Question for you vets out there - Page 3

Question for you vets out there

This is a discussion on Question for you vets out there within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SatCong Now that's true Navy. It was the same in the late 60's. The coffee made the Navy run! And it wasn't ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Now that's true Navy. It was the same in the late 60's. The coffee made the Navy run!
    And it wasn't quite right if it didn't have an oily sheen to it.

Now I don't drink the amount of coffee in a month that I used to in a day. I think I wouldn't sleep for a week if I did.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    And it wasn't quite right if it didn't have an oily sheen to it.

Now I don't drink the amount of coffee in a month that I used to in a day. I think I wouldn't sleep for a week if I did.
    If you had Mid- Watch and drink Navy coffee, you were wide eyed awake for sure. Old salt could walk down the side of your ship in rolling seas and never spill a drop.

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    If you had Mid- Watch and drink Navy coffee, you were wide eyed awake for sure. Old salt could walk down the side of your ship in rolling seas and never spill a drop.
    Oh yeah, mid watch was a definite coffee consumption period.

And the only coffee that I ever spilled was through the hole in my lip. Of course I have that problem now (the older I get the more I get on me than in me). And no, there are no additional holes in the facial area than came stock (except my left ear and that has everything to do with drinking, but nothing to do with coffee). So no pierced lips, tongues, eyebrows, noses, chins or what ever kids these days are piercing.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I was Navy from '86 to '93 (FC1 medically retired due to a destroyed right knee) and I had 3 things I always had on me. 1. Multi-tool made by someone. I think Crescent. 2. My Mini-Maglight 3. Coffee cup. It had the Navsta Norfolk MWR logo on it and was one of those made for sea service. Wide at the bottom and small at the top. Almost impossible to knock it over. I still have it though it is retired too now.

I drank gallons of coffee when we were out at sea. And in a pinch, when there was no coffee ready, it could also hold bug juice. Though, I'd almost rather drink bunker fuel than bug juice.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    A Penthouse and a box of Kleenx. Just kidding! Someone had to say it.

A pocket knife and a P38.

Bag Balm

1-oz. Tin of Bag Balm®, Hand Care, Gloves, Workwear - GEMPLER'S

+ broad brim hat

plus regular stuff like Swiss Army knife (before leatherman etc), TP, water, sunglasses, foot powder, x socks, cord and compass.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

I was Air Force from 93-97 munitions. My 2 things were sunglasses and sun tan lotion. They applied both for stateside and deployments.

Navy and coffee. They had it rough!

Mini Mag light and a multi tool. Crawling around under the equipment room of an LCF the maglight was handy 'cause you could hold it in your mouth. You could use the multi tool everywhere else on the site.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

As an old Senior Chief I always carried my coffee mug with name rank and organization on it, Never washed and filthy dark brown inside (kept other Sailors from using it,) the cup had a white ring on the inside just above the handle from hooking your thumb in it as you carried it around. When I retired I had to have the hooks in my thumb and index finger surgically repaired. There was nothing like going up to the peak (furtherst point of the bow,) with that cup of joe at sunrise and watching all the rest of the task force materialize out of the darkness, sure impressed you with the might and inexorable progression of our US first line of defense. As the president always says first in any crisis, "Where are the Carriers." I always also had an an air mattress - made all the difference in the world in rack comfort. However since it was a tubular style, it took some getting used to in heavy seas - tended to exacerbate the rolls.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

buck 110 and a gerber mark 1 (low serial number and since retired)

I was Army on a lot of Navy bases in the western hemisphere from 79-87

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    As an old Senior Chief I always carried my coffee mug with name rank and organization on it, Never washed and filthy dark brown inside (kept other Sailors from using it,)
    Senior Chief I would think your rank on it would keep other sailors from using it. I worked in a joint services shop and the Air Force Master thought it would be a funny thing to have the newb Army guy clean three coffee cups, his, the Chief's and another. The Chief was not amused.

I learned a lot about the Navy and Chiefs that day.

Always had a pocket knife and a lighter, and no I didn't smoke.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Senior Chief I would think your rank on it would keep other sailors from using it. I worked in a joint services shop and the Air Force Master thought it would be a funny thing to have the newb Army guy clean three coffee cups, his, the Chief's and another. The Chief was not amused.

I learned a lot about the Navy and Chiefs that day.

Always had a pocket knife and a lighter, and no I didn't smoke.
    Oh, don't jack with the coffee cups. Even in Nam we drank out of our canteen metal cups, never wrash them.The stain gave it class, we thought.
    Last edited by JD; February 3rd, 2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Removed bold format

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by stlwrkr View Post
    I was Air Force from 93-97 munitions. My 2 things were sunglasses and sun tan lotion. They applied both for stateside and deployments.
    That just plays into the AF stereotype!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Wash a coffee cup?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links