Receiving End Of A10 :)

This is a discussion on Receiving End Of A10 :) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0b5_1199370899 HOLY MOMMY!...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Receiving End Of A10 :)

Receiving End Of A10 :)

"...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

2. Remove Ads

Serious stuff...could make a great perimeter device around the property...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    A10's put large holes in everything. I have seen old ACP's turned into green swiss cheese from a few runs.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

well that would certainly ruin my day. I am glad those fellows were ok.

I've been down at the Barry Goldwater range when the A-10's are firing, even when you know it's coming you still jump. What always got me was how you could feel it in your chest when you were a little "too" close when they fired.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

BAC
    Still my favorite thing flying. Glad the (Brits? Aussies?) were OK in the end though. Think it was their plane or ours?

-B

Thats ours. We didnt let the A-10 get into other countries hands.

BAC
    Thought so. And to think there was so much talk years ago about grounding the plane. Ha.

-B

"And to think there was so much talk years ago about grounding the plane. Ha."

The AF wheels did not want the plane to begin with, it was forced on the AF by congress. Even after the Gulf War the AF continued to claim that the F-16 could do the job.

"September 27, 2004: The U.S. A-10 “Warthog” ground attack aircraft has flown more combat missions in Iraq than any other American warplane. The U.S. Air Force has never really wanted the A-10, but has been forced to keep it because, every time a war comes around, it’s the A-10 that has the most work to do. While the air force won’t spend any money to build a replacement for the A-10, it is under a great deal of pressure (from the army, Congress, and the small A-10 community in the air force) to upgrade about 200 of the 350 they still have (although most are in the National Guard, or in storage.)"

Kind of off topic, but...

While the A-10 Thunderbolt II is definitely capable of putting a huge hurt on the enemy ground targets, it is and has always been a difficult asset to employ properly. It lacks the speed and multi-role capability that is necessary for engaging an enemy even slightly better equipped than say, for instance, the Iraqis. While it is the devil incarnate against soft and semi-hardened ground targets, it would be toast if it encounters any kind of air interceptor sent out to deal with them. But the biggest worry of an A-10 pilot is a soldier equipped with the shoulder launched SA-16 or SA-18 SAM. The Air Force had it right when they insisted the F-16 could do everything the A-10 can do, plus a whole bunch extra. Look at the success the Israelis have had with the F-16.
    Last edited by Creature; January 5th, 2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling edit

Administrator
    The A-10 is certainly full of some old school whooping. In the Army, we called it the flying can of whoop a$%.
    I've never seen it in combat, but have been present for several demonstrations. It is one bad plane.
    "Just blame Sixto"

"The Air Force had it right when they insisted the F-16 could do everything the A-10 can do, plus a whole bunch extra. Look at the success the Israelis have had with the F-16."

With all due respect, I scored strafing runs and bomb drops on a USAF range in 02, 03 and 04. Most F-16 pilots cannot hit anywhere near a target with unguided bombs or 20mm bullets. Navy and USMC pilots are another matter-these guys are deadly accurate with the F-18.

Yes, the Israelis have done some good bombing with the F-16: However, little or none of it has been in support of ground troops.

With all due respect, I scored strafing runs and bomb drops on a USAF range in 02, 03 and 04. Most F-16 pilots cannot hit anywhere near a target with unguided bombs or 20mm bullets. Navy and USMC pilots are another matter-these guys are deadly accurate with the F-18.
    That's not really the point. F-16 pilot training is not primarily focused on ground attack. With a bit more practice, those Falcon jocks, piloted primarily by reservists nowadays, could just as easily roll in on a tank column and do just as much damage as an A-10, and still be able to carry on a secondary mission of providing CAP coverage that a Thunderbolt would never be deployed to provide. The Falcon is certainly capable of matching an A-10 bullet for bullet and bomb for bomb. The A-10 is a single mission aircraft. The F-16 is multi-mission aircraft. The F-15E Strike Eagle is another example of a multi-mission platform.

Boy, I just realised how ridiculous this is....we'll argue about anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Sigsauer View Post
    . The Air Force had it right when they insisted the F-16 could do everything the A-10 can do, plus a whole bunch extra.
    Like getting the pilot back safely after having an engine blown apart?
    Might be a bit challenging for a single engine aircraft don't you think?

Just stirring the pot a bit!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I dont think you really understand what type of mission loads those vipers go out with. They are armed for either air to air or a specific ground attack mission. If needed they can drop their load and bug out fast, but they are not armed sufficiently to take on a group of bad fast movers. They can do multiple missions types, thats what makes them awesome. I love the viper, worked on them for 6 years.

Of course the A-10 wont be sent out on a CAP mission. Its never been designed to do that. The F-15e wont ever be sent out on a air to air mission either. These aircraft are designed specifically to kill people and blow up things on the ground.

The viper will never match the Hawg in CAS. Its just too fast with not enough gas to hang around and see whats going on. Just ask the guys on the ground....the majority of air support calls specifically ask for the A-10. I love the viper, but I like the hawg more. Im a tad biased.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links