Ah, the Air Force...

This is a discussion on Ah, the Air Force... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Herknav What's that on her left collar? It sure doesn't look like a col's bird... You know those pesky cameramen and their ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ah, the Air Force...

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    What's that on her left collar? It sure doesn't look like a col's bird...
    You know those pesky cameramen and their sense of timing. Perhaps a full bird flew overhead.

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

I know y'all just love to pound on the USAF with our hands in our pockets. I will say that where I did much of my time they claimed we were not in the arctic and so would not issue us arctic gear. Well at 40 below with a 65 below wind chill we had two options. Stick our hands in our pockets or lose fingers to frostbite.

Of course if we'd ever had to fulfill our mission, which service you were in wouldn't have mattered because most of the world would have been dead........
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

That Chief has to be Guard. He is too old to be active duty. The hats with TEC stands for Technical Education College and I don't remember anything about them when I was active duty. The old gal is a bird Col. though and I bet she has got something to do with the medical services, if I was to make a guess. Several of the guys are wearing flight status wings. I doubt the patches have anything to do with Red Horse Squadrons. As the Air Force goes they are one of the closest to the real service folks as you will get with the exception of forward air controllers. At least that is my 13 year retired from the air force opinion. Quite a mixed bag of Air Force personnal though. Usually you don't see that much at retreat.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I downloaded the pic and discovered it had a caption. Here it is: "McGhee Tyson Airport TN - The director of the Air National Guard, Lieutenant General Craig McKinley hosts a Business and Industry conference 25-27 April 07. The conference has employers from around the United States meeting with Employers Support for the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) members along with the leadership of the Air National Guard to familiarize and thank the employers for supporting Guard men and women during the Global War on terror. (Air National Guard photo by MSgt Shaun Withers)"

yup Guard and Reserve people. The Lady had a cell phone in her pocket ringing and couldn't remember which pocket it was to turn it off.
    Last edited by JD; December 23rd, 2007 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Removed language violation.

hats with TEC stands for Technical Education College and I don't remember anything about them when I was active duty.
    Actually TEC stands for the I.G. Brown Training and Education Center at McGhee Tyson ANG Base at Alcoa, TN. That's the location of the Academy of Military Science and NCO school.
    If the female Col is in the medics she's not wearing the medical function badge.
    The 134th use to be a pretty high speed unit. Don't know about lately as I haven't been thru there in better than 15 yrs. It's a refueling wing and had KC-135. During GWI the commander of the 134th was in charge of all air refueling operations during the war. They were constantly on deployment somewhere.

I'm just glad they were not active duty. Kind of sets off my hinky button. The more that picture goes around the I think that the full bull's time in the reserve gets shorter. Makes me think of all the times I had to weigh in with someone looking over my shoulder to make sure I didn't cheat. It still bugs me to weigh and have someone look at the scale.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

As an Airman lots of things about that picture bug me. Lots.

If I ever caught one of MY troops doing or looking like that there would be some major adjustments. But what gets me most is that she will be passed around as an example of the Air Force.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    I don't know where those guys are stationed but I'll bet they got "debriefed" concening the photo afterwards. Notice the enlisted in the background are "within standards".
    And you know what, that is one of the things that really galls me.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    ... Come to think of it...I dont know what pose that guidon bearer is using but he sure aint standing at ATTENTION.
    I'm going to expose my ignorance (I've never been a guidon bearer or really paid much attention to one -I was too busy marching myself) but what's wrong with the way the First Shirt is standing?

I'm going to shut up now before I get myself in trouble.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

THE AIR NATIONAL GUARD does an awesome job!!! This picture sucks, but its just a uniform issue with one Idiot. Dont think that we can't fly jets and deliver cargo, bombs, and fuel when needed!!

GO GUARD!!!
    Last edited by Scott; December 24th, 2007 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Take it up via PM please.

Senior Moderator
    I'm going to expose my ignorance (I've never been a guidon bearer or really paid much attention to one -I was too busy marching myself) but what's wrong with the way the First Shirt is standing?

kindof slouching there dont you think? Look at those legs...they arent straight and they arent squared up.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    kindof slouching there dont you think? Look at those legs...they arent straight and they arent squared up.
    It's just because he's in the Guard right? Couldn't be another reason, like he has an injury or anything like that. Couldn't be that maybe he was still getting into position when the 1/250th of a second shutter clicked. Must be because he's in the Guard.

Sorry, I've BTDT with pictures and a bunch of people getting all bent about 1/250th of a second that captured something that was immediately corrected. I've also known some old soldiers who couldn't quite get into the best position of attention. I knew some of them had been badly wounded or injured on duty, but others wouldn't have known that. After all I'm sure everyone here that was in the military did it just perfect all the time. I know I didn't.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Senior Moderator
    It's just because he's in the Guard right?
    Nope.
    I could care less what he's in actually. I have nothing but the highest regard for the "guard". It matters not to me. We all bleed the same color for the same flag.

It does remind me of a time many moons ago when I was in exactly the same postition...after standing there for over an hour. I got my tail tore smooth up over it when a Captain (Navy Captain,same rank as a Colonel) happened to notice it.

Were you in the Guard?
    Bein a bit sensitive there ain't ya ?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    In actuality, he is most likely bending his knees to keep the circulation going. Its what is recommended for lengthy change of commands to preclude someone from losing their front teeth.

I'd take a chill pill...please don't slam or slime the Guard, or make distinctions between active and guard, or any service for that matter, because of one out of shape, out of decorum 0-6. Every service...even the Marines...have them, guranteed. They serve our country...something that 99% of the country does not. I think she looks very bad, but if someone wants...perhaps we can have a service tatoo contest.:)))

Rick

Senior Moderator
    No doubt about it...pictures can make the most outstanding example look bad.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

And that is why we called it the "Chair" Force when I was in the Navy.

But, my brother was in the Chair Force and he did make one good point. He was an MP but had a buddy from high school who was a Plane Captain. I talked to him once and gave him some guff about the branch of service he was in. His buddy told me that the Air Force was the only branch that did it right. When I asked what he meant he said, and I quote, "We enlisted guys stay way back behind the lines and the officers go and get shot at. And worst case scenario, if my pilot gets shot down, they just give me a new one."

That did make a good bit of sense to me also being of the enlisted persuasion.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links