable and articulable facts to justify their actions but that's an easy burden to bare. Yes, a gun would have probably made the situation a lot more tense for everyone. But when you get your CPL... it would have been a good time to advise the officer ahead of time that you are legally carrying a concealed pistol.

    For me and all the other guys/galls I work with, when someone advises they're carrying legally (permit) we know/hope/expect we are dealing with a law abiding citizen, who doesn't want to put that permit in jeopardy.
    I thank you very much for your lengthy response and good information.
    I was pretty sure, as I had read the laws, there was nothing on the books against having an unloaded weapon in one's vehicle, thank you for confirming that and citing the specific laws.
    I agree, the officer could have handled the situation better, but looking back, I'm sure he was doing what he thought was the best course of action for everyone involved - even if he came across as a jackass at the time. Three patrol cars and five officers for some young dudes loitering in a park after dark does seem a bit excessive though... but no harm, no foul.
    Looking forward to getting my CCL in the mail soon so I can go holster shopping, lol.

    I've always figured if I have an LEO encounter of any type (Traffic stop, etc...) while I'm legally carrying, I'd hand over my permit along with my ID when asked, I'd assume the officer would at that point know I was legally armed. Good plan?

    Thanks again for the info.

    Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

  14. #28
    Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    1,644
    Parks seem to really be off limits after they close. I too have been asked to leave a few after dark (usually with a girl!) It does look like the LEO's treated you a little harshly, but I think they were right to question what you were doing and perceive you as a threat.

    If I saw you in the park outside my house, meeting with your buddies, that late at night, I would call the sheriff office and let them know. (not 911 as its not an emergency)
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

  15. #29
    Member Array golfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    259
    Pete, you got roughed up a little by the LEO's. I think you understand why so that doesn't need more discussion.
    Thanks for sharing the experience with us. Like you, I think there are places where you really don't want to meet Leo's and unfortunatly you picked one.
    At least for me, the lesson is to be straight forward, answeer the questions and profit by the education.
    Frankly, I am kind of disapointed by some of the replys here as it seems they are really getting down on you.
    Frankly, even though it might be leagle, that encounter may not have been the best location to have an unloaded gun anywhere in you car.
    Best to ya.

  16. #30
    Senior Member Array Pete Zaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    Pete, you got roughed up a little by the LEO's. I think you understand why so that doesn't need more discussion.
    Thanks for sharing the experience with us. Like you, I think there are places where you really don't want to meet Leo's and unfortunatly you picked one.
    At least for me, the lesson is to be straight forward, answeer the questions and profit by the education.
    Frankly, I am kind of disapointed by some of the replys here as it seems they are really getting down on you.
    Frankly, even though it might be leagle, that encounter may not have been the best location to have an unloaded gun anywhere in you car.
    Best to ya.
    I agree - wrong place, wrong time, lesson learned, won't repeat.

    FYI, I didn't have a weapon in my vehicle at the time - but even then, my car was two blocks away. I've only carried in my car when I'm going downtown after dark or etc... and probably won't bother to do so again until I have my permit in a few weeks (and then it will be on my hip, not in a case).

    Thanks for the comment.

    Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. this in nice
    By EBC in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 19th, 2009, 12:47 AM
  2. Nice
    By CT-Mike in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: September 23rd, 2009, 10:13 PM
  3. Got a nice hat, but...
    By Hammertramp in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: April 24th, 2007, 09:53 PM
  4. Nice to be here!
    By Julie in forum New Members Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: September 19th, 2006, 09:56 PM

Search tags for this page

leos are so nice

,

leos so nice

Click on a term to search for related topics.