Police Begin Fingerprinting on Traffic Stops [Green Bay]

This is a discussion on Police Begin Fingerprinting on Traffic Stops [Green Bay] within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As reported by WBAY-TV: Green Bay Police Begin Fingerprinting on Traffic Stops By Sarah Thomsen If you're ticketed by Green Bay police, you'll get more ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

As reported by WBAY-TV:

Green Bay
    Police Begin Fingerprinting on Traffic Stops

By Sarah Thomsen

If you're ticketed by Green Bay police, you'll get more than a fine. You'll get fingerprinted, too. It's a new way police are cracking down on crime.

If you're caught speeding or playing your music too loud, or other crimes for which you might receive a citation, Green Bay police officers will ask for your drivers license and your finger. You'll be fingerprinted right there on the spot. The fingerprint appears right next to the amount of the fine.

Police say it's meant to protect you -- in case the person they're citing isn't who they claim to be. But not everyone is sold on that explanation.

"What we've seen happen for the last couple of years [is] increasing use of false or fraudulent identification documents," Captain Greg Urban said.

Police say they want to prevent the identity theft problem that Milwaukee has, where 13 percent of all violators give a false name.

But in Green Bay, where police say they only average about five cases in a year, drivers we talked with think the new policy is extreme.

"That's going too far," Ken Scherer from Oconto said. "You look at the ID, that's what they're there for. Either it's you or it's not. I don't think that's a valid excuse."

"I would feel uncomfortable but I would do it," Carol Pilgrim of Green Bay said.

Citizens do have the right to say no. "They could say no and not have to worry about getting arrested," defense attorney Jackson Main said. "On the other hand, I'm like everybody else. When a police officer tells me to do something, I'm going to do it whether I have the right to say no or not."

That's exactly why many drivers are uneasy about the fine print in this fingerprinting policy.

Police stress that the prints are just to make sure you are who you claim to be and do not go into any kind of database; they simply stay on the ticket for future reference if the identity is challenged.

The story can be found at; http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?s=2776926

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

What'a wanta bet someone takes this to court?
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Senior Moderator
    What a crock of bull.

Its an experiment to see how much they can get away with.

On the other hand, I'm like everybody else. When a police officer tells me to do something, I'm going to do it whether I have the right to say no or not."
    Of course they will...just lke the good little sheeple they've been trained to be...
    excuse me while I go puke...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

Police say it's meant to protect you -- in case the person they're citing isn't who they claim to be. But not everyone is sold on that explanation.
    too bad many sheeples will believe that

am I the only one that believe we don't need any additional "protection" from our government ?

Administrator
    Its been done for years, nothing new. Granted not everyone was printed, but its been done. I forget where it was, but some local had a box on the cite itself for a thumb print.
    "Just blame Sixto"

YA!! Because who can be against something that protects you? Please turn-in your guns...it's for your safety

"What we've seen happen for the last couple of years [is] increasing use of false or fraudulent identification documents," Captain Greg Urban said.

Police say they want to prevent the identity theft problem that Milwaukee has, where 13 percent of all violators give a false name.
    Ummm......do they have a fake DL with the name? Don't they run Dls when they pull people over? What makes this any different from 5, 10, or 20 years ago?

"That's going too far," Ken Scherer from Oconto said. "You look at the ID, that's what they're there for. Either it's you or it's not. I don't think that's a valid excuse."
    You must be from out of state--please report to your nearest police station for re-education.

"I would feel uncomfortable but I would do it," Carol Pilgrim of Green Bay said.
    Good sheep....

Citizens do have the right to say no. "They could say no and not have to worry about getting arrested," defense attorney Jackson Main said.
    How come they didn't say this up front? Agenda?

"On the other hand, I'm like everybody else. When a police officer tells me to do something, I'm going to do it whether I have the right to say no or not."
    You must be a crappy defense attorney....but a good sheep

Police stress that the prints are just to make sure you are who you claim to be and do not go into any kind of database; they simply stay on the ticket for future reference if the identity is challenged.
    Riiight....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Administrator
    I dont like the idea if the finger printing too, but I'm wondering why everyone is against it. They already have all your information.....
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont like the idea if the finger printing too, but I'm wondering why everyone is against it. They already have all your information.....
    My thoughts as well...I'm assuming if you have a CCW license...you got fingerprinted.

That being said...the argument that they are using it to check if it is really you and crack down on false IDs leaves me pondering 1) what happens if you don't have one on file (such as a 16 year old)...how do they check if it is you, 2) Them running all ticket fingerprints through the computer...that must be costly and tie up megabytes?

