LEO Out of State carry

This is a discussion on LEO Out of State carry within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has any LEO carried out side of their home state now that any LEO can carry in evey state? Have you had any problems? Any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEO Out of State carry

LEO Out of State carry

Has any LEO carried out side of their home state now that any LEO can carry in evey state? Have you had any problems? Any place you dont carry?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I havent, but I now carry federal creds. However, the City of New York was and is still harassing LEOs from outside their area, but "detaining" their weapons and in some cases the officer, till it can be "proven" that their credentials are legit. This has in previous cases taken several days. I'd be careful up there.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Administrator
    I havent had any problems with NYPD... they even bent over backwards to find me a parking space.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    SIXTO you country bumpkin, them yankees didnt know what to do when you showed up in them there hills, LOL. Watch your six bro we know them Okla hills do have bad guys.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I have been through 10 states while carrying under the badge. No one even knew that I was carrying... so it wasn't an issue. That's the way it should be... right?

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    No problems in 30 or so of the 50. Great hospitality from both DC Metro and NYPD!
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Administrator
    Ha! I got a funny story about DC metro... I was a few years younger, and lost as I've ever been it about the worse neighborhood I've ever seen. I am not ashamed to admit I was scared.

I spotted a DC officer parked in a Shell parking lot, and one would have thought I found Jesus himself. I was never happier to find another cop. So, I stopped to ask the officer for help. Before I got one word out he said "Boy, dont even say anything, get your white behind back in that truck and follow me to the expressway" At that point I told him I was an officer, etc. He asked if I was carrying, I of course was...but was expecting him to give me a hard time over it. I told him I was, and he said "Good but it aint big enough and doesnt have enough shots, you need to get out of here"
    I said sure, thats my goal, but how did you know what I wanted before I even said hello? He says "A white boy in this 'hood at 2am is lost or dead. You look alive to me I aim at keeping you that way, lets go."

Ever since then, I've had a healthy respect for DC metro even with all the bad press they have had.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I work reserve for a local agency (use to be full time) and I carry outside of Texas and have never had a problem. Though I do also have a CHL to go with the badge.

If you're a LE visiting Mass and you want to CC, you must have a letter from your Department authorizing ( stating must be for official LE duties )

Quote Originally Posted by ibez View Post
    If you're a LE visiting Mass and you want to CC, you must have a letter from your Department authorizing ( stating must be for official LE duties )
    Sorry, but you're wrong on this one. If you are Law Enforcement you can carry under your badge or credentials in all fifty states. It's called LEOSA, (Law Enforcement Officer's Safety Act). It's a fairly new law, only been in effect since 2004.

What you have to do is follow the local jurisdictions laws regarding magazine capacity, ammunition type (No Hollowpoints in NJ), and off limits government property as well as "Posted" private property. Other than that you can carry nationwide. If Mass doesn't like it, tough. It's Federal Law and we all know that Federal Law "trumps" State Law.

Take care and stay safe. BTW, I carry under LEOSA and it's not been a problem, but I haven't been to Mass yet. I am planning to go to Hawaii though.

Biker

No issues here,..... NYPD was very accomodating,.. NYSP was the same way as was the PASP. Usually your demeanor dictates how much scrutiny you get.

VIP Member
    I also carry Fed creds, but have had no problems from any local/state jurisdictions. NYPD was wonderful, DC metro is so used to seeing feds that they don't even blink. I'd be interested to see MA or NJ hassle me about my mag capacity/use of HPs, because I am not allowed by agency reg to use different mags or non-issue ammo (and obviously our issue ammo is HPs).

My only issue so far have been at MCO (Orlando airport), where I was given a small hassle because the signature of my agency director had faded so badly on my creds that you could hardly see it - the LEO asked me who my director was! I laughed, because the man who signed my creds was two directors ago...I explained it, he looked a little closer, and all was well.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ibez View Post
    WRONG!!!

The following has been in MGLs for at least 25 years and probably a lot longer. Mas Ayoob is the first person who "clued me in" on this law in a one-on-one discussion at the first official AWARE event (he was Nancy Bittle's guest speaker).

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131g.htm

Chapter 140: Section 131G. Carrying of firearms by non-residents; conditions

Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.
    Says nothing about being a duty weapon, being on duty, etc. This is LONG BEFORE LEOSA was even more than a dream.

Also, LEOs are specifically exempt from our idiotic mag-ban, so carry your hi-caps with impunity. MA has no restrictions on ammo either.

Regardless, unless the visiting officer is acting like an idiot, I don't know of any LEOs who would hassle him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Regardless, unless the visiting officer is acting like an idiot, I don't know of any LEOs who would hassle him/her.
    Generall they dont ( hassle them )

But IIRC on masscops.com forum, some LEO that said their weapons was "withheld" at the airport and was told they would get them back when they're leaving Mass... othet LE on the forum had suggest visiting LE don't even bring their weapons to avoid aggrivations

( maybe the Homeland Security/TSA has different policy or restrictions , I may be wrong or those LE on that forum maybe wrong ... as usual, everything in MASS is a gamble ....)

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I don't want to even discuss TSA! I'd get banned here for what I think of them.

When you land, you pick up your bags off the carousel and go, nobody at Logan even cares if you steal someone else's bags. So the story sounds very suspicious to me.

If anyone tried that stuff , the visiting officer should demand to talk with a MSP Supervisor at the airport. I suspect that would end any such BS.

Also, any visiting officer should always go "prepared", with a copy of TSA Regs, MGL that is pertinent (print out from state URL that I posted above), etc. Most officers in MA are not up to speed on firearms laws at all. I'll save the stories, but I worked as a Reserve PO for 17 years, graduated the MCJTC R/I Academy, have taken numerous MCJTC/MPTC courses with FT POs, etc. and have seen it up close and personal.

Masscops.com has some serious "loose cannons" on-board. After having a discussion with the board owner and a respected moderator there the second time, I told them I was leaving permanently and haven't been back (2-3 years now). [Incidents were not targeted at me personally, but one MSP Trooper was attacking other LEOs who were other than MA Municipal or MSP Troopers (one was a Fed LEO that he attacked, others were Sheriffs Deputies and Constables), and management wouldn't do anything about it.]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links