Picking out a duty weapon?

This is a discussion on Picking out a duty weapon? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Basicly heres the thing. Im getting my armed guard license in Feb. Before then I'd like to have atleast two different firearm classes under my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

Basicly heres the thing. Im getting my armed guard license in Feb. Before then I'd like to have atleast two different firearm classes under my belt by then so I'm not just another dumb security guard with a gun (seems to be TOO many of those already), and of corse I'll contiue my training as I can afford it. I need help picking out a duty weapon under 800 bones so I can take it to said classes and then qualify with it. Im leaning towards Glock/XD for obvious reasons (see: indestructable & reliabilty), but I've never had to pick out a duty gun before. Any reccomendations or advice so I can head to the Gun Club and test em out?
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Cant go wrong with either(glock or XD). I'd say see what fits your hand, pick them up, shoot them,etc.

When I got my XD, I walked into the gun shop and asked them to put a G27 and SAXD40SC on the counter,and walked home with the Springfield.

I personally prefer XD.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

XD9, 40, 45...I like the 9 because less recoil, larger mag capacity...plus it's under $500. Without doubt the best pistol under 500 available(IMHO).
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BerneyG View Post
    XD9, 40, 45...I like the 9 because less recoil, larger mag capacity...plus it's under $500. Without doubt the best pistol under 500 available(IMHO).
    I don't know whose trunk you're getting your XDs out of....around here cheapest I"ve found an XD was 549

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

My CHL instructor sold me mine for $469, might have been b/c of military discount...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Moderator
    You need to check out S&W's new M&P - hard to beat any way you cut it!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I CC a fullsize glock 22... Cant go wrong with 15+1
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

For a hip totter you canít beat a Glock 17 or 19, and of the two for open carry, I would pick the G17. Sure the 40 caliber is larger, but itsí easy to be accurate with a full frame 9 mm.

A good friend of mine had an XD 9mm and after spending a day at the range shooting my G17, side by side his XD he traded his XD in. However, Iíll say hand fit, is more up to the person holding the firearm.

If you do go with the Glock, make sure you get the third generation. While the finger grooves look funny at first, they sure make it easier to get a two hand grip.

Two things:

1: I walked into a Store on Tuesday here in California, home of the tax and gouge me guns prices, and there was an XD9 and XD40 for 459. Also click here and you will see that Bud's GUn Shop has a special on some of their Xd's right now for 439 (delivered price) which I think is a great deal.

2: Tangle is absolutely right, you should look at the M&P. I cannot get a Glock Comfortable in my hand but I love the XD. Our local Sheriff's Office just went to the M&P and they are great too.
    Lex et Libertas ó Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

I would get either the Glock, Springfield or S&W M&P, depending upon which one felt better in my hand and which one shot better.

If I was going to use a "new" gun I would "wring it out' with at least 500 rounds of Duty Ammo, but that's just me. Reliability is most important to me. After that the most important thing is Reliability. Following Reliability is Reliability.

Did I say that Reliability is the most important thing?

Biker

PS: Reliability is the most important thing

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I would get either the Glock, Springfield or S&W M&P, depending upon which one felt better in my hand and which one shot better.

If I was going to use a "new" gun I would "wring it out' with at least 500 rounds of Duty Ammo, but that's just me. Reliability is most important to me. After that the most important thing is Reliability. Following Reliability is Reliability.

Did I say that Reliability is the most important thing?

Biker

PS: Reliability is the most important thing
    Biker,

I'm confused. What characteristic is most important. If you could only pick one of course.....................

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Silence,

Your post made me go look again at the Florida Gun Exchange Flyer

They have several firearms that I think fall into the "Duty Weapon" Category and all of them seem to be very well priced. They include:

1) $50 off all of their XD's which are very well priced.
    2) A Beretta 92FS for 399 or a PX4 Storm for 419
    3) Glock 17 for 459
    4) S&W M&P for 439

I have my favorites on the list but I can tell you that I have seen every one of those models attached to an LEO as an issued duty weapon.

VIP Member
    All of the above (Mid or full sized Glock, XD, or M&P) are certainly suitable choices. I'd also recommend a CPO (certified pre-owned) Sig. The P226 and P228/229 are among the best duty weapons out there, and can be had for close to your price through the CPO program.

I'd recommend a 9mm if you're on a budget and plan on shooting a lot (which it sounds like you do), but that's another personal choice. Let us know what you decide on!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Go with Glock pistols. Check with your local gunsmith and you'll find that Glocks have a much better repair policy than XD pistols do. Getting repair parts, should they be needed, is a long time delay thing for XD pistols where Glocks is much, much quicker.

Also 9mm pistols are more accurate to control because of the lighter recoil than you get from a .40 S&W round. The exception to the rule is when shooting the Glock 22-C pistols. I've carried a G22-C on duty for years and love it. Over all, the best general duty security guard or police pistol is the G17 with its higher capacity mags. You can get 17 round mags, 20 round mags and even Schierer 33 round mags to use in a Glock 17 pistol. Get night sights on your pistol for use at night and in low light areas. Also get one with rails on the underside of the barrel. Later on you might want to mount a compact flashlight or laser on it and the rails will let you do that.

Biker is also right about breaking in the pistol you get with at least 300 to 500 rounds. If you break in your pistol you give the moving metal parts the ability to mesh together better and can check for any weak parts that might fail, break or fall off like the ejector or rear sight.

Also for safety reasons, treat a Glock like it is a revolver: do NOT touch the trigger unless you're going to shoot it. The only mechanical safety on a Glock is on the tip of the trigger. The best safety is the biological one between your ears. Use them both.
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I'd also recommend a CPO (certified pre-owned) Sig. The P226 and P228/229 are among the best duty weapons out there, and can be had for close to your price through the CPO program.
    My CPO P226 was under $600 at my local gun store. Probably cheaper on gunbroker.com. 17+1 flush mags available (from MecGar, I believe).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links