Picking out a duty weapon? - Page 2

Picking out a duty weapon?

This is a discussion on Picking out a duty weapon? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would personally go sig. Brand new they are 739.99 (at least at my store sportsmans warehouse) and most certified pre owned go for 450-600 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picking out a duty weapon?

I would personally go sig. Brand new they are 739.99 (at least at my store sportsmans warehouse) and most certified pre owned go for 450-600 depending on area. We also sell xds for 479.99 for 9mm and .40 but .45 are 520.00. Sigs are also rated for +P and can live on a steady diet of them. I bought my 226 (CPO) for $550 and it had both .40 and .357 sig barrels.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

I would recommend the Glock 22. It is a great gun and .40 ammo is
    pretty affordable. It is simple to use, as there are no "extra" levers
    ( decockers, etc. ) to manipulate. In a confrontation requiring a firearm, simple is good, and the Glock is simple. It has stood the test of time and is carried by over 65% of American law enforcement agencies, including the FBI, US Marshals, & NYPD.

I used to carry the 22C because it was issued to me when I worked in Florida, and while the gun does have some reduced muzzle flip, it is dangerous to use from a "retention" shooting position due to the ports directing gas upwards towards your body. My former agency issued a "reduced flash" duty round, but I found that in low light after
    three rounds I could not see my sights due to the flash coming from
    the ports.

I used to carry a Glock 19 ( 9mm ) off duty. Unfortunately I was involved in a shooting during the course of a carjacking, and while I won't go into details, the 9mm loaded with high performance ammo did not perform as quickly as I felt it should have, given the circumstances as they occurred. I know that the 9mm has performed for others, I am just sharing my experiences.

The Springfield XD is a great gun, until something goes wrong with it. I have heard repeatedly that it is very difficult to get parts for the XD, and that it has to be sent back to the factory for any parts replacement. The M&P has had issues with cracked frames and broken strikers, you can see some pics of this on MP-Pistol.org.

Hope this information helps. Ultimately you have to pick a gun that feels and shoots right for you. Good luck and stay safe!!!!

VIP Member
    Everyone knows I love Sigs, but Glocks generally aren't bothered by +P either, and I don't think XDs and M&Ps are either. And, of course, if you just shoot +Ps you're negating the cost benefits of the 9mm, as well as part of the recoil managment benefits....
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    well i went out and shot the xd40, g22, and g23 today. I'm thinking the G22 just because I have big hands and need the extra little bit of space to put my long fingers. Thanks for all the advice.

PS. I'll eventually buy a sig, but I want it to be brand spankin new.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Administrator
    Good choice on the G22. You will find out it pays off to go with something very common.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Like many others I am a fan of the XD. I carry the 40. I load it with gold dots

Senior Moderator
    The best thing to do is to pick up each gun and shoot it.

You'll then notice what works best for you. If you buy a Glock on someone else's advice, then you shoot a Sig, you might like it better...or vice versa.
    The XD feels different than the Glock, which feels different than the Sig, which feels different than the M&P.

They all have different grips and shoot differently. One may feel better in your hand for some reason than others.

Do yourself a favor and try them first if at all possible. All of them are solid, reliable guns and any of them will serve you well but for one reason or another you will have a favorite.Save your self some money in the future and try them all before making a decision.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I think you are pretty lucky, you get to choose. Most all have to use what ever the department hands you. G22 in my case.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Well sir, I think you are pretty lucky. I'm buying a G22 Dec 26th. yea... i'm one of those guys who waits till after xmas to spoil myself.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    Any reccomendations or advice so I can head to the Gun Club and test em out?
    Or to answer the original title. "Picking out a Duty Gun"

About 70% of Law Enforcement uses Glock I would say staying with the norm is not a bad thing.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links