Rick

Administrator
    They wont get run through any computer, they would be used for matches down the road, or if there is any question as to who you are. I can see it being a good tool to fight illegals, but I can understand people being a bit afraid of it too. I am.
    "Just blame Sixto"

For anyone that wants to take off their tinfoil hat and listen...
    I have seen what happens when a brother, sister, "friend," or criminal steals your name. Memorizes your birthday and SSN. Then uses it on a traffic stop.
    "But officer, that warrant CAN'T be on me, I've never even BEEN to Podunk, much less got a ticket there." Officer: "Tell it to the judge." I have spent untold hours untangling these messes because there was no print and the signature was not available to compare, plus, how do we know you aren't now INTENTIONALLY changing yours? DO you know what it takes to get a warrant in another jurisdiction dismissed? A simple handwritten note from God himself will not do it. One girl I know that had never even been stopped by the police would have gone to jail on warrants from a place she'd never been but for some very professional and quick work that could not have been done at night or during non-business hours. A guy I know STILL, after nearly 10 years, is having trouble getting his license (despite multiple hours of police assistance) because someone used his identity in a state he has never visited. To me, it's like when they ask for my ID when I use a credit card, I'm HAPPY about it. In my jurisdiction, if the driver has good ID or DL, he won't ask for a print-it's messy and time consuming. It just goes on the back of the officers copy of the cite, not into the Official Big Brother Mk 666 computer. You can't imagine how many people we deal with that have NO identification, NO DL, no NOTHING. You want them to borrow your name out of the trash dumpster or from your mailbox? Not me brother, seen too many folks in jail that shouldn't be there and vice versa over just this issue.
    What Would Gumby Do?

If you have nothing to hide.
    It makes the states job easier. What have you got against helping?

Michael

OK, I'll take the opposing side. A thumb print is not a big deal to me. Heck, many of the banks do that for cashing a check now. I have nothing to hide, and if it proves that I am who I say I am...so what?

It is a protection in the sense of someone else using my lost or stolen ID. It doesn't seem like a big deal to me. It does seem a little silly for a ticket, but one print?

Now if I had to get across the fender, get searched, print all ten, give a urine sample, and have my prostate checked...I'd think THAT to be a little extreme.

Now combine the print with an instant arrest and deportation for illegals...I would say go for it!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm as distrustful of government as the next guy, but I don't think this is a bad idea. It is just too easy for someone to steal your identity, leaving you with a bench warrent when the guilty person doesn't pay the fine or show for court.

This way if it wasn't you, it is easy to prove.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member

Agree with Sixto

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    My initial reaction is, Oh No, not another intrusive bunch of garbage.

But, all of us have willingly given fingerprints in a variety of circumstances: 1) for my employer; 2) for my handgun license and license renewal; 3)for a non-resident license elsewhere; 4) for my driver's license (thumbs from both hands); for my state issued ID--different from DL. So, I am not sure one more will matter to anything.

Putting thumb prints on a ticket could easily prevent big time mix ups and false arrests. So it isn't a useless process.

Now, Sixto asks, "why is everyone against it."

I think the emotional reaction comes from the exponentially increasing intrustions into everyone's life, and anger at the irresponsible use of information in the corporate world--which anger
    transfers to the government, and government officials.

The corporate world and culture have far less concern with abusing those people it deals with than government. In my office (government), we are constantly trained and reminded about privacy issues, confidentiality, not sharing data with folks who have no legal right to it, preventing computer intrusions, and so on. Whatever one might want to say about government, management does at least try to enforce "the rules."

I am absolutely no fan of candidate Ron Paul, but he has correctly pointed out that our "corporatism" is akin to fascism; papers please?

Somehow, deep down, I'd bet the real reason that department is printing has nothing to do with id theft, and everything to do with the fact that an equipment salesman came by and sold them the stuff necessary.

Finally, though I am uneasy about this stuff, if the printing policy catches a few cheats and fugatives, deters some who shouldn't be driving from driving on false documents, then maybe the good will outweigh the bad.

I give this idea a thumbs up, but with some very considerable uneasyness.

In the end, I don't see much difference between obtaining a signature, a photo, or a print. Most of the same goals could be accomplished (preventing confusion and cheating ) by giving each officer a digital camera and having them photo the individual they ticketed.

I'm with SheepDog. I had a problem a few times crossing back into the US from Mexico where I was almost arrested for having a stolen truck. Seems as though the guy with the same license number the previous year had his truck stolen and the Immigration Agents didn't know Indiana is weird and uses the issue date in NCIC. Of course at 2am, the podunkville PD didn't have anyone on duty to tell them what they were doing wrong.

If giving them a fingerprint that they already have multiple copies of will make it easier to clear me of a stolen identity problem, I'm all for it.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links