Why attack an army base?

This is a discussion on Why attack an army base? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by azchevy It already happened and I showed you where they caught someone. You must have your head in the sand if you ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why attack an army base?

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    It already happened and I showed you where they caught someone. You must have your head in the sand if you think there aren't others.

I am just a realist. Do you really believe they catch EVERYONE? God even our countries biggest most precious secret was sold out by the Rosenburgs.
    I think you need to do more research on the Rosenburg passing of nuc secrets...

A realist or paranoid? I believe that there will always be traitors (even the CIA), but do not believe that it is prevelant has you insinuate (my perception).

Rick

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Shotdown View Post
    OPSEC anyone?
    i'd love some but the CG won't let me carry on post and jefferson county is like minded for the rest of new york.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

I would also point out the video of on post information - although the regulations were what I was referring to.

I have alot of confidence in the military, I will be commissioned this summer as a matter of fact after serving half a decade enlisted. But if soldiers are on post and are basically unarmed due to regulations then it poses a scary sitation folks, that's all I am saying.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I think you need to do more research on the Rosenburg passing of nuc secrets...

A realist or paranoid? I believe that there will always be traitors (even the CIA), but do not believe that it is prevelant has you insinuate (my perception).

Rick
    You are right rick they were executed for nothing. Innocent I tell ya. What a paranoid person I am

Lead Moderator
    keep on topic , please.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

To keep it on topic, and address the ludicrous statement that nobody in their right mind would attack and army base becuase it isn't a viable target:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18549005/

MOUNT LAUREL, N.J. - Six foreign-born Muslims were arrested and accused Tuesday of plotting to attack the Army's Fort Dix and massacre scores of U.S. soldiers — a plot the FBI says was foiled when the men took a video of themselves firing assault weapons to a store to have the footage put onto a DVD.

in this case they used an outside source to case the dormitories

The defendants, all men in their 20s from the former Yugoslavia and the Middle East, include a pizza deliveryman suspected of using his job to scout out the military base.
    "We had a group that was forming a platoon to take on an army. They identified their target, they did their reconnaissance. They had maps. And they were in the process of buying weapons. Luckily, we were able to stop that."
    but then again i am just paranoid

Their goal was "to kill as many American soldiers as possible" in attacks with mortars, rocket-propelled grenades and guns, prosecutors said.
    In addition to plotting the attack on Fort Dix, the defendants spoke of attacking a Navy installation in Philadelphia during the annual Army-Navy football game, and conducted surveillance at other military installations in the region, prosecutors said.

I hope it isn't pointed out that this is a year old

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    ...but then again i am just paranoid
    I'm sorry azchevy...I missed the soldier traitor in these links...

Hummm....don't seem to remember saying that it wasn't possible...just a realist that al queda (sp) would go after bigger scares. And a little more research since you like links will find that authorities considered their plan hair brain (ah, in plain english...looney tunes).

Rick

JD
    Administrator
    I'm sure they would have thought the same about 9/11.

Crashing planes into buildings? That's ridiculous.

Doesn't matter if it's crazy, blowing yourself up is crazy, it hasn't stopped them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I'm sure they would have thought the same about 9/11.

Crashing planes into buildings? That's ridiculous.

Doesn't matter if it's crazy, blowing yourself up is crazy, it hasn't stopped them yet.
    Actually no...a number of agencies (and FBI individuals) suspected and had this scenario...and blowing up not just any buildings...but the trade center...the heart of all money. An attempt was made 5 years earlier than 911 in France on hijacking an aircraft for a suicide.

Bang for the buck...won't cripple an Army post by a few guns...but a whole state by power plants etc etc...

Rick

The last I checked terror wasn't about crippling power plants, it was about terror. Imagine living in a country when the most secure of secure, a military installation was attacked. Imagine how people would feel everyday if an army base was attacked imagine what could happen at my school, shopping center, etc. Terror. Fear.

Check out the Northern Ireland and Israel and tell me how many power plants and financial centers they attack. Their targets are military and civilian personnel. Morale, fear, terror.

Now I have shown you facts.

I have responded to all of your call outs and skepticism with documented events.

- Where US military troops have spied for al queda and or attacked their own brothers.

