LEO and former LEOS, this ones for you

LEO and former LEOS, this ones for you

This is a discussion on LEO and former LEOS, this ones for you within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For the LEOs and Former LEOs, are there any "politics" in your former/department that you really don't agree with or disliked ? I took this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEO and former LEOS, this ones for you

Question LEO and former LEOS, this ones for you

For the LEOs and Former LEOs, are there any "politics" in your former/department that you really don't agree with or disliked ?

I took this comment from THR forum
    Most civilians have no idea the regulations their LEO's are under.....

My first haft of my LEO career I couldn't "legally" carry a back up gun. Nor was I issued body armor. At one point they took away our speed loaders and gave us a 12 round bullet holder. Why? Because the politicians thought it "looked better". When I put the first 6 on a speed strip, I was accused of "being to aggressive".

Early in my LEO career, I decided NOT to expect the Dept. to buy what I needed to stay alive. Also if a "rule" was hazardous to my health, then I would break that rule and deal with the consequences later. But I would be alive to deal with it.

Some did not want to take that chance. That's their choice. I made mine.
    are there "restrictions/rules" in your department that involved your safety that you don't agree/disliked with, similarly to the quoted comment ?

Senior Moderator
    are there "restrictions/rules" in your department that involved your safety that you don't agree/disliked with, similarly to the quoted comment
    None.

We can carry whatever we want, we get issued vests, we can carry backups and alot of things are left to our discretion. We arent motivated by the doings of politicians.

About the only thing that I can really gripe about is the fact that scuzballs dont get pounded into the pavement often enough when they really deserve it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Spent 17 years as a PT PO, working occasional shifts/details along with the freebie stuff they expected (working with FT POs, special events, patrolling alone on weekends, etc.).

Even when we qualified for 100% state/fed reimbursement for vests, the dept wouldn't do it.

Current chief implemented a rule that off-duty officers MUST carry their service weapon (Sig 229 or 239) at all times OR anything they got involved in would NOT be considered as "operating as a LEO". He did this a number of years prior to the 1998 gun control act in MA, thus creating major liability for officers. Some that I know/worked with, who carried all the time told me that they would just "look the other way" if they saw a crime in progress off-duty.

Eventually he totally disarmed all the PT POs, took away our arrest powers and told us that he wanted us to work patrol with the FT POs (I politely told him what I thought of that idea). That's when most of us up and quit. [We all were Academy certified, firearms/First Responder certified each year.]

I've been off that job for 11 years now, so no idea what other things have been implemented that would cause heartache.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    During my time and that was a long time ago, we were required to carry a S&W .38 with a 4 inch barrel. No back ups allowed and BP vests were not invented. The weapon had to be carried in the 4 o clock position and you had to wear a coat and tie always. Not really local politics, just a decree from higher up the Federal Totum Pole.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Administrator
    There are plenty out there, some I'll discuss others I wont. I am pretty lucky that my dept. pretty much allows me to do what I want within reason, but many are not like that at all. It seems the larger the dept. the more talking heads they have, and the more stupid policys exist.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Our policy STILL prohibits backup guns.

The former Chief insisted that shotguns be kept in the trunk, and rifles in the gun locker at the station. Visible long guns would be "too aggressive", dontcha know. The current chief had shotgun mounts installed in two cars (out of 7 or 8), and one is a dual shotgun/M4 mount. (Guess which one I drive)

Senior Moderator
    Our policy STILL prohibits backup guns

You've got to be kidding me.

Our Sheriff is considering making it a mandantory thing. Right now its voluntary..but most carry one.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

When I came on, revolvers were king and you had to be on at least one year to request to carry a semi auto. Shotguns were prominantly displayed up frot until a new Chief came in and they went into the trunk because it made the officers appear to be to aggressive and intimidating. He also redid the color scheme on the cruisers to a more " sedate " tone and markings that did not make them to " scary " to the populace.
    That Chief departed and we got a real policeman again and our firearms policies changed. Shotguns back in the front, patrol rifles, and a wide array of semi auto's approved. Body armor was always and still is option but it is supplied by the city. If you work in South Florida, you should wear it as you should anywhere these days.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    None on my job. I'm very fortunate to work for a department that has a Chief that came from the ranks and knows what the worker bees need. He has a great working relationship with the elected officials and they listen to him. Privately owned BUGs, issued rifles, armor are all good to go! Off duty carry is, in writing, "strongly encouraged at all times when permitted by law". I hear horror stories from officers from other departments and thank my lucky stars for the policies that my department has.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

There are a lot of potential security issues that I deal with. No BUG is just one of them.!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    When your LE Policy is POLICY. There does not need to be a reason If its policy you follow it so as not to step into the personal liability pool at the deep end . In my years in i both saw policy and wrote policy , Let me tell you " POLICY" is all about limiting liability, not securing the officers safety . I cannot tell you how many revisions policy handbooks go thro due to the depts attnys telling the writer(s) YOU CANNOT DO THAT !!!! it exposes us ( the .gov entity ) to liability . On some issues one must go with the attnys , on others you dont allow them to review it untill they get the complete manual that has been issued , and then plead incompetence . After all its printed , issued , signed for by the officers , ect.. its now POLICY right ?? LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

The department I worked for had a no BUG policy when I was there (I chose not to follow that rule) but now allows it. Interestingly enough, it is allowed now because one officer's life was saved by his BUG during the time period when carrying a BUG was not allowed. He was fired, sued the dept. and won. The rules were changed to allow it.

Also, each officer was issued 2 sets of cuffs. I bought a third set of my own and put them on my belt after being a pair short on one stop. I was told that I could not carry more than two on my belt as that looked too aggressive and might scare the civilians in the town I worked in. So they got carried in my back pocket.

I am no longer a LEO but do think about getting back into it from time to time. I just don't think I could stand to take the pay cut.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We get to choose everything that we carry. We are allowed to carry whatever we want. The only limitation is that any tasers that we carry, we are required to undergo training first. The best thing is that the dept picks up 100% of costs for supplies for reserves and we get to keep 100% of the gear.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    My Major barked at me during an inspection because I had a spare magazine for my 1911 behind my handcuff case. He stated it "was against uniform regulations." I wondered what he would say to my widow at my funeral.....

I removed it during inspection and put it back on in the parking lot. I had to buy my own body armor (but it wasn't specifically discouraged by Department rules.). Otherwise, we had to qualify with whatever firearm we wanted to carry, on or off duty. So, I had my 1911 as a sidearm and a S&W Mod. 60 on my ankle (w/ speed strip in pocket).
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Those of us that carried 1911's prior to the Glock Wars were grandfathered in. The thing that bothered me most in my later years was all the political correctness required. By the time I retired several years ago, I don't know how ANY enforcement got done well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links