LEO's simulated training - on CNN

This is a discussion on LEO's simulated training - on CNN within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ran across this tonight re: U.S. Marshall Service training. Suspected killers -- beware of these guys - CNN.com...

Thread: LEO's simulated training - on CNN

Ran across this tonight re: U.S. Marshall Service training.

Suspected killers -- beware of these guys - CNN.com
    "The right of self-defense is the first law of nature..."

No Apology

That's a cool little FATS trainer.......I enjoy doing that but our trainer isn't near that nice.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Cool, cool, cool.
    I want one (the simulator) for Christmas...

Administrator
    FATS is a great tool in limited doses. We have one in the basement, I am an instructor on it. I wish people who like to monday morning quarter back or think they are commandos could use the system... it can expose faults in a hurry, but it also can boost confidence. It is a neat item to have.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    FATS is a great tool in limited doses. We have one in the basement, I am an instructor on it. I wish people who like to monday morning quarter back or think they are commandos could use the system... it can expose faults in a hurry, but it also can boost confidence. It is a neat item to have.
    I'll take you up on that!

thats pretty nifty.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Ya, put me in the class, too.

I guess the next best thing would be to play airsoft games with a bunch of buddies. Are there "practice" scenarios written down some where?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Sixto,

Which weapon system(s) is your set up for?
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

That is awesome. It would be the ultimate dry-fire training environment for me. I have a beamhit with in-barrel laser and do between 75 - 100 draw/fire/hit target's about 5x/week. It helps me with the bio-mechanics of drawing and firing and gives feedback. But this system is a real simulator and gives simulation on shoot/no shoot. That is some serious training. I want one for my basement.

Sixto - does your system have that coil connected to the pistol? I am guessing that it somehow uses pneumatics (SP?) to simulate recoil. I could be wrong. Is my guess correct or incorrect? If incorrect, what is it for?

I am nerdy and have been looking into implementing some primitive form of enhancing the beamhit with video display and feedback (via image analysis of the video displayed on a wall). Also, I have been recently looking into simulating recoil from a handgun round. My initial research has brought me to haptic controllers and motors with eccentric weights. I am going to have to buy my physics instrutor buddy some beers and pick his brain on this. I am pondering the feasibility of making some type of haptic controller that would fit the form of a pistol magazine. I know alot of blue sky thoughts. But with time, they can be done.

Sixto - what is your definition of limited doses? Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Agreed. I have worked as a "Role-Player" for a government academy in the past. I've never done or seen a FATS system myself, but I've heard it used in comparison to some of the sims we've run using Simunitions. I've heard it can be really good but the dynamics involved with the possibilities of RL pain and actually trading loud gunfire is tough to match.

Everything has its place, though. Personally I think those systems are wonderful.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

i would really like to try that out ,i want one also.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Sponsored Links