Picking out a Vest

This is a discussion on Picking out a Vest within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So i got the duty gun picked out. Now time for the vest. Didn't even think about it until my GF asked me if i'd ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking out a Vest

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

Picking out a Vest

So i got the duty gun picked out. Now time for the vest. Didn't even think about it until my GF asked me if i'd be wearing a vest. I called up the company and they said "we don't supply them, but we def encourage them". What yall reccomend? Level II, level III? Buy them online or from a shop here in town. Sorry to bother everyone w/ all the duty gear questions, but yall are the experts.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I would buy one locally. Many times the front and back panels can be sized differently based on your build, I've always purchased mine in person, so I could be fitted to my liking. I would recommend the heaviest level you comfortable with after trying them on. Your local shop could also be helpful on what most folks are wearing in your area.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Def. buy local... there is nothing worse than a poor fitting vest. The level 3 is to hot, thick and heavy for me, I prefer a 2 with a tramua plate. The are a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for in a vest. Dont forget the gun and vest etc is tax deductable.
    Last edited by SIXTO; December 21st, 2007 at 09:12 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    When you get measured, be sure to be wearing uniform trousers and a duty belt. Make sure they measure the length both in front and in back, and both standing and sitting. If the front panel is too long, it'll poke uncomfortably into your throat when you sit.

Beyond threat level, you've got at least two more decisions to make.

1. Full wraparound coverage or gaps on the sides? The former offers more protection, obviously, but the downside is that it traps in more heat. If it's too uncomfortable, you might be tempted not to wear it. Remember, any vest that's in your trunk, or draped over your passenger seat, is a threat level ZERO.

2. Permanent or removable carrier? I prefer the removable, because you can take the panels out and wash it. The downside is that the panels can move around a little, or bunch up.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Why thank you Sgt Mac, I didn't even think about the last two. I sweat like a some sort of monster, and in the Phx heat of the summer (dear god pleaseeeee make it a mild summer) I know I'll be hot as heck.

Anyone have any news on the safari land impac st
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Senior Moderator
    You can get exellent vest on Ebay, brand new from Israel. You can have a IIIA thats stops most pistol rounds for around 320 bucks.

I thought I'd take a try at it after some Deputys that I work with bought some and were very happy with them. The newer Level 3A was no thicker than my older 2A supplied by my dept.

They are exellent quality vests and fit better than any other one that I've tried.They are made by the supplier to the Israel army. They have more coverage than American vests do...a lot more Kevlar in them.

Take a look at them. I would'nt get a used vest though.

The IIa's are even cheaper.

Just a sample of them here...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/XXL-BULLETPROOF-...QQcmdZViewItem
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    If money is an issue, the folks at bulletproofme.com have a large selection in stock of slightly used or overstock vests. They give detailed info on taking measurements and seem pretty helpful to work with; their return policy is also good.

Buy in person unless you will have a great return policy. I was an odd fit and it took a special order to find one to fit my build that I was comfortable wearing 24/7

If you value your life, absolutely.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Not to go off topic, but NOW eBay has really ticked me off!

You can't buy anything gun related, but you CAN buy Bullet Proof Vests???? That is the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard of!

Let's make sure that the BG has the opportunity to buy something that may save his life during a crime, rather than the GG being able to buy extra magazines to protect himself with.

Back on topic, I can't help with the vest, but I like some of the suggestions that have been given as far as fitment.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I thought you needed a LEO id to get armor. I know you do at some places, and I thought it was the law. I'm probably wrong.

Senior Moderator
    I thought you needed a LEO id to get armor. I know you do at some places, and I thought it was the law. I'm probably wrong.
    Not unless its in your state law. Most dont require it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    That's cool. I just saw that requirement at a couple of websites and thought it was federal law. Now if only I could convince my wife it is necessary to have one....

Administrator
    Its only a couple of states that have made it illegal to own a vest. Most reputable retailers do require a letterhead and ID to purchase a vest. Security personel qualifys to purchase at most places.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My carry vest is great and as long as it's not too hot works like a charm. I've got the green leather one on the first page. You also might check out the bargains link. It saved me several dollars on mine. It's my usual church carrying outfit and I've never had anyone question me or visibily notice that I'm carrying with it. It also has holsters on both sides, room for extra magazines and flashlights. It's well worth the money. http://www.concealedcarryoutfitters.com/prod05.htm
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links