- Where extremists were caught attempting to kill soldiers on a military base.

- Where there is no opsec and you can google how soft military installations are.

It is time to wake up and accept the facts.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Actually no...a number of agencies (and FBI individuals) suspected and had this scenario...and blowing up not just any buildings...but the trade center...the heart of all money. An attempt was made 5 years earlier than 911 in France on hijacking an aircraft for a suicide.

Bang for the buck...won't cripple an Army post by a few guns...but a whole state by power plants etc etc...

Rick
    True, but we're not talking about quarterbacking terrorist attacks here, the question was: Why Attack an Army Base?

While I don't think the plot schemers of the terror networks would waste the time, but it is obvious that smaller groups under their own leadership, like the ones mentioned here, are making plans and attempts to do it.

FWIW, there are tons of targets that make more "sense", but OTOH, the terror networks utilize expendable assets, so maybe an attack on a smaller Military installation isn't the main goal, but a diversion tactic??

...Actually no...a number of agencies (and FBI individuals) suspected and had this scenario...
    And a lot of good it did us...

No one is saying that they are going to continue this rational of target selection, only that it's not as crazy as it sounds, well actually it is crazy... but to those that don't know the fallacies of a Military target, a successful attack on an installation could incite panic in the region of the attack and draw attention away from a more logical target.

The terror networks goal with 9/11 was to destabilize our economy, and bring the US to it's knees, they failed, is it wrong to think that after this failure, that they may be thinking of other methods to shake the people?

Yes, back on topic, it would be a morale hit against the military and the country as a whole. Imagine a couple of hundred casuatlies on a military base. Not against untrained civilians, but against soldiers. That would be a real nasty for them to score.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    why are they attacking an army base?
    I see several reasons a terrorist would want to attack an army base:

1) Demoralize your enemy. Attack his rear areas and zones where he is supposed to be safe so his guard is down. Soft targets if you will. Make the enemy feel unsafe where he is supposed to be safe. Terrorism 101.

2) Demoralize your enemies support base. You get to point out that you hit your enemy on his own soil at his own base thus attempting to demoralize the people who support the policy makers. Trying to affect policy basically.

3) Your own propaganda. You get to spout off how you hit your enemy, killed and wounded them all for the glory of your cause. Look at how powerful you are being able to do this. So in other words braggin' rights at the local watering hole/terrorist recruiting seminar.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint
    Wouldn't they have much more impact on a civilian target? Besides, people on an army base are well armed and can fight back. They would probably all be killed. Civilian targets aren't secure and would cause mass confusion, hysteria and maximum impact.
    Why not hit civilian and or infrastructure targets? They likely don't have the organization to do enough damage. Look at how quickly we come back from catastrophic events. I'm not saying back to the way it was before, but to restore basic needs of the people, we do it pretty well. An infrastructure target may be an inconvenience or a bit more, but it is also something that could be "covered up" like the Japanese balloon bombs that hit the western US during WWII. Nope for terrorism to work it has to be visible and easily identifiable as terrorism.

As for bases being a bastions of armed folks, we know this isn't the case. There are exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions. If the BGs do their homework they will avoid the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint
    Sounds like these guys aren't so bright.
    Some aren't real bright. Some are. The ones dying in the field probably aren't so bright. The planners a bit more I would think. I would actually be surprised if most of the planners are even true believers, versus whack jobs that like figuring out ways to kill people.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

exactly an army post is a high profile target. the east coast power grid may get headlines for a week after the power is back on so they can print the papers. like a few years ago when a tree branch fell not far from where i live and knocked out the lights. (said tree branch was subsequintly burned for a little more warmth the following night.) thing is kill the lights it could be anything. knock down an army base its obvious ali-baba was there.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Quote Originally Posted by Shotdown View Post
    OPSEC anyone?
    I was reading this the other day and thought the same thing as Shotdown. Came home and got the local paper from Hurlburt Field (local military base). They were running a story on the rules for weapons on base (Basically no one but the cops can have them). OPSEC is great, but when your PAO runs a story in the local paper that everyone has access to telling everyone you are unarmed, what can you do?
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the Congress is in session."
    Mark Twain
    S&W M&P 40

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links