Traffic officers (not gun related). A question, please?

This is a discussion on Traffic officers (not gun related). A question, please? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Any traffic officers here? If so, I have a question. Earlier tonight I was leaving a local mall. I was trying to pull out going ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traffic officers (not gun related). A question, please?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Traffic officers (not gun related). A question, please?

Any traffic officers here? If so, I have a question. Earlier tonight I was leaving a local mall. I was trying to pull out going left on a four-lane highway with a median in the center. Well, the traffic cleared on my side, so I pulled out to the middle turning point to wait for an opening in the other direction. As I got to the middle, a car was coming and suddenly swerved. As he did so, the driver lost control and slid across the median onto the other side of the road.

I wasn't sure what had happened. I didn't know if someone in the lane next to him had spooked him or what. It occurred to me later that he may have thought that I was "going for it" when I pulled to the middle and was swerving to avoid me. So, just to be safe and do the right thing, I called the local Police dispatch office. I was told that no accident was reported on that road this evening. I also expressed my concern that I might have "left the scene of an accident," even though I don't think I caused his accident. He patched me through to an officer. She said I *should* be okay, but gave me a number to the Hit-and-Run office and said that I should call Monday morning and report it and that this would cover me.

Cliffnotes:

Pulled to center lane.
    Car coming in that nearest lane swerved, lost control, went across median (no other vehicles involved).
    Occurred to me later that he might have thought I was entering his lane (I wasn't).
    Called Police. No accident reported. Was told to call Hit-and-Run office Monday to give story.

Should I be worried?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'm not a traffic officer, but I used to be one. No, dont worry about it. If the vehicle did not strike yours, you're good to go.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm not a traffic officer, but I used to be one. No, dont worry about it. If the vehicle did not strike yours, you're good to go.
    Thank you very much! I tend to get a bit paranoid at times. I think I'll still call it in on Monday just in case. The reason I called about it in the first place is because *if* the guy swerved on my account, I was going to offer to help him financially with any car repairs, like maybe an alignment or whatnot. I knew that my insurance wouldn't help him since I wasn't involved.

-miklcolt45

Administrator
    Thats mighty nice of you to do so, but I wouldnt feel guilty about that. It also would admit wrong doing on your part, and open yourself to all kinds of legal troubles.
    If you did cause the accident, thats a different story... but as I understand your account, you are not at fault.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thats mighty nice of you to do so, but I wouldnt feel guilty about that. It also would admit wrong doing on your part, and open yourself to all kinds of legal troubles.
    If you did cause the accident, thats a different story... but as I understand your account, you are not at fault.
    Good point. And besides, the dispatch guy said that the accident wasn't reported, anyway. It looked pretty minor as he just basically slid across the median (about 5-6 inches high). So should I also refrain from calling it in on Monday?

-miklcolt45

Administrator
    I wouldnt.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Mini rant You were improperly using the center turn lane(at least in my state) . Doing so can easily cause an accident, as other drivers are unsure where you are going. I know its difficult to do, but be patient and wait for an opening. Thanks.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    How so? Its not the way I read the story, but maybe I'm looking at it wrong.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Texas law allows for the use on the middle turn lane. Based on the information that you recounted, you are not the cause. It looks like the mistake was fully on the driver 2. Though I agree that it may open yourself up to liability if you call in and the driver wants someone to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Mini rant You were improperly using the center turn lane(at least in my state) . Doing so can easily cause an accident, as other drivers are unsure where you are going. I know its difficult to do, but be patient and wait for an opening. Thanks.
    It isn't a center turn lane. It's just an opening between the medians for turning into or out of the mall. I've seen people do it my entire life.

-miklcolt45

Lead Moderator
    sorry, my bad.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    sorry, my bad.
    But it still feels good to rant, so rant on Rocky, rant on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

When I called the Police dispatch office (this was a couple of hours after the fact), I was told that there was no accident reported. The guy slid across the median and I seriously doubt that it did any damage except for maybe knocking his alignment out.

But when I called in, the guy took my name and number. That's why I'm thinking that I should call it in tomorrow morning just to be 100% safe.

Am I wrong in my thinking?

-miklcolt45

Lead Moderator
    But it still feels good to rant, so rant on Rocky, rant on.
    Yes it does feel good. Stress at work lately has me in a bad mood.

XD-Well , they have your name and #. don't call them, if they need to they will call you.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    I wouldnt say wrong, but I do think you are worried about nothing. They will call you if your needed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links