In uniform off duty(rant) - Page 3

In uniform off duty(rant)

This is a discussion on In uniform off duty(rant) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My brother (ANG) wears his ACU often. He works at his unit during the week at times and fails to go home and change into ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: In uniform off duty(rant)

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    My brother (ANG) wears his ACU often. He works at his unit during the week at times and fails to go home and change into civilian clothes. Other times, he just wants to wear his uniform. I don't know why but apparently it is not against the rules.

Marines are authorized the service uniform (green & khaki) and blues for leave, liberty, and travel. I have worn my Service Bravo during travel and on base when I was going to my brother's AIT grad for sake of not having to pack them. I don't recall wearing any uniform at any other time that it wasn't required.

I agree that in uniform is not the time to be remotely acting stupid but I don't think that there is generally something wrong with wearing a uniform 'off duty' if allowed by the command.

Additionally, the only time that I have worn or seen [Marine] cammies 'in public' was when I been to and from drill and special projects for the company.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    I'm wasn't talking about overseas - but if you go out and about in most countries around the world in uniform when you're not required to, you don't have the sense your momma gave you - I was talking about BDUs (or equivalent), in CONUS, at places where there is no reason to wear BDUs.

I'm a young(ish) guy. I'm in shape. I have a short haircut. I have 16 years of military built into me. I'd be willing to bet you'd peg me for an IT contractor or an NGO do-gooder if you saw me in the Frankfurt airport, or a hotel in Kuwait. You don't HAVE to scream 'military' if you don't want to - there's a time and place for it, of course, but it ain't overseas and it ain't at the mall.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

When I was in, we still wore green fatigues. That was an absolute NO-NO off post. We had the PX for shopping and gas stations on post, and they were serious about uniforms off post, unless you were in Class A or B.

I dislike that very much.....and I'mone of those "DIGIT's" who will say something.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat35 View Post
    i just have to get this out of my system. every time i go to the nearby wall-mart, mall, or any other off post business i see at least 4 soldiers in uniform wandering around. sure its understandable to run some errands right after work or on your lunch break but for crying out loud at 20:00!! what do these idiots think they're doing. and whats worse i can't even go into an airport bar and not find some soldier getting drunk in uniform. I'm sick of these people making me and every other soldier out there doing the right thing look bad. sure i make it a point to correct them and have often told someone to go change if they are going to get drunk but they're everywhere. haven't these people heard of a thing called opsec? i know I'm probably preaching to the choir but its really getting my goat.

disclaimer: if you are one of the people that do this please realize that it is a violation of uniform standards and i will not apologies if you are offended by that.
    The getting drunk thing I support, but, what is wrong with going ashore in uniform? From your post one could not tell what type of uniform you meant. Utilities no; but, class A or seasonal service C is ok.

When I started flying in the AF we wore our blue shirts/slacks in the squadron and only wore flight suits on the day we flew. Then CINCSAC decided we were "warriors" and flight suits became the daily uniform (BDU's for non-flyers). From that point forward it was always an "issue" about where you could go wearing those uniforms. Most installation commanders where I was stationed allowed them to be wore off base for stops to/from work. That was expanded to lunch at eating establishments where there was no wait staff (ie, fast food).

I've been out since '04 so not sure what the "standard" is now but I have seen many out and about in BDUs/utilities. I assumed it was becauswe are "at war."

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    In the Marines, cammies (BDU's) were never authorized for leave, liberty, or travel.

Sadly, that doesn't appear to be the case anymore.

You need to come up here and think that. They better not get caught in town in BDUs. They have tightened some things up around Parris Island and MCAS Beaufort.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Back to the OP--now that you have vented, are you going to do anything about it?

For current AD military, IRT going "off-post"--as discussed with my SNCOs in the D.C. area:
    AF--worn to/from work, lunch in town, or short stops on the way home (too flexible, IMHO)
    Army--ACUs cannot be worn in any place that serves alcohol
    Navy--Chiefs & above, khakis OK; E6 and below: no working uniforms--Johnny Cash's--OK
    Marines--to/from work, NO stops (unless drive-thru)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Just to add another sandburr under your saddle blanket... what about all these inactive reserves/guards that are doing their weekend duties hitting the bars after their weekend is up? You wouldn't believe the number of them hitting the VFW's and American Legions in their BDU's. The old vets just sucker up for them. They never have to pay for a drink!

navy old timer. when i joined you were not allowed to leave the ship or station in civies. you had to be in dress uniform to leave and to return to your duty station. except for officers, over the years things changed , soon chief petty officers could wear civies. then E6 etc. drinking in dress uniform depended on how dry you were. after a three month cruse. wow it did get dry. things change. did 22 years, went thru lots of changes.

i honestly don't see what you guys are gettin in a tizzy about this for. i'm a Soldier through and through, and feel more myself in ACU/BDUs than in civies, even off post, to be honest. it doesn't have jack to do with OPSEC either. now, you may argue that it's a Force Protection issue, but not OPSEC. but, the way i look at it is if, in the extremely unlikely and stupid event some terrorist wants to mess with me, i've just got one of these cowards to show their hand...and identify themselves as such. worst case is that the Army loses 1 Soldier, and catches a terrorist(s) that is capable of taking a bunch of civilian lives. chances are i can handle him(them) anyway, more than they can handle me. this changes depending on the area you are in, of course (especially OCONUS). but, i'd say it's pretty silly to make these generalizing rants for everyone, anywhere.

i'm sure you don't care what i think, but you should know i'm not the only one that thinks this way. the general thoughts on ACU/BDU wear have changed since we became a "nation at war(TM)". people respect the military, and the powers that be feel it's beneficial for folks to see us in a combat uniform during these times. in fact, it's now encouraged during conus travel, and only prohibited off base if some local commander makes it policy, or if the soldier is going to a place that primarily sells alcohol. if you have to throw regs around (which is usually a sign of a weak leader imo), maybe you missed that DA ammended 670-1 to what i just stated in Feb 05.

i also see no reason not to ccw while in uniform. i have not seen anything indicating it's against policy/reg/law to ccw while in uniform (off post). i do frequently.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

sorry about my lack of details. im refering to acu's, bdu's, coveralls, flightsuits and such. if your in your A's or B's thats not bad you might be stuck on some recruiting detail or wanting to look sharp for some occasion(i know several people that own no other "suit"). theres nothing wrong with being proud to serve or even trying to look sharp by wearing your class A's and such its just irritateing seeing such flagrant disregard of the division standard, and every opsec/forcepro breifing we have to sit through. and im fairly sure its one of the main reasons there are so many.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

To put it plain and simple, when I am out of uniform you wouldn't be able to pick me out out a crowd of civillans. My hair is always within regs, a simple low cut makes me look like any other black man on the street. My ear rings and tatts help my civi dress also.Now in uniform, everything is how it should be. Uniform sharp and crisp and boots glowing.

I know the regs are different per branch of service and based upon base commander. I also know this much when you are in uniform you are representing me and everyone else who has put on God's greatest uniform. I also know the AF regs for dress and apperance seeing as that is what I am under. Each branch of service is governed by the UCMJ meaing if I happen to be at wall mart, the mall or a gun shop and you are there in uniform, fine I'm not going to get into your business unless you are acting in a way that is demeaning to the US Military. If you happen to be AF and your uniform is out of regs, you'll quickly know.

-Alex
    -Never insult a man you are not prepared to fight, and never fight a man you are not prepared to kill.

The 'tizzy' for me is the outright breaking of base and uniform regulations. Weakness of leadership would be allowing that to continue if I know it to be wrong.
    Now, I'm a sailor and have only limited knowledge of the other services uniform requirments.......but I know what should and shouldn't be off my base.
    The bottom line is common sense.....
    and pride in at least yourself.
    Last edited by goldshellback; January 10th, 2008 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Ooops
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    i honestly don't see what you guys are gettin in a tizzy about this for. i'm a Soldier through and through, and feel more myself in ACU/BDUs than in civies, even off post, to be honest. it doesn't have jack to do with OPSEC either. now, you may argue that it's a Force Protection issue, but not OPSEC. but, the way i look at it is if, in the extremely unlikely and stupid event some terrorist wants to mess with me, i've just got one of these cowards to show their hand...and identify themselves as such. worst case is that the Army loses 1 Soldier, and catches a terrorist(s) that is capable of taking a bunch of civilian lives. chances are i can handle him(them) anyway, more than they can handle me. this changes depending on the area you are in, of course (especially OCONUS). but, i'd say it's pretty silly to make these generalizing rants for everyone, anywhere.
    I agree to a certain point, and I'm VERY comfortable in uniform, but if you think you can 'handle' having grenades thrown into your prefered recreation establishment - chosen because service members frequent it - I'd beg to differ. Terrorists aren't muggers; they're not going to come after you with a Louisville slugger so you can take it away from them and beat them with it... Worst case is NOT that the Army loses one soldier, it's that you have selected the site of the attack based on your clearly marked status as a priority target, and everyone around you that gets killed will probably not appreciate that.
    i'm sure you don't care what i think, but you should know i'm not the only one that thinks this way. the general thoughts on ACU/BDU wear have changed since we became a "nation at war(TM)". people respect the military, and the powers that be feel it's beneficial for folks to see us in a combat uniform during these times. in fact, it's now encouraged during conus travel, and only prohibited off base if some local commander makes it policy, or if the soldier is going to a place that primarily sells alcohol. if you have to throw regs around (which is usually a sign of a weak leader imo), maybe you missed that DA ammended 670-1 to what i just stated in Feb 05.
    Um, upholding written policy isn't 'throwing regs around,' it's following orders. We tend to frown in disobeying direct orders in the military, don't we? It is still the base commander's discretion - if you aren't violating his orders, then good for you. Still a silly idea IMO, more or less so depending on where you are, but if you're not going against policy then it's your choice.

i also see no reason not to ccw while in uniform. i have not seen anything indicating it's against policy/reg/law to ccw while in uniform (off post). i do frequently.
    Again, post commander/chain of command decision. At least one CG in Alaska has forbidden his troops from carrying anywhere, at any time, in any uniform. I seriously doubt that he's alone. I'd be very, very thourough in checking the policies that you fall under.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links