Where is the ACLU ? Illegal search - invasion of privacy

Where is the ACLU ? Illegal search - invasion of privacy

This is a discussion on Where is the ACLU ? Illegal search - invasion of privacy within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; America buys anti-terrorist spotter device from QinetiQ - Times Online From The Times January 14, 2008 America buys " anti-terrorist " spotter device from QinetiQ ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is the ACLU ? Illegal search - invasion of privacy

Post Where is the ACLU ? Illegal search - invasion of privacy

America buys anti-terrorist spotter device from QinetiQ - Times Online

From The Times
    January 14, 2008
    America buys "anti-terrorist" spotter device from QinetiQ
    Angela Jameson

Transport authorities in the United States have purchased a British-designed device to protect American stations and airports from the kind of terrorist attacks launched in Madrid and London.

QinetiQ, the former Ministry of Defence research unit, will announce today that the US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has purchased its SPO threat detection system as part of a package of measures designed to improve security for travellers in America.

Described as a sniffer dog for the 21st century, QinetiQ’s device can see through clothing to detect explosives. Unlike the X-ray technology used in airports at present to locate guns and knives, it is suitable for quickly scanning large crowds.

The deal between the American transport authorities and the British company comes after a successful trial of the technology at the Staten Island ferry terminal and at Pier 90 in New York.

The TSA has bought 12 SPO units under a contract that allows for additional purchases over the next two years.

QinetiQ believes that its system is particularly effective in busy places because it can detect explosive devices from many metres away without passengers having to slow their pace.

The contract with the TSA has been made possible through QinetiQ’s rapid expansion into the American market in the past three years, after it made a series of acquisitions of small defence technology companies that formed the backbone of a new QinetiQ North America subsidiary.
    anti-terrorist my
    the .gov, using the "terrorist card" to work around civil liberty

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    If it can detect explosive devices at airports or where ever, as the article indicates..got no problem with it what so ever. In a way, no different than metal detector.

Rick

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    This is excellent technology. I would hope this expands to not only airports but large arena events, too.

I may find ammo and GSR on your hands. So wash your hands after the range!! I just hope they don't put it on the street with a camera and try to arrest everyone that sets it off.
    Last edited by rljohns; January 14th, 2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Fix format

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    If it can detect explosive devices at airports or where ever, as the article indicates..got no problem with it what so ever. In a way, no different than metal detector.

Rick
    As long as they use it appropriately. I carry heat every time I'm at the airport dropping someone off or picking them up. I can just see them putting me at gunpoint while I'm legally carrying outside the boarding areas.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    I may find ammo and GSR on your hands. So wash your hands after the range!! I just hope they don't put it on the street with a camera and try to arrest everyone that sets it off.
    This is also true if you travel using a bag that has residual from a weapon or bullets. It will set off alarms during screening resulting in a more indepth screening.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    As long as they use it appropriately.
    Extreme legal vigilance is required to ensure that. And even then, there are no guarantees. "Correction" of abuses comes out the end of a very tight squeeze for folks being taken down, examined and spat out. That's the tough part about these broad-stroke applications.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    For the record I work for the FAA in a small airport. I have been here for 5 years and with the Govt. for 15. I deal with TSA and the local airport police every single day that I work so I get to know these people very well. What I've been told, because I've asked, is that most TSA technology will not pick up gunpowder residue or cleaning fluid (I still use stinky Hoppes #9)on your hands. My understanding is that the sniffer machines are set for much higher levels of smell. I will ask one of my buddies what they know about the new unit discussed in this thread, but I doubt they will ever be deployed in a small town like mine.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    As long as they use it appropriately.......
    Do you really believe they wont abuse it ?

I for one, believes its an X-RAY machine and can detect "more than" just explosive debree.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibez View Post
    Do you really believe they wont abuse it ?
    What? You don't trust our government?

This is just some of the stuff you do know about!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Yikes!

Qinetiq's SPO units are cameras that use millimetre wave technology combined with software algorithms to screen people one at a time. The technology detects and measures the waves naturally emitted by the human body and determines if there are any cold objects - such as metals, plastics and ceramics - concealed under a person's clothing. Suspicious objects trigger an alert on the display monitor, prompting the operator to search the individual.

TSA orders Qinetiq security system - News - The Engineer - [News: engineering news, engineering info, latest technology, manufacturing news, manufacturing info, automotive news, aerospace news, materials news, research & development]

I wonder if this thing can make you sterile?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Trust the government?

I've had the explosives "swab" done to my hands several times usually when I legally checked a weapon. I asked once what would happen if I'd just come from the range. They called the head dude over since they thought I was being mouthy, and he told me that if I had residue on my body, I would be removed, and probably miss my flight.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ibez View Post
    I for one, believes its an X-RAY machine and can detect "more than" just explosive debree.

Yeah...I hear it can read your every thought; determine when the last time you washed your underwear was; and tell what Season Pass shows you have your TIVO set for. All while you are walking through the airport. Evil magic, I tell you...evil magic!!!!
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I've had the explosives "swab" done to my hands several times usually when I legally checked a weapon. I asked once what would happen if I'd just come from the range. They called the head dude over since they thought I was being mouthy, and he told me that if I had residue on my body, I would be removed, and probably miss my flight.
    This is absolutely unacceptable....

Do they realize they work for the American people (just like I do)?

I guess you are just supposed to show your papers and speak only when spoken to.

morons
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links