Been a busy 24 hours for Amarillo PD

This is a discussion on Been a busy 24 hours for Amarillo PD within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Standoff at Sungate Apartment Complex AMARILLO -- A man with a high-powered rifle caused a stand-off at a local apartment complex Tuesday. The SWAT team ...

Thread: Been a busy 24 hours for Amarillo PD

VIP Member

Been a busy 24 hours for Amarillo PD

Standoff at Sungate Apartment Complex
    AMARILLO -- A man with a high-powered rifle caused a stand-off at a local apartment complex Tuesday. The SWAT team was called in after a man fired shots when police tried to serve a warrant. According to police, around 11:30 a.m., officers were at the Sungate Apartment complex to serve a warrant on Roman Martinez. They believe he was in a white van leaving the complex. When he saw the officers, he allegedly jumped out of the vehicle and fired one shot. Martinez then ran into the complex. Members of the SWAT team went door-to-door looking for the suspect Monday afternoon. Some residents were evacuated and the streets around the complex were blocked off. According to Sungate management, Martinez is a former maintenance worker for the complex and was fired Monday.
    Around 5:30 p.m. last night, Martinez fired more shots at APD who then fired back.
    Finally around 9:30 p.m., the Amarillo SWAT Team was able to break through a window on the apartment Martinez was in.
    They used a mirror to search the apartment and found Martinez on the balcony dead.
    "We don't know if he died at the particular point from a round fired by one of the APD officers. At least two, if not three, SWAT members did fire at Mr. Martinez when he fired at them or whether it was a self-inflicted wound. He is in a position where we can't see that right at this moment," said Lt. Gary Trupe.

I've heard from a source this morning that this deceased suspect is the person that shot at an APD officer & friend of mine a couple of weeks ago

Tascosa High School Lockdown
    AMARILLO -- Tascosa High School was on lockdown Wednesday morning after a report that a suspicious person was lurking outside the school with a weapon resembling a machete. Police got the call around 9 a.m., and a lockdown was implemented for about an hour and a half. Amarillo Police say they have a description of the suspicious person. They described him as a white "student-age" male with red hair, wearing a black hoodie, and black pants with chains on them. Amarillo Police also say the suspicious person had a goth appearance. Students have been released from the lockdown and are free to go to class. Parents are welcome to take their kids home, but the Tascosa High School Principal says the school is safe and the lockdown was precautionary.

just goes to show, once again, it can happen anywhere anytime, even in Amarillo
    I say the school and APD were right to lock down in case this guy decided to do harm since he was at the school property, a bunch of people on a local news blog are saying they over-reacted....these are probably the same people that would be griping if they didn't do anything at all
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

2. Remove Ads

Then add two fatalities, one a 42 car and multiple trucks-including a fire truck overturned. Amarillo.com | Local News: Three dead in early morning accidents 01/31/08
    And an update on the gunfight of the wanted felon vs. the SWAT team
    Amarillo.com | Local News: Police bullet likely killed man 01/31/08
    What Would Gumby Do?

Administrator
    I hate days like that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Geez.......I hope the GG's were unscathed! Suicide by police seems to be gaining in popularity. I just with these dirtbags would save everyone a lot of grief and just bleed out in their own bathrooms. That way, nobody is endangered and no ammunition is wasted.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Links