Ah, the Air Force...

This is a discussion on Ah, the Air Force... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OMG that is too funny. It doesn't surprise me at all though. I was AD Army right after HS in the 90s, and remember them ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ah, the Air Force...

EW3
    OMG that is too funny. It doesn't surprise me at all though. I was AD Army right after HS in the 90s, and remember them being so anal retentive at formations about uniforms, boots, sleeves up/down, etc.

Now that I'm in the ANG, I see stuff like this all the time. It almost seems like a tradition or something to have a mix of headgear, sleeves and stuff like that at formations. I was at a change of command ceremony back in October, and it was freezing cold and windy; half of the troops didn't even have their Goretex or field jacket on.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

2. Remove Ads

What a mob!!!

At least four of them appear to still be wearing their restricted area badges, too!

"And that is why we called it the "Chair" Force when I was in the Navy."

I retired after 23 years in the Air Force; seven of those years were spent on Navy bases. One of my favorite examples of the Navy being so much straighter than us happened at a quarterly Captain's inspection on Corry Field.

One of my fellow instructors, a Petty Officer First Class, was supposed to march a formation from the schoolhouse to the football field. He proudly accomplished his mission using only one command - "Follow that group, March!"

There was also the day a Navy E-3 asked me what the stripes on my sleeve meant. I told him I was a Staff Sergeant in the Air Force. 'But what's that equivalent to in the Navy?" I resisted the urge to say "Admiral!" and told him I was an E-5. He said, "That's the same as a Second Class." And I told him, "No, in the Air Force no one is second class!!"

All the branches had a lot of fun good-naturedly sniping at each other. Even now I work around active, reserve, former, and retired members from all branches. We all buckle down together and get the job done when it counts. It's still family.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    At least four of them appear to still be wearing their restricted area badges, too!
    There was also the day a Navy E-3 asked me what the stripes on my sleeve meant. I told him I was a Staff Sergeant in the Air Force. 'But what's that equivalent to in the Navy?" I resisted the urge to say "Admiral!" and told him I was an E-5. He said, "That's the same as a Second Class." And I told him, "No, in the Air Force no one is second class!!"
    We all buckle down together and get the job done when it counts. It's still family.

You said it perfectly Woodstock. But I have to disagree, those don't look like line badges, they look more like the badges that the Med Group wears.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Four uniforms, five headgears, and one full-bird Colonel with her hands in her pockets (I guess that's why we used to call them Air Force gloves!)

Just kidding, zoomies, you know we love ya!
    Funny, we called 'em "Army gloves."

Semper Fi,

Merry Christmas everyone.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

That guy who is "slouching" in the picture had some very damaged knees, which were surgically repaired back in Aug. He normally walks with a cane, but I guess he was strong enough to be the guidon barer (spelling?)....

I love it how everyone is making fun of the Air Force and guard, but when crap hits the fan, they call for the good guys in the blue. I dont care how you wear the uniform if you kill the bad guys when time comes. GO GUARD!!

Hopefully, Santa Claus brought somebody a sense of humor.

VIP Member
    Being retired AF I love it....at first I figured she was medical corp but no medical field badges on her uniform!! Probably one of the office type, twinkies in her desk drawer and a diet soda to balance it out! Want to guess who would be the first to jump someone for hands in the pockets or no salute? Just noticed something in the picture. This is not a military formation. If you look in the last row there are 2 people in civilian clothes, that rules it out as a formal formation, making it just a group photo.
    Last edited by archer51; December 29th, 2007 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added info

Ya would think a bird colonel would know better, lots of pride there.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

when I was in the Army - the Air Force had the best looking women in uniform -

I know I married one

but whenever I deployed the Air Force always treated us (Army pukes) first class

Franklin Township, Dekalb County, Indiana
    Sure is a sloppy looking old heifer.

Quote Originally Posted by MR D View Post
    when I was in the Army - the Air Force had the best looking women in uniform -

I know I married one

but whenever I deployed the Air Force always treated us (Army pukes) first class

I agree with you and I also married an Air Force lady. This May 6th we will be married 30 years. We both retired as MSgts.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links