Proposal to Raise Age to Collect Active Duty Retirement Pay

This is a discussion on Proposal to Raise Age to Collect Active Duty Retirement Pay within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In case anybody cares, the Commission on the National Guard & Reserves just released a report advocating changes in the retirement system. http://www.cngr.gov/Final%20Report/C...iveSummary.pdf There are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposal to Raise Age to Collect Active Duty Retirement Pay

Proposal to Raise Age to Collect Active Duty Retirement Pay

In case anybody cares, the Commission on the National Guard & Reserves just released a report advocating changes in the retirement system.

http://www.cngr.gov/Final%20Report/C...iveSummary.pdf

There are 95 recommendations. The one I refer to is #28. (It's a pdf file, and the text won't copy for me.) For 30 years of service, you could collect your retirement at age 57. For 20, it would be 60, and for 10 years, it would be 62. You would be penalized 5% for each year earlier you collected your retirement.

Regardless of the likelihood of this particular plan passing, the DoD is looking for ways to cut costs, and personnel is their biggest cost.

Cheers,
    Herk
    Last edited by Herknav; February 5th, 2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Factual error
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I think if you retire at 38 with 20 years in, you should be able to draw your retirement at 38.

Just more Penny pinching by the DoD
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

pgrass, you can, if you're active duty. Reservists are completely different. They have never been able to recieve retirement after 20 years of service. They always had to reach the preset age limit.
    If you worked part time for a company for 20 years, would you expect the same retirement as somebody who worked there full time?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

BerneyG,

What you are saying is correct. However, the proposal is to change both to one retirement system. Consequently, it would apply to AD as well as NG & reserves.

Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

On page 6, its says specifically,
    As you know, Congress chartered this Commission to assess the reserve component of the U.S. militry and to recommend changes to ensure that the National Guard and other reserve components are organized,....etc
    I understand that #28 says that they would like both systems to be the same, but it's not going to happen. It's outlandish, the commission has no jurisdiction, and after all, they are only recommendations.
    Also, 57 years old is younger than the current age of 60.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

I'm just letting people know what's out there. I remember the 40% BS during the Les Aspin years. I have also heard the AF/A1 talk about how personnel is their biggest cost. Make no mistake that they are looking for ways to trim this cost.

Where do you think decision-makers get their recommendations? It's from committees like this. Most of our reps have never served in the military, and most probably don't read half the stuff they vote on. My personal philosophy is to never underestimate the stupid ideas to come from the gov't.

Also, 57 years old is younger than the current age of 60.
    For the Guard and Reserves, yes. For the AD it would be a raise in the age.

Well, it would certainly cut costs, and enlistments, and re-enlistments. Yeah, I know they are looking to cut costs. They reinstituted the Eat for Freedom clause and have already kicked out a lot of people. I hope nothing comes of this.

Who is John Galt?

"I remember the 40% BS during the Les Aspin years."

He railed and caterwauled for decades about military spending when he was a member of the US House. Les sure was the sorriest Sec Def ever. He personally reviewed the equipment list for Somalia and told the Army not to take any tanks. We all know how that turned out.

Given the current recruiting and retention problems it is highly unlikely that any adverse changes will be made to military retirement. Bush is already going against one recommendation of Shalala/Dole board. He is wanting to pay concurrent receipt only to those wounded in combat. He would not allow concurrent receipt for those who are sickened with disease or hurt in non-combat situations.

Agreed that the likelihood is low. I just like to know what ideas "they" are toying with that might affect me in the future.

EW3

my $0.02

I saw it too, and took it as a kind of editorial from the Guard/Reserve side that points out that many, many Guard/Reserve forces with our two wars are on virtual active duty, yet they can't draw any retirement pay until age 60. Right now if you go in at 18, do 20 years of Active Duty, and retire, you are now drawing retirement pay from age 38 until you die.

My impression is that they are trying to point out this disparity and maybe come to some kind of agreement that is a little more fair to the Guard/Reserve side.

I too get a little nervous when they start talking about making changes and I'd be rightfully nervous if I were getting close to AD retirement.

I actually made the hard decision to ETS from the ANG in April of this year. If I were to do another 8 years THEN wait 17 more years, then I'd draw Guard retirement pay. 17 years is an awful long time for them to whittle that retirement pay down to nothing!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

When you retire, you should be able to collect.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I don't like it when the government uses the word 'change'.
    It usually involves someone grabbing their ankles.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

To be fair, congress should authorize full pay after serving a single enlistment. If it's good enough for a Capitol Hill seat-warmer, it should be good enough for men and women who actually do something for their county.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

My main problem with this is the people already on their way to retirement are going to get the butt end of this. If you are already in the military working your way to retirement, it is unfair to change the rules midway through the game. New recruits coming in, well thats another story. I disagree with changing the retirement system at all, but if they are going to change it, then people already serving should be exempt. It is simply not fair that people enlisted 5, 10, 15 years ago with the promise of the old system, then having the rules changed while they are serving. New recruits that know about the new system before enlistsing and then enlisting anyway knowing how the system works, well thats another story. If this passes, they need to make those already serving fall under the old system, and have the new system effect new recruits only.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

All the while I was active duty we were promised free medical care for life. By the time I retired, all dental was cut out and they had decided that dental didn't have anything to do with medical. This past year I spent $11,000 on fixing my teeth. 30 years of chewing tobacco wore them out. Then not long after I retired we started having to pay $490 a year for our Tricare Prime medical care for our family. We also have a $12 copay with each doctors visit and $30 for emergency care. Now I know it's a lot cheaper then folks that didn't retire pay but for 20 years we were promised "free medical care for life". It sucks that the governments word doesn't mean poop.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links