Why attack an army base?

This is a discussion on Why attack an army base? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good point, Mike. The big signs at the front gate are pretty clear, as well. Cheers, Herk...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why attack an army base?

Good point, Mike. The big signs at the front gate are pretty clear, as well.

Cheers,
    Herk

2. Remove Ads

and the memo's to every delivery joint in the area and all the taxi companies.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

sorry folks but the truth is that if someone wanted to attack a military base they would have better results than most imagine.
    1 POWs thats privately owned weapons, are stored in the arms room, and takes damn near an act of congress to get to. Ok i lied a company grade officer can get your weapon released, but then you got to find the armory sgt, etc etc, took me 12 hours to get my shotgun out to go home on a 48 hour pass, basically meaining I wasted 1/4th of my free time, IN all fairness IF I had planned better it would not have been a problem, but my point here is that when SHTF if it took 12 hours it will take at least 4 hours to get. By that time the MP detachment would have gone full alert, and any rdf on post would be called up as well, but the avereage joe is boned, OF course nothing beats aggression like aggression, and even unarmed a few good groudpounders can at the very least stop 4-6 mags full of ammo while they charge with fixxed bayonettes.

Here is a great story to reinforce my point, in the early 90's I got reassigned to fort Hood Tx, I was a gung ho paratrooper who could not stay on jump status because of a knee injury, so I got sent to mechland, (yeah you should be crying already) one day we get railhead duty, because the gear was being moved via rail to other areas they had to have a security detachment, I was issued the Mark3 Iapd Improved antipersonell device, I am sure many others have had the same weapon issued to them for such duty. basically leaving me vulnerable to anyone with a .25 caliber pistol, now of course if anyone really wanted to hijack a train full of armored vehichles I dont think any level of resistance would stop them but the Mark3 IAPD is a joke.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Besides, people on an army base are well armed and can fight back. They would probably all be killed. Civilian targets aren't secure and would cause mass confusion, hysteria and maximum impact.
    Most people on an Army base aren't armed... very few are in fact.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Except for MP's, virtually NONE are armed. exactlymypoint, do you have any idea how long it would take to get them to open up the arms room, then access ammo, then issue it out? Impossible! What a shame. We send these young folks into harm's way, but don't trust them with loaded weapons in their own back yards!

I was active duty during Sept 11th. We were alerted and while I won't go into details, we were put on alert for an "probable attack" on our military base. Let me tell you, if and when the shtf and a conus military base is attacked, the arms room can issue weapons pretty quickly, the problem is ammo. We had our full battle rattle on, weapons issued, crew-served weapons on vehices and we were out at key access points to the base pretty quickly. We had the entire base which at that time was an "open-post" secured and locked down pretty fast. The problem we had was ammo. We were issued ammo a few hours later by a truck going from defense position to defense position issuing out ammo. Don't worry I am not compromising opsec in any way whatsoever, all the info I just said was published in the local paper a few months afterwards.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Most military people in the states are defenseless on a base. They are a source of major weapons and explosives if you can take over a armoury.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

i always keep at least a rifle and a few boxes of .223 in the armsroom just in case. fortunatly the armourer is in the room next door to me(and i keep top on speed dial) so its only a few minutes from being alerted to being armed. it also helps to keep a range pass so if anyone asks why you used a personal weapon/ammo you can say you were going hunting. sure its in a grey area but better than starting a ruckmarch to fiddlers green sooner than i have to.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Any attack on an active US military base would be a big feather in the hat of the Islamic terror organization that planned and carried out the attack. Moral support and monetary support for that organization, as well as Islamic terror organizations in general, would increase world wide among the Muslim population.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links