Receiving End Of A10 :) - Page 2

Receiving End Of A10 :)

This is a discussion on Receiving End Of A10 :) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This media item has been removed due to copyright/terms of service violation. Darn it!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Receiving End Of A10 :)

VIP Member
    This media item has been removed due to copyright/terms of service violation.
    Darn it!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Trying to use one aircraft to do all jobs on the battlefield is like trying to use one gun to do everything you use guns for. It might be theoretically possible, but in practice it just doesn't work. The A-10 does tank busting and close in support supremely well. An air superiority fighter like an F-15 does CAP jobs supremely well. The proper tool for the job.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I never saw one in action, but I saw the aftermath in Iraq in late February of 91.

...and at that point, I decided to take back all of the soft, coddled, nancy boy things I had ever said about wing nuts....

(Well, the flight crew members, CCTs and PJs, anyway.....)

LoL

The "Fighter Jocks" say that the A-10 is so slow that it always gets bird strikes from the rear!
    Seen them in training and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that gun!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

I liken the A-10 debate to the 1911 debate; there are many whiz-bang gadgets out there now that claim to be the answer to a non-existent problem, but the real proof is on the battlefield; the A-10 is a relatively slow-flying aircraft that can carry a pile of ordinance and the hardest punch on the battlefield with the 30mm gatling gun, and because it is slow, the pilot probably doesn't miss much on the battlefield. An uncle of mine who was in desert storm 1 and a vietnam veteran told me that the warthog reminded him of the old skyraiders the military used in vietnam; Like the warthog, the plane was considered obsolete because it was a WWII holdover, but had tremendous firepower with its 50 caliber machine guns, and wings loaded with ordinance of every type. Since it was slow, it would concentrate massive firepower very close to the troops - Something my uncle told me was very handy for the ground pounders in battle.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Darn it!
    Try here!!!
    http://www.militaryvideos.net/videos.php?videonum=78

Works for me.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

M2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigsauer View Post
    That's not really the point. F-16 pilot training is not primarily focused on ground attack. With a bit more practice, those Falcon jocks, piloted primarily by reservists nowadays, could just as easily roll in on a tank column and do just as much damage as an A-10, and still be able to carry on a secondary mission of providing CAP coverage that a Thunderbolt would never be deployed to provide. The Falcon is certainly capable of matching an A-10 bullet for bullet and bomb for bomb. The A-10 is a single mission aircraft. The F-16 is multi-mission aircraft. The F-15E Strike Eagle is another example of a multi-mission platform.

Boy, I just realised how ridiculous this is....we'll argue about anything!
    With all due respect, you don't have a friggin' clue! There is no way on God's green earth that a F-16 would ever be as good of a CAS asset as the Hawg! Hell, I work with F-16 drivers who will readily admit that. They do a good job in A2A and even with the WW mission but the Viper does not have the payload capacity, loiter time or the survivability that would allow it to function in the close air support role. And if you really think that a 20mm can do the same damage as the GUA-8 30mm, you gotta quit sniffin' the model airplane glue!

There is a great report titled 'The Warthog - The Best Deal The Air Force Never Wanted' that explains the anamosity towards the A-10 in the USAF. CAS has never been a mission USAF leadership wanted; but my Army brethren swear by it and it is the most feared aircraft in Afghanistan according to Taliban debriefs.

Go Ugly Early!

Cheers! M2

M2
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    I liken the A-10 debate to the 1911 debate; there are many whiz-bang gadgets out there now that claim to be the answer to a non-existent problem, but the real proof is on the battlefield; the A-10 is a relatively slow-flying aircraft that can carry a pile of ordinance and the hardest punch on the battlefield with the 30mm gatling gun, and because it is slow, the pilot probably doesn't miss much on the battlefield. An uncle of mine who was in desert storm 1 and a vietnam veteran told me that the warthog reminded him of the old skyraiders the military used in vietnam; Like the warthog, the plane was considered obsolete because it was a WWII holdover, but had tremendous firepower with its 50 caliber machine guns, and wings loaded with ordinance of every type. Since it was slow, it would concentrate massive firepower very close to the troops - Something my uncle told me was very handy for the ground pounders in battle.

The A-1 Skyraider - A-10 Warthog comparison is not surprising, as it was the former's success in Vietnam that drove the development of the latter.

Cheers! M2

VIP Member
    I've posted this story before, but all this A-10 talk has got me waxing nostalgic...

Once, when I was OPFOR (soldiers playing the “bad guys” for other soldiers to train against) at JRTC (the Joint Readiness Training Center, the premier light/airborne/ranger/SF training facility in the world), my team commandeered a “civilian” pick up truck to get us from point A to point B a little quicker. We had one guy up front with the driver (a civilian role-player), and three of us lying down in the bed of the truck. The plan was to drive a few klicks to an ORP, dismount, and walk the last few klicks to the link-up.

All was going well when we saw an A-10 flying WAYYYY above us, doing a slow pass along the road we were on. Me, being a dirty nasty grunt, flipped "the bird" at the bird while lying in the truck bed. He flew on a ways, and was quickly forgotten. About three minutes later, the A-10 came back, much lower, burning a path straight overhead, popping flares along the way. He passed over us, turned around, and then passed over again. “Oh well,” we though, “good thing this isn’t real or we might be in some trouble.” (The only way for aircraft/indirect fire to get any “kills” on the battlefield was to have an Observer/Controller (OC) or firemarker identify the attack and assess casualties. Since we were alone on the road, in an unmarked “civilian” vehicle, we figured we were pretty safe even if the A-10 had been simulating an attack on us. So, back to enjoying the fact that I wasn’t walking, for a change…

A few minutes later, a HMMWV with USAF marking comes flying up the road behind us. It’s marked as a “non-player” vehicle, meaning it’s not an actual part of the exercise but rather a control/support/admin vehicle. We don’t think too much of this, either, until it comes tearing up behind us, honking. “Uh, oh,” we think, “this might not be good.” So, of course, we try to run. Jumping down a side trail, we dash and dodge for a while, but eventually the pick-up runs out of trail and the HMMWV catches up. An Air Force OC and his partner come out, zapping us all with their “God-guns” to “kill” us. (Bummer – now we have to go to the rear and eat cheeseburgers instead of humping all night to clear a lane for the armored assault in the morning…)

“So,” I ask, “what’s this all about?”

The AF guys says, “You know that A-10 that did a couple of passes over you a while back? Well, he dumped a few hundred rounds of 30mm into this truck, and you guys are all dead. Oh, and the pilot says not to flip him off any more…”
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

CAS has never been a mission USAF leadership wanted; but my Army brethren swear by it and it is the most feared aircraft in Afghanistan according to Taliban debriefs.
    I would counter that the environment that would be seen if we ever have a shooting war with the PRC, or even the DPRK for that matter, will be vastly different than what we have encountered in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In my experience, it has usually been the B-52 and B-1B that are the most damaging in Afghanistan. The A-10 may be the most feared...but my guess that is because the Hog can usually been seen by the target before his demise.

VIP Member
    Speaking as a grunt who has called in a B-1B strike (but only witnessed A-10 strikes), I'll take the A-10. I like being able to see who I'm talking to, and, more importantly, I like them to be able to see me! The B-1B crew was great - they delivered exactly where I wanted...but about 20 seconds too late. Then, they had to di-di, and the bad guys got away. An A-10 would have been able to SEE the target I was directing them to, and would (presumably) have been able to hang around had they missed with the first round.

I'll grant you that the A-10 can't operate in an area where we don't have air superiority. However, I'll argue that we WILL have air superiority in almost every conceivable conflict - thanks to those fighter jocks that seem to think we're taking the piss out of them when we sing the praises of the A-10 for CAS.

The A-10 is built for wars like Afghanistan and Iraq - small, mobile targets, lack of enemy ADA and aircraft, intermixed friendlies, enemies, and civilians, etc. It's a phenomenal platform for THESE wars, and right now these wars are all we've got!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

A very convincing argument. Especially, as you pointed out, when it comes to redirected, time-sensitive engagements that the A-10 can pull off which the B-1 and B-52 would have trouble achieving.

VIP Member
    I'll have to dig up the BDA pics I took of that B-1B stike... A 2,000 lb JDAM makes a BIG hole in snow-covered mountansides!

VIP Member
    Do they make a concealable version of the 30mm cannon??? No?? Damn!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links