Question for you vets out there - Page 5

Question for you vets out there

This is a discussion on Question for you vets out there within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Non issue items that I carried in Vietnam included my Buck hunting knife and a Ruger .357 Magnum....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Non issue items that I carried in Vietnam included my Buck hunting knife and a Ruger .357 Magnum.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    As a FMF Corpsman I always had all kinds of extra stuff. But the major mandatory's were pretty similar. Wetwipes, Tabasco, 550, good pocket knife, and as any medic knows the allmighty trauma shears. Also always had my personal peak-1 stove in my ruck (can't make hot coffee with MRE heaters). And before hydration bladders became issue, always had my camelback.

Toilet paper and chap stick were always in my ruck sack. My theater was SWA so we were always in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    How about Ham & Beans and tabasco sauce, [B]YES![B]

C ration ham and limas! Holy moly I haven't thought of those in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post
    C ration ham and limas! Holy moly I haven't thought of those in years.
    The limas tore me up.

VIP Member
    A knife and flashlight....I still have my P38 too...but that sees more use in my regular job than my AFRES job.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Moderator
    a story of "non standard" equipment...

I wore a "chunk" necklace for emergency's. It was a piece of slow fuse with a 1/2" thick wide by 2 "long chunk of C-4 threaded on to it for use with a blasting cap that I kept in a small metal case for safety. The fuse was tied in a knot and worn around my neck.

Had to use in one night while I was camping out in the Philippine Jungle while on a Jungle Warfare Training exercise. Our camp had been getting raided by spider monkeys every night. They were stealing our food and running off with everything that wasn't tied down....especially anything that happened to be bright or shiny. There were a dozen or so monkeys and apparently were we camped in their turf...and they didn't like it at all. They were used to humans and they knew we wouldn't mess with them and they weren't scared of us one bit... even going so far as to throw turds at us.

We were told not to shoot any wildlife...ecpecially monkeys as the Philippine nationals didn't like that. The Gunny over the training made sure that we knew that. At the time, I thought it was odd that he mentioned that...not knowing what the future held for us in the next week.

I got tired of all the racket they were making and I got tired of missing stuff. It was hot, humid and the jungle smelled of rotting vegetation. I was thirsty and poured a cup of water with a canteen cup and was going to mix some Gatorade in it. I set the cup down on the ground and a stinking monkey grabbed it and ran off when I turned my back to do something else.

For some reason that did set well with me...in fact, it made me somewhat irate...It was the principal of the thing. I'd been robbed by a devious little monkey and I was sure that he was laughing at me. Those monkeys went from being cute at first to a full blown nuisance real quick.

So I started flipping what little change I had at that monkey. He would pick it up, examine it and run off and he and the other monkeys would fight over it. After doing that a few times, I got an idea. The monkeys got pretty brave, so I took my necklace and rigged it with a blasting cap and lit the fuse...which burned at a rate of 5 seconds per inch. I cut it 4 inches long, lit it and tossed it to the monkeys in the bush. Sure enough, one ran out and picked it up. He examined it, touched the lit fuse, screamed and threw it on the ground, which caused to other monkeys to run toward it and fight over it.

My plan worked beautifully and couldn't have been executed any better. That chunk of C-4 went off and promptly eliminated several of those monkeys,blowing monkey hair and monkey meat all over the jungle. It was one of the most satisfying things I had ever done.

We slept peacefully for the next two nights and then the exercise was over. After the blast, there wasn't a monkey to be seen the rest of the time. It was great. All was well until we went over our critique for the exercise and it was asked how we dealt with the monkeys. One of my buds mentioned that we didn't until I "took care" of it.

The GunnerySergant threw a fit and jumped all over us for violating orders not to shoot monkeys. My buddy volunteered that we didn't shoot any monkeys at all and that they were such a problem that we were forced to deal with it.It was then he learned of their demise and how I took care of it. A private conversation in his office with a few others revealed the details and I was called on the carpet.

After some discussion, I reminded the Gunny that he told us not to SHOOT monkeys, he didn't say anything about blowing them up. After some verbal abuse, he told me to leave and told me that If I ever pushed the limit like that again that I would be speaking with the base Colonel.
    And to think...he actually brought up the fact that I wasnt supposed to be carrying any explosives.

For some time after that, I was often asked if I happened to be wearing a "monkey necklace" any time we were training.

I heard that classes after ours were actually briefed on not only were they not to shoot any monkeys, but they werent to blow any up ethier.

Some times the truth is stranger than fiction.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Freakin' monkeys!
    everybody thinks they're cute and innocent untill they have to live around the little suckers. Good on ya!

that is hilarious!!!! need to go talk to the engi's bout gettin me one of those. but lately we keep getting briefed not to harrass the wildlife. i guess someone found a way around don't shoot or blow up the animals.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    My P38 and ration card for cigs, booze, & gasoline. I was in USAEUR.
    1. I still have my P38 on my key-ring, and I ETS'ed in 1985.... Best damn "field-expedient" tool ever made!

2. I had a "spice pack" that I carried for the C's. Got the idea from one of my Platoon Sergeants - went to the commissary, bought a sh_t-load of spices, dumped them all into a thick zip-lock bag, shook it up, and viola! - was able to subsist on (mostly) cold Spiced Beef (a.k.a. Alpo) and other C-rations for weeks at a time in the field in Germany.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Now that's true Navy. It was the same in the late 60's. The coffee made the Navy run!

And the Army - couldn't have lived without my daily doses of "Lifer-Juice".
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

when on the job with my old job, folder knife and unit one (med kit) at arms length 24/7.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

550 cord & Spyderco Police Model Knife. I still carry that knife everyday since 1993.
    "If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon, you will be a minister of death praying for war. "R. Lee Ermey---FMJ"

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    We were told not to shoot any wildlife...ecpecially monkeys as the Philippine nationals didn't like that....

I heard that classes after ours were actually briefed on not only were they not to shoot any monkeys, but they werent to blow any up ethier.

Some times the truth is stranger than fiction.

Great story!!

I'm a bit surprised by the "no touch monkey" rule though... When I went through JEST at Subic in 1991 the instructor told us we were more than free to grab a "monkey-be-cool stick" and apply as needed...
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Buck folding knife with brass endpieces, razor sharp; Gerber canted blade knife; Zippo lighter with Subic Bay on it; .45 and extra mags; an old stained great coffee cup; and my old beat up Navy folding cap as my "good luck charm." Was sure that without the cap, my luck would run out...strange how this thread awakens old memories...1960-1965 USN.
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links