Tennessee, Jump on This--All Others, Read and Heed: Bullet Coding

This is a discussion on Tennessee, Jump on This--All Others, Read and Heed: Bullet Coding within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bill Information for SB3395 Tennesseans, be certain to contact your state senators to oppose the above bill, the "Ammunition Accountability Act." Some of the relevant ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee, Jump on This--All Others, Read and Heed: Bullet Coding

VIP Member

Angry Tennessee, Jump on This--All Others, Read and Heed: Bullet Coding

Bill Information for SB3395

Tennesseans, be certain to contact your state senators to oppose the above bill, the "Ammunition Accountability Act."

Some of the relevant language:

"(4) Bullet coding is a new and effective way for law enforcement to quickly identify persons of interest in gun crime investigations.
    SECTION 3.
    For purposes of this act, "coded ammunition" means a bullet carrying a unique identifier that has been applied by etching onto the base of the bullet projectile.
    SECTION 4.
    (a) All handgun and assault weapon ammunition manufactured or sold in the state after January 1, 2009, shall be coded by the manufacturer.
    (b) No later than January 1, 2011, all non-coded ammunition for the calibers listed in this act, whether owned by private citizens or retail outlets, shall be disposed."

Here is a copy of the email I sent to my senator, Jim Tracy:

"Senator Tracy, I respectfully urge you to do everything possible to defeat the "Ammunition Accountability Act," SB 3395, sponsored by Senator Reginald Tate from Memphis. This bill, if enacted, would cause the price of ammunition to skyrocket in the state, if indeed any ammunition manufacturer were willing to sell ammunition manufactured to such an expensive and exacting (not to mention unproven) standard.* This bill is indeed nothing more than an end-run around both the United States and Tennessee Constitutions' provisions with regard to keeping and bearing arms. Indeed, perhaps the more appropriate title for this bill might be the "Tennessee Victim Self-Defense Denial Act."

"Such a standard of manufacture might make law enforcement acquisition of ammunition extremely difficult as well. On the other hand, to believe that criminals (who already are willing to break existing laws with severe penalties against murder, armed robbery, rape, and other heinous crimes) will not simply illegally obtain regular ammunition in other states and import such ammunition into Tennessee to further their criminal enterprise is laughable on its face. Again, I sincerely request that you expend every effort possible to defeat this dangerous, pernicious bill.

"I would like to receive your honest assessment of the likelihood of this bill becoming law during this General Assembly.

"Thank you for your service to your constituents, and to all citizens of Tennessee.

"* Given that all manufactured firearms ammunition of which I am currently aware, except for some exotic non-cased ammunitions, propel the bullet through the barrel and out of the muzzle of the firearm by virtue of the force of expanding, hot gas applying thrust to the base of the bullet, I must question if any current technology exists which will not prevent the marking proposed for the base of the bullet in this bill to become melted, defaced, or otherwise unreadable. I have heard of schemes which seek to etch a firearm's serial number onto a firing pin to mark fired casings (easily defeated by replacing with an after-market firing pin), but I have never heard of this "technology" before...."

I hope this has virtually no chance of passing anyway, but let's hasten its demise by contacting your senators:

Tennessee Senate Members

BTW, Senator Tracy is a strong supporter of the RKBA, NRA "A" rating.

2. Remove Ads

Where do these stupid state reps get these crazy ideas? California relatives? Didn't Maryland abandon this similiar practice because it was expensive and ineffective? Can't anyone learn from Maryland's lessons?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Moderator
    Where do these stupid state reps get these crazy ideas?
    Stupidity knows no bounds.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Why don't they code criminals?

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    (b) No later than January 1, 2011, all non-coded ammunition for the calibers listed in this act, whether owned by private citizens or retail outlets, shall be disposed."
    Hmmm.....This is actually an anti ammo stockpiling bill also. All your k's of ammo stocked up for shtf/gun control must be used or disposed of by 2011.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

This may border on the most asinine idea I've ever heard. It's time for manufacturers to put a stop to this kind of nonsense NOW. Every ammo manufacturer should make it clear to the State Legislature that if this bill passes, they will no longer sell ANY ammunition in the state and this includes sales to law enforcement departments.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Where do these stupid state reps get these crazy ideas? California relatives? Didn't Maryland abandon this similiar practice because it was expensive and ineffective? Can't anyone learn from Maryland's lessons?
    Evidently, from the sponsor of the discredited legislation in Maryland. From NRA-ILA website:

NRA-ILA :: Legislation

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Friday, January 25, 2008

In 2007, the sponsor of “encoded ammunition” legislation in Maryland urged lawmakers across the country to introduce the same kind of legislation in their states. This legislation would require ammunition manufacturers to engrave a serial number on “the base of the bullet and the inside of the cartridge casing of each round” of ammunition for popular sporting caliber center-fire rifles, all center-fire pistols, all .22 rimfire rifles and pistols, and all 12 gauge shotguns

I think they'll have to make those .22 caliber bullets a little bigger so that the 20 or 22 digit serial number will fit on them. On the 12 gauge shotguns, do they plan on serializing each pellet? So stupid.
    Wouldn't you know these ideas would be coming out of democratic legislatures... Don't put anything past them when it comes to their desire to encroach on gun rights....

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Why don't they code criminals?
    ...and the politicians, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Besides all the obvious arguments it would be nice to get a response from the bill originator on calling them out on their stats.

Bullet coding is a new and effective way for law enforcement to quickly identify persons
    A) It's new. They know it. We know it.
    B) Seeing as it's new, how have they measured it's effectiveness?
    C) Again, as it's new, how can one quickly identify persons when there aren't even any bullets "coded" in the state yet?

D)
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

GPS
    Presumably, they would have to register each package of ammo to the original purchaser, who would then have to constantly monitor and guard each shell casing to make sure that it was never lost, stolen, or reloaded to be fired again by someone else and left at a crime scene. You would have to catch and somehow destroy or recycle every piece of brass. If you didn't, someone could pick it up off a range somewhere and toss them around a crime scene to throw the cops off their trail. Of course, the original purchaser would then be in a world of trouble being falsely blamed for a crime.
    Cordially,
    GPS

Visit U.S. Concealed Carry - The Ultimate Resource for the Armed Citizen http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/inde...ffID=GStrecker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    Presumably, they would have to register each package of ammo to the original purchaser, who would then have to constantly monitor and guard each shell casing to make sure that it was never lost, stolen, or reloaded to be fired again by someone else and left at a crime scene. You would have to catch and somehow destroy or recycle every piece of brass. If you didn't, someone could pick it up off a range somewhere and toss them around a crime scene to throw the cops off their trail. Of course, the original purchaser would then be in a world of trouble being falsely blamed for a crime.
    Evidently, these bills would require that an identifier be etched onto the base of the bullet.... Who knows how it would work from there?

Assistant Administrator
    More idiocy - thought up by people you cannot think properly at all.

More attempt by the cerebrally disadvantaged, probably in effort to continue 2A erosion by stealth - by any means they can dream up - even if moronic.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    Bill Information for SB3395

Tennesseans, be certain to contact your state senators to oppose the above bill, the "Ammunition Accountability Act."

Some of the relevant language:

"(4) Bullet coding is a new and effective way for law enforcement to quickly identify persons of interest in gun crime investigations.
    Why didn't the politician who came up with load of BS just call it what it is? Call it the"Make Legal Ammunition Almost Impossible To Buy Act" and be done with it. Oh wait, that would require the Anti-Gun crowd to be honest. My bad!